SiouxSports.com Forum

NIL and the new NCAA

Siouxperfan7

NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-proposing-new-college-athletics-subdivision-rooted-in-direct-athlete-compensation-145051537.html

Entry into the subdivision requires a school to invest, at minimum, $30,000 per year per athlete into what is termed an “enhanced educational trust fund” for at least half of a school’s countable athletes. Schools would determine when athletes receive the amount, which, for four-year athletes, will total at least $120,000. Schools must continue to abide by the framework of Title IX, assuring that 50 percent of the investment be directed toward women athletes.”

• Upvote 1

I'm wondering when someone is going to really start digging into the financials of all college sports and realize its about as legitimate as FTX.  All this supposed revenue and yet still relying on student fees, institutional aid and massive outside donations.  All the regular student saps that are racking up loans might eventually wonder why they are carrying the mail for "student athletes".  Hopefully the tax man is making sure Uncle Sam gets his cut of the NIL money that is getting thrown around these days. Taxpayers shouldn't be footing the bill to run minor leagues for the NBA and NHL.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodakvindy said:

I'm wondering when someone is going to really start digging into the financials of all college sports and realize its about as legitimate as FTX.  All this supposed revenue and yet still relying on student fees, institutional aid and massive outside donations.  All the regular student saps that are racking up loans might eventually wonder why they are carrying the mail for "student athletes".  Hopefully the tax man is making sure Uncle Sam gets his cut of the NIL money that is getting thrown around these days. Taxpayers shouldn't be footing the bill to run minor leagues for the NBA and NHL.

I was a told once I shouldn’t get an opinion on keeping the Sioux logo because I wasn’t a student athlete and that it wouldn’t affect me. I reminded him that my students fees fund his non revenue sport…….honestly never been a fan of non revenue sports, want to play them do it on your own dime!