SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

1 hour ago, burd said:

Speaking of rural Minnesota culture, what's on the Angle up there on Lake of the Woods?   Any villages?   Rental cabins for fishing?  Sasquatch?

The golf course has been better than years past. Cabins to rent. Now the Marina, that’s a totally different can of worms…pizza was ok the last time I was there.

5 hours ago, burd said:

UND is still a national powerhouse and will continue to be for at least the near future.   And there are precedents, even in elite-dominated college BB.   Spokane is hardly a cosmopolitan city, yet small school Gonzaga can compete with anybody.    

Not to mention Lawrence, Kansas.

7 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

You’re right. Heck, I thought Denver made a drastic mistake getting rid of Gwoz and they would go downhill.  But they just keep getting better with each new coach. 

Considering this some more …

In his 8 seasons following a title, Berry is 1-4 in the NCAAs.

In his 8 seasons following back-to-back titles, Gwozdecky was 1-6 in the NCAAs. 

Seems like things may have paid off by firing a coach who managed 1 NCAA win in 8 seasons despite prior national championship success.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Benny Baker said:

Considering this some more …

In his 8 seasons following a title, Berry is 1-4 in the NCAAs.

In his 8 seasons following back-to-back titles, Gwozdecky was 1-6 in the NCAAs. 

Seems like things may have paid off by firing a coach who managed 1 NCAA win in 8 seasons despite prior national championship success.

Certainly paid off ten years ago in Madison when Mike Eaves was fired, and twelve years ago in East Lansing when Rick Comley was forced out by a disgruntled fan base.

Does a recruit want to go to a school where hockey is 3rd or 4th on the agenda or come to UND where it is #1 for a whole community? I think some players can't handle that kind of pressure, but if they want to get to the NHL they need to learn to handle that pressure. UND sets a player up to get used to that pressure and it shows with the number of players we have in the show at any given time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, rhenry8439 said:

Does a recruit want to go to a school where hockey is 3rd or 4th on the agenda or come to UND where it is #1 for a whole community? I think some players can't handle that kind of pressure, but if they want to get to the NHL they need to learn to handle that pressure. UND sets a player up to get used to that pressure and it shows with the number of players we have in the show at any given time. 

This is a very salient point. In the B1G, hockey is 3rd (4th if WBB is doing well). In the NCHC and even Hockey East, hockey is #1 or at least #1a.

45 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I’ve heard/read Stramel would like to stay in the Big10…curious if we would entertain that option 

Michigan State it sounds like.

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2024 at 10:11 AM, The Sicatoka said:

My portal predictions:

- UND won't be "most added from portal" this year (three, maybe four, but Merrimack is four already!) 
- the Rink Live spreadsheet will have 300+ names by May

- 'mack and Sacred Heart both at 4.
- 258 and counting on April 4. 

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Was Joaquim Lemay noticeable on Omaha's backend? Might be worth pursuing.

From what I’ve seen, hot and cold. Leans toward offensive at the expense of his job (defense). Takes ill advised penalties.

6 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

I had a feeling it was Kukkonen. Like trading stocks, look for ones with recent peaks that bottomed out. 18 goals as a freshman, 1 as a sophomore.

Was glad to hear that it wasn't Wilkie.  From the rumblings, it sounds like it is between UND and UW for Wilkie.

5 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Was glad to hear that it wasn't Wilkie.  From the rumblings, it sounds like it is between UND and UW for Wilkie.

Isn’t Wilkie supposedly visiting campus today? That’s why I thought it wouldn’t be him, along with the fact that it was teased by YHH, so I figured it was a Minnesota kid.