SiouxSports.com Forum

WMU @ UND -- Penne Rosa time?

stoneySIOUX

46 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

jk, why does it have to be BC. Too many flash backs to the early 2000s. Some painful losses there. I'll never forget watching Nate Gerbe absolutely curb stomp us. That being said, there are no guarantees when you hit the NCAA tourney. The only things that are certain are death, taxes and BC never having to travel more than 30 minutes from home.

The 2007 Frozen Frozen Four Semi-Final still haunts me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

What I like most about this post is that you're not getting ahead of yourself.

jk, why does it have to be BC. Too many flash backs to the early 2000s. Some painful losses there. I'll never forget watching Nate Gerbe absolutely curb stomp us. That being said, there are no guarantees when you hit the NCAA tourney. The only things that are certain are death, taxes and BC never having to travel more than 30 minutes from home.

The only way to expel the demons is to beat them in the NCAA tournament. It's a different decade and our team is built differently than it was in the mid to late 2000's.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The only way to expel the demons is to beat them in the NCAA tournament. It's a different decade and our team is built differently than it was in the mid to late 2000's.

Of course. This team is absolutely capable of winning the Nat'l Championship. Just depends on if they show up. I'll cut them some slack for not showing up in Colorado Spring after the off week. The overall product completely outweighs 1 bad weekend, especially given how they bounced back against the dawgs. This weekend will be pretty key against a program that is always though at home, I expect to see more dominance.

- Would love to see more of Dylan James flashing his speed. That needs to be a constant threat.

- Not that I love relying on transfers, even though we had so many this year, but as a Prior Lake guy, I would have loved to have seen Alex Bump in a UND sweater.

- Keep it rolling after last weekend! Head into the playoffs hot and don't look back! Win the pasta dish!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, burd said:

Screens, deflections, bad bounces, freaky own goals, pipes . . .    Winning both games at regional and both at FF takes luck in addition to good play.   A shot from the point that deflects off one or more bodies may be nobody's fault but the gods'.   That's why those shots from the perimeter through traffic can be so nerve-wracking even when the boys are playing well.  In a game where 2 goals can win the game, there's a shytpot full of chance in the hockey NCAAs.  Playing well is necessary but it is not always sufficient.  

Luck can certainly factor in, even when you are doing everything right .... so can hot goalies. Not sure what else UND could have done when playing against Michigan and Shawn Hunwick. That being said, I'll take the result if the boy show up and absolutely dominate the play. More often than not, if you dominate the game, you're going to win. But we have certainly seen that go the other way too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, burd said:

Screens, deflections, bad bounces, freaky own goals, pipes . . .    Winning both games at regional and both at FF takes luck in addition to good play.   A shot from the point that deflects off one or more bodies may be nobody's fault but the gods'.   That's why those shots from the perimeter through traffic can be so nerve-wracking even when the boys are playing well.  In a game where 2 goals can win the game, there's a shytpot full of chance in the hockey NCAAs.  Playing well is necessary but it is not always sufficient.  

Even looking back to the 2016 title, that fluky little goal from the point that the goalie just got a piece but it still managed to find its way in.  You maybe see one goal like that all year.

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Luck can certainly factor in, even when you are doing everything right .... so can hot goalies. Not sure what else UND could have done when playing against Michigan and Shawn Hunwick. That being said, I'll take the result if the boy show up and absolutely dominate the play. More often than not, if you dominate the game, you're going to win. But we have certainly seen that go the other way too.

Yeah, I feel that way too, but when it gets to regional and FF play, teams seldom absolutely dominate.  Note even sure the Circus completely dominated MSU in '87.  

3 minutes ago, burd said:

Yeah, I feel that way too, but when it gets to regional and FF play, teams seldom absolutely dominate.  Note even sure the Circus completely dominated MSU in '87.  

I completely agree with your point, but that is not a good example. I was at that game and they did dominate Michigan State. The game was never really in doubt. You are correct that is rare in regionals and Frozen Faceoffs though. I was at another FF where BC absolutely dominated both teams, including UND.

