SiouxSports.com Forum

WMU @ UND -- Penne Rosa time?

stoneySIOUX

5 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Thankfully we had a booze stocked suite for that one.

Damn that Nathan Gerbe.
I remember there being almost no reaction when Marto scored the lone Sioux goal near the end of the 3rd.  Everyone...both team and fans were both just so defeated.

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

Damn that Nathan Gerbe.
I remember there being almost no reaction when Marto scored the lone Sioux goal near the end of the 3rd.  Everyone...both team and fans were both just so defeated.

I was sitting across from the Pepsi center in the bar watching it on tv. We drove up to go to the game but couldn’t find a scalper with a ticket for under $200 or something. On principal I let them eat their tickets and it was a good decision.  To be fair it was a nice goal by marto, just didn’t matter one iota

• Like 1

I watched The Circus win in 1987 in the Squires main lounge. Some lovely ladies were watching it already on the best (rear projection) big screen in the Walsh Quad and they allowed me to join them. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Speaking of The Farce, I am watching the 1980 NCAA title game on YouTube now, and they showed The Farce on television down by the glass and mentioned their presence at UND home games. Prairie Public Television was broadcasting this; they were raising money between periods to cover the costs. I turned 6 years old on May 13th that year!

i remember games on prairie public...loved that...as a kid who didnt get to many games in person, that, and Pat Sweeney on WDAZ were my happy times

• Like 3

11 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

It started a run of about 6 or 7 FFs that I attended. I did not see a Sioux win in the FF until 2016. Some brutal losses in that stretch. But one glorious win.

Same here. Felt like I was jinxing the team by attending. That 2016 win was a huge relief. The post-party across the street was insane.

14 hours ago, burd said:

The Circus had The Farce too, right, something we shouldn't forget.  

I don't recall a Farce presence back in '87.  Wasn't that more of an early 80's phenomenon?

I do remember the Dark side visiting the arena, though...well, it was the Gophers.

Just now, Blackheart said:

I don't recall a Farce presence back in '87.  Wasn't that more of an early 80's phenomenon?

I do remember the Dark side visiting the arena, though...well, it was the Gophers.

You may very well be right, Blackheart.  I did not return to UND until 1989.  Poobah would certainly know.  

12 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

It started a run of about 6 or 7 FFs that I attended. I did not see a Sioux win in the FF until 2016. Some brutal losses in that stretch. But one glorious win.

Every FF starting in Albany in 2001. Figured I was the jinx. 

2016, FF in Tampa, I went to the west coast for a conference. We know what happened in Tampa. 

2024, FF in St Paul? Now taking donations to send me to McAllen/South Padre (other side of country). 

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

2016, FF in Tampa, I went to the west coast for a conference. We know what happened in Tampa. 

2024, FF in St Paul? Now taking donations to send me to McAllen/South Padre (other side of country). 

I hear you. I was at the 1987, 1997 and 2000 Frozen Fours that UND won. I was 3 for 3 and feeling like a good luck charm, so I kept going. I went in 2005-2012 every year, only to see UND lose or not make it. My kids implored me not to attend any more because I was seemingly bad luck, so I did not attend any more Frozen Fours, including 2016 when the Sioux won in Tampa. 

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

https://icehockey.fandom.com/wiki/The_Farce

"late 1970s and early 80s" according to this blurb.

Didn't UND/students get in a little copyright/trademark trouble with Jim Henson of the Muppet Show?  I remember getting a tshirt as a kid with Kermit the Frog on the front and it said "Kermit's the way to the NCAA's".

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

OK but I'm only good for $1,000.

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I am not sure we can allow you to go to anymore FF's. 

25 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Didn't UND/students get in a little copyright/trademark trouble with Jim Henson of the Muppet Show?  I remember getting a tshirt as a kid with Kermit the Frog on the front and it said "Kermit's the way to the NCAA's".

That I don't know.

36 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

"Kermit's luck guides our puck."

When the Muppet Show was popular, Kermit the Frog was well-known for singing "It's Not Easy Being Green". As one of the only schools with green as a color, UND students (and other fans) adopted Kermit as an un-official mascot.

Dave

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Dave Berger said:

"Kermit's luck guides our puck."

When the Muppet Show was popular, Kermit the Frog was well-known for singing "It's Not Easy Being Green". As one of the only schools with green as a color, UND students (and other fans) adopted Kermit as an un-official mascot.

Dave

Here's a little more...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/opinion/ryan-bakken-muppet-mascot-mix-up