SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ UNO -- Penne Rose Hangover?

stoneySIOUX

I go back and forth debating if we should rest guys, get Hobie a night in net. From everything I've seen and dug into for the PWR predictor, we're pretty solidly stuck in third for the time being, but certainly can go up or down if we don't get some points this weekend.

Personally, I'd LOVE to sweep UNO and make them have to run the gauntlet in the NCHC tourney to be able to keep us out of Sioux Falls. They impressed me last time we played them, but clearly have been inconsistent all season. 

Let's sweep these guys. All cylinders firing heading into the playoffs. 

• Upvote 4

Giving Hobie a start in net is a good idea. You never know when you'll need him and he has shown he can play at this level.

We should take advantage of our depth and rest guys that are banged up. Give everybody some playing time so they are somewhat prepared if we need to put them in during the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Giving Hobie a start in net is a good idea. You never know when you'll need him and he has shown he can play at this level.

We should take advantage of our depth and rest guys that are banged up. Give everybody some playing time so they are somewhat prepared if we need to put them in during the playoffs.

I agree with this and I argue that's the reason NOT to start him. He's capable and we've learned that, so why not put our best on the ice? Just to clarify, I'm playing Devil's Advocate because I keep going back and forth with this idea myself lol.

Definitely agree to give banged up guys a rest, for sure. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I agree with this and I argue that's the reason NOT to start him. He's capable and we've learned that, so why not put our best on the ice? Just to clarify, I'm playing Devil's Advocate because I keep going back and forth with this idea myself lol.

Definitely agree to give banged up guys a rest, for sure. 

I imagine the coaching staff is having this same conversation amongst themselves.

Hobie backstopped UND to a win in the Saturday game against Omaha so I wouldn’t be opposed to him getting a start. Also wouldn’t be surprised if Zmolek sits out.

Either way, there is still something to play for and that is to minimize Omaha’s chances of getting into the tournament as them getting in would likely mean UND being placed elsewhere.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Hobie backstopped UND to a win in the Saturday game against Omaha so I wouldn’t be opposed to him getting a start. Also wouldn’t be surprised if Zmolek sits out.

Either way, there is still something to play for and that is to minimize Omaha’s chances of getting into the tournament as them getting in would likely mean UND being placed elsewhere.

Berry essentially said the same thing Tuesday morning when talking to Tim and Paul...he dosent want to go anywhere else

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

I don't think it's a bad idea to give Hobie a game because I don't think there is much to lose. I wouldn't be surprised in Zmolek gets a rest as he seems pretty banged up.

Benoit filled in nicely Saturday , the more expierence he gets the better for next year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I would start Hobie one of the games.  Not sure if matters which one.  For all you coaches and former players, would it be better to tell the back up he starting the first game or second game of a series?  I hope some of our normally healthy scratches (are there any?) get playing time as well.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Run full best available line up Friday.
Decide after that; but, for sure if Friday is a win I'd go with Hobie on Saturday. 

BUT.... what if BU losses tomorrow and we win Friday?

5 minutes ago, snooty89 said:

I would be shocked if Z-Mo played until the NCAA's.  Was on crutches Saturday night watching the game.  

They mentioned during the game and during the postgame that if it would have been a more important game, he would have been playing.
I'm not surprised that he's sitting against UNO (and maybe Miami as well), but I'd hope that he'd be back playing his regular shift by Frozen Faceoff (assuming the boys take out Miami, of course).

• Upvote 1