SiouxSports.com Forum

Game 0: We versus Us

The Sicatoka

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/10-things-to-know-about-unds-hockey-scrimmage

Hopefully neither Emerson or Kunz are out long term:

1. Michael Emerson out: Freshman forward Michael Emerson did not participate in the scrimmage because of an illness. The Carolina Hurricanes draft pick was not present in Ralph Engelstad Arena. He did not practice Monday, either.

2. Jackson Kunz hurt: The biggest concern coming out of the scrimmage was an injury to junior forward Jackson Kunz. The Grand Forks native blocked a shot during the five-on-five portion and did not return.

Line 1A looks to be starting with Perron/Berg/Gaber.  Schmaltz moved to wing on Line 1B for Schmaltz/OMac/Blake:

5. Riese Gaber, Jayden Perron connect: UND fans got their first look at freshman phenom Jayden Perron and he did not disappoint. He was named the No. 1 star of the night, setting up captain Riese Gaber for a pair of three-on-three goals and scoring in the shootout. It appears UND will start the season with Perron and Gaber on the same line. Cameron Berg centered that group Tuesday.

6. Jake Schmaltz to wing: It appears that UND may start the season with junior Jake Schmaltz at wing instead of center, where he spent the last two seasons. On Tuesday, the Fighting Hawks had Schmaltz on a line with center Owen McLaughlin and right wing Jackson Blake.

6 hours ago, tnt said:

Think we may see more of Hunter Johannes than I thought.  Saw time killing penalties, and on a power play with Jamernik, McLaughlin, Perron and Livanavage.  Think Pyke will be on first unit.  Nobody looked out of place, or timid.  Benoit and Komzak held their own too. Was scary when Jamernik went off the ice and down the tunnel limping, but thankfully he came back. Don’t envy the coaches having to tell guys they aren’t in the lineup.

Agreed, Johannes dangled Ness out of his jock strap at one point. Although he also got caught trying and turned the puck over a few times. Blake looked like he took a step, Perron didn’t look like a freshie. McLauglin, Pyke, Gaber, Pehrson, Berg, and Wiebe all stood out to me in a good way. I could be missing some but that’s off the top of my head.

• Upvote 3

We won which is good, but will the loss hurt Us in PWR?  ;) 

Moving Schmaltz to a wing is interesting. They must have faith O'Mac can play the middle this year. 

Pyke and Pehrson better look "right" out there given the experience they have. 

On 10/3/2023 at 5:55 PM, tnt said:

Think we may see more of Hunter Johannes than I thought.  Saw time killing penalties, and on a power play with Jamernik, McLaughlin, Perron and Livanavage.  Think Pyke will be on first unit.  Nobody looked out of place, or timid.  Benoit and Komzak held their own too. Was scary when Jamernik went off the ice and down the tunnel limping, but thankfully he came back. Don’t envy the coaches having to tell guys they aren’t in the lineup.

As an older player does Hunter Johannes have an impact on the freshmen players in how they approach the college game.

10 hours ago, Esoteric said:

As an older player does Hunter Johannes have an impact on the freshmen players in how they approach the college game

We have: 

- last year's UA(F) captain
- last year's Michigan alternate captain
- a former AHA second team all conf (2021-22)
- a former CCHA All-Rookie Teamer 
and that's just on defense.

We also have:
- Miami's top goalie since 2020-21
- one of Omaha's top two centers last year
- then Johannes

I'd say those seven, plus the twelve returnees, yeah, the freshmen have folks to learn from. They just need to find the guy they can work with to be the mentor. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

So Dylan James wasn’t in the top 6 or on PP unit #2? 

They gotta give this kid more skilled linemates this year. 

His best attribute is his speed, so maybe that isn't best utilized on the power play once you have it in the zone.  I think they want some net presence.  I believe he will be a key cog in the penalty kill, where his speed will be invaluable.  It is also something that can give him a chance at finding a nice role at the next level.  That said, I wouldn't doubt he gets a chance on the second PP unit, especially if there is inconsistency.  Sounds like Johannes was possibly just filling in for Kunz on that second power play unit after Kunz got hurt in the scrimmage. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

So Dylan James wasn’t in the top 6 or on PP unit #2? 

Hang with me while I flesh out this notion ...

The top two lines (and probably PP units) are like the "diamond" (1-2-3-4) in a Blue Angels or USAF Thunderbirds show. Everyone comes to see the speed, skill, and precision of the "diamond". But what about 5 and 6, the solos?

The solos are guys who can make their own noise, show their skills independently ... or while you're so worried about the diamond leaving the main show surface they sneak up behind you and boom they blow the toupee off @Oxbow6 head.  ;) 

Dylan James is Angel/T-bird 5 or 6. He can fly in a group but as he showed late last season don't lose sight of him or ... he sneaks up behind you and boom.

You need a seventh forward like James (can fly solo and still wow you) in a "top two lines" world. (Wes Dorey was that guy in 2000.) 

However, I want us in a 9-3 (top three lines) style, so yeah, get the pieces together for 9-3. 

• Like 2