SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNO -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

Not sure I understand the fascination with Sandelin.  In 24 seasons with Duluth he has a grand total of zero regular season conference championships and five second place finishes.  He has made eight NC$$ tournaments. Not saying he is a bad coach but I just don't understand why anyone would think he should be the next coach at UND. 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Not even in the top 5
Aaron Schneekloth
Karl Goehring 

Matt Samby

Erik Fabian 

Coltan St. Clair

Dylan Simpson 

Evan Trupp 

I'd put all of these former players ahead of Sandy. 

I guess when the time comes we will see. 

5 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Not saying he is a bad coach but I just don't understand why anyone would think he should be the next coach at UND. 

As gfh says, because of those nattys man! ;)
In all seriousness though, he’d have one less title to his credit if it weren’t for Hunwick stealing that game for Michigan during the Frattin year. I have zero doubt that UND would have crushed UMD in that title game. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, rochsioux said:

Not sure I understand the fascination with Sandelin.  In 24 seasons with Duluth he has a grand total of zero regular season conference championships and five second place finishes.  He has made eight NC$$ tournaments. Not saying he is a bad coach but I just don't understand why anyone would think he should be the next coach at UND. 

I'm neutral on Sandelin and an obvious non-fan of Berry.  With that said, Sandelin is disadvantaged at every turn compared to everything UND has to offer from a hockey standpoint.  Berry took over a top-performing program and it has declined from where he started, despite the reasonable conference success.  Sandelin took over a struggling program and built it up to a three time national title winner.  I think the fascination comes from wondering what Sandelin could do with what UND has to offer compared to UMD.  I don't think Sandelin is the answer these days, but I'm also not convinced of promoting someone within the program that is currently there either.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, brianvf said:

As gfh says, because of those nattys man! ;)
In all seriousness though, he’d have one less title to his credit if it weren’t for Hunwick stealing that game for Michigan during the Frattin year. I have zero doubt that UND would have crushed UMD in that title game. 

Very true. 

Lackadaisical effort last night. Lost puck battles and races to the puck all game. Multiple opportunities to make plays if could've kept the puck on sticks. Good new the suns coming up. Still 3 (tied with DU) in Pairwise. UNO tied at 14.

Can't get swept. "Go East, young man" or was that the other direction (hopefully).

9 hours ago, brianvf said:

I’d bet Karl gets it. 
Dane has been around forever but he’s almost the same age as Berry. 

No, not really, Dane is 53. I am not sure why some think 53, 58 or 59 is that old. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rochsioux said:

All valid points. Unlike the on-ramp Gasparini, Blais, and Hakstol provided Berry, Mike Sertich’s lack of any success his last 15 years makes Sandelin’s 5 trips to the last 13 frozen fours fairly impressive.

Sandelin had to build his tracks and steam engine from the ground up; Berry just needs to keep his from going off the rails. 

9 hours ago, tnt said:

Don’t forget St. Cloud choking to Air Force paving the way to the Frozen Four where they had to beat Ohio State and Notre Dame before the Big Ten became more viable.

Nevermind getting into the tourney by .001, and Bowling Green choking away a late lead another year.  Like we said, you need good fortune along the way as well, like not having to play a well rested team like we did because of Michigan’s Covid forfeit. 

Don’t get me wrong, they did what they had to do in those circumstances, but you can’t deny the good fortune, and that going against us against BU and Duluth.  Who knows what happens if those circumstances flip in our favor, along with the Covid cancelled year.

And let’s not forget 1997, when (6) Cornell knocked off (3) Miami, giving UND an easier route to the frozen four to play (5) Colorado College who knocked off (1) Clarkson, before UND played (2) BU who knocked off (1) Michigan.

Yes, upsets happen. North Dakota did what they had to do in those circumstances, but you can’t deny the good fortune UND had that led to their 1997 national championship. 

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Dave Starman always says the team with the most talent wins 95% of the time. But according to people here, it's mostly luck.

How many college or NHL teams have had a 95% winning percentage?  Must be at least 1 per year by that logic.

The bookmakers seem to disagree.  I don’t recall many 20-1 dogs being offered.  It’s unusual  to see teams more than -250.

• Upvote 1

Gf is a quitter who only fills his lungs when UND loses.   Just my opinion based on these threads.  I’m sure I would think differently if I met him in person.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Dave Starman always says the team with the most talent wins 95% of the time. But according to people here, it's mostly luck.

With that logic UND should have 3 regulation wins and an OT win vs CC this season 

25 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

My comment was tongue-in-cheek, Brendan Morrison. ‘97 Sioux deserved their title just as much as the Bulldogs deserved theirs, but certainly more than your Wolverines did, even if you were “the best team” out there that year! ;)

Hey, I like listening to Starman, too. But I also believe he’s a goalie coach for an NA3HL team, so I’m not granting him the word of gospel when it comes to hockey just quite yet.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

You need your own thread. You can talk yourself in circles.

Then could also drink himself into a Stuper with Keystone Lites. He's only here to stir the post and get a reaction out of people.

4 minutes ago, Benny Baker said:

My comment was tongue-in-cheek, Brendan Morrison. ‘97 Sioux deserved their title just as much as the Bulldogs deserved theirs, but certainly more than your Wolverines did, even if you were “the best team” out there that year! ;)

Hey, I like listening to Starman, too. But I also believe he’s a goalie coach for an NA3HL team, so I’m not granting him the word of gospel when it comes to hockey just quite yet.

He's a professional scout too.

• Upvote 1