17 minutes ago, burd said:

It's my belief that there is much more parity today than in the 80's-90's.  The last 2 or 3 games of a 4 game title run and pretty close to being coin flips even for the 1 seeds.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I completely agree with your point, but that is not a good example. I was at that game and they did dominate Michigan State. The game was never really in doubt. You are correct that is rare in regionals and Frozen Faceoffs though. I was at another FF where BC absolutely dominated both teams, including UND.

Hey I was too.  At the end of the first it was 3-0 (after Murray Baron of all people scored) and I'm not sure MSU had three shots.  The concourse during the first intermission was spectacularly eerie, as the home faithful waited in line for their lukewarm weiners in stunned silence.  

1 hour ago, jk said:

Hey I was too.  At the end of the first it was 3-0 (after Murray Baron of all people scored) and I'm not sure MSU had three shots.  The concourse during the first intermission was spectacularly eerie, as the home faithful waited in line for their lukewarm weiners in stunned silence.  

I think the attendance was nearly 17,000, and 16,000 plus had to be Michigan State fans dresssed in green and white. It was a very quiet championship game. 

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

2008. The game was over halfway through the first period. Ugh.

44 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Yeah, BC thrashed us.   York had an amazing run there for a while. 

2 hours ago, jk said:

I recall the writers at the SP Pioneer Press saying that they didn't think anybody would be able to beat the Sioux in the NCAAs that year.  

And Harkness' undefeated team was just as untouchable--and almost as good in the adjacent years.   Not sure we'll see that kind of dominance throughout the tournament again, though.     

Until the boys steamroll this year.   :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, skateshattrick said:

I think the attendance was nearly 17,000, and 16,000 plus had to be Michigan State fans dresssed in green and white. It was a very quiet championship game. 

3 hours ago, jk said:

3 hours ago, burd said:

Count me as another at The Joe for a rout.   Parity in 2024 is much tighter than 1987.  

although …. Hrkac may still pass the puck to himself off the back of net and head the other way after the forechecked passed. 

PS almost erased the bitter taste of watching the Sioux lose on a fluky goal in 1979 at the Olympia.  One positive of that trip was seeing one of hockeys great old barns before it went down.

41 minutes ago, burd said:

I recall the writers at the SP Pioneer Press saying that they didn't think anybody would be able to beat the Sioux in the NCAAs that year.  

And Harkness' undefeated team was just as untouchable--and almost as good in the adjacent years.   Not sure we'll see that kind of dominance throughout the tournament again, though.     

Until the boys steamroll this year.   :)

The 2016 team was dominant in three of four games, the exception being the semifinal vs. Denver.

20 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Count me as another at The Joe for a rout.   Parity in 2024 is much tighter than 1987.  

although …. Hrkac may still pass the puck to himself off the back of net and head the other way after the forechecked passed. 

PS almost erased the bitter taste of watching the Sioux lose on a fluky goal in 1979 at the Olympia.  One positive of that trip was seeing one of hockeys great old barns before it went down.

The Circus had The Farce too, right, something we shouldn't forget.  

Just now, burd said:

The Circus had The Farce too, right, something we shouldn't forget.  

Speaking of The Farce, I am watching the 1980 NCAA title game on YouTube now, and they showed The Farce on television down by the glass and mentioned their presence at UND home games. Prairie Public Television was broadcasting this; they were raising money between periods to cover the costs. I turned 6 years old on May 13th that year!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

What I like most about this post is that you're not getting ahead of yourself.

Yes & Johny hockey who we met in the elevator.

3 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Yeah we crammed 5 ppl into a 4-person car to drive from grand forks through an overnight blizzard in nebraska to get to Denver for that one. The things poor college students do to watch a good ol’ fashioned stomping :(

1 hour ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Yeah we crammed 5 ppl into a 4-person car to drive from grand forks through an overnight blizzard in nebraska to get to Denver for that one. The things poor college students do to watch a good ol’ fashioned stomping :(

My wife and I drove from WI, thru that same blizzard, to get to Denver to watch that horrible game as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

My wife and I drove from WI, thru that same blizzard, to get to Denver to watch that horrible game as well.

Thankfully we had a booze stocked suite for that one.