SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

46 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I just don't think a 4-3 would solve the issue of having 240 lb DEs and smaller inside guys.   We to be need bigger and faster regardless.  

They would recruit completely different body types in a 4-3.  At least I think they would :blink:

Need better players, but they also need to be better coached and prepared. It all falls on the coaches as their job is literally to recruit, scheme, install, and prepare/motivate - all of it!

Changing the scheme would lead to a different body type to be recruited, yes, particularly body type of defensive linemen, but you still ultimately need to out-recruit NDSU and SDSU and out-develop them, and then ultimately out-prepare them so you actually show up on game day when it matters. 

AND, even if UND were to switch to a base 4-3 alignment, no one on the current staff knows how to run that in terms of past experience. The defense may actually look worse. All that Bubba and Schwenzfeier know is the Lennon 3-4… so need new coaches if going to change to Tampa 2 or other 4-3 base front.

Right now, it seems, the entire football program and athletic department is placing all the weight of their decisions on the new facilities. If the new facilities don’t lead to substantial differences in the type of recruit UND football attracts, and develops, then we will be right back to where we are now - GET DIFFERENT COACHES/LEADERS.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Need better players, but they also need to be better coached and prepared. It all falls on the coaches as their job is literally to recruit, scheme, install, and prepare/motivate - all of it!

Changing the scheme would lead to a different body type to be recruited, yes, particularly body type of defensive linemen, but you still ultimately need to out-recruit NDSU and SDSU and out-develop them, and then ultimately out-prepare them so you actually show up on game day when it matters. 

AND, even if UND were to switch to a base 4-3 alignment, no one on the current staff knows how to run that in terms of past experience. The defense may actually look worse. All that Bubba and Schwenzfeier know is the Lennon 3-4… so need new coaches if going to change to Tampa 2 or other 4-3 base front.

Right now, it seems, the entire football program and athletic department is placing all the weight of their decisions on the new facilities. If the new facilities don’t lead to substantial differences in the type of recruit UND football attracts, and develops, then we will be right back to where we are now - GET DIFFERENT COACHES/LEADERS.

Agree on everything. Strange part is the athletes are on the team but who they play and how doesn’t seem to make sense from the stands sometimes. I would turn our big nose guards and D tackles loose on every play but they spend half the time on the sideline. 3-4 works when they bring up the linebackers to the line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You don't think a change in S&C coach is a significant change in trying to find ways for improvement and something specifically that isn't "placing all the weight of their decisions on the new facilities"?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I don't think the 3-4 is the issue.   A lot of big college and nfl teams run it.  It's a matter of personnel.

My point - we run a 3-4 without the personnel to do it.  And Bubba won't change.  Our 3 linemen usually aren't big enough to occupy the O line.  Bubba will run this regardless of personnel and will not adjust.  Just look at our defensive record. 

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You don't think a change in S&C coach is a significant change in trying to find ways for improvement and something specifically that isn't "placing all the weight of their decisions on the new facilities"?

The new facilities are a HUGE deal. No question about it.

The change in Strength and Conditioning is a HUGE deal. No question about that either.

But if these improvements (which Bubba has not had access to for most of his tenure) still result in 6-5 and 7-4 seasons, then the coaches will have run out of excuses.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I think the change in S&C coach is a remarkable change, and don’t get me wrong, the new facilities are spectacular, but the most important determinant in outcomes is coaching.  The S&C coach does not recruit, install scheme, develop a game plan, motivate the team on game day, or call plays. 

This all has been a trial of incredible patience (or as some might say insanity), as Bubba and his staff have had over a decade and have bought themselves even more time with the new facilities just coming online. What’s the next excuse they will have for Chaves and anyone else gullible enough to listen? 

Don’t get me wrong, I hope the new facilities are the difference maker, but I don’t see it. A new coach in that fancy new head coaches office however … 

Remember, you are what your record says you are. Bubba is 65–52 at UND. For some, that’s good enough, he’s winning. For others, that’s frustratingly just above average and not championship caliber. Polarizing figure to say the least …

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don't think it would be any worse. Think we have a big enough sample size that it's not working.  Maybe it would turn out like the offense after Rudy got let go?!?

1 hour ago, shep said:

So all of you who responded feel the coach should be canned whenever the team is behind????

So if the topic is “what coach in ND has managed to do less with an embarrassment of funding/support” I’ll take berry. UND should be able to expect regular frozen four appearances at the minimum.  Comparing program funding levels.. bubba has been better than berry.. neither of which should be ok. Also .. advocating firing the coach in the middle of the season is always dumb. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wheelsup said:

So if the topic is “what coach in ND has managed to do less with an embarrassment of funding/support” I’ll take berry. UND should be able to expect regular frozen four appearances at the minimum.  Comparing program funding levels.. bubba has been better than berry.. neither of which should be ok. Also .. advocating firing the coach in the middle of the season is always dumb. 

Fire wheels up!!

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, shep said:

As crazy/angry it sometimes gets here on the FB side it’s nothing compared to hockey where a 2 goal deficit in a game brings calls for the coach’s head.

Auggie game I get it. Mankato on the road I don’t think we need to call for heads. Not making the playoffs and early round exits are the time to call for heads

8 hours ago, wheelsup said:

UND Hockey isn’t a top 5 program anymore , funding maybe but not performance on the ice……

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

One other positive that isn’t being mentioned enough. 45 yarder (I believe) and 47 yarder in back to back weeks! This had been a problem for way too long and finally nice to potentially have someone good there again.

@geaux_sioux are we ready to declare that #53 is a good kicker? Or not yet?