SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

9 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

With Romfo at QB, it has to be a RPO right? I agree that it usually doesn’t look like it is.

I’ve been trying to take the optimistic look at the appearance of the offense early in the year but at this point it’s looking like it’s not an actual rpo or Simon just can’t read it at all. Idk. There have been a bunch of times where he could have scooted outside for big yards. There’s no reason for the defense to respect his legs on those plays currently.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I’ve been trying to take the optimistic look at the appearance of the offense early in the year but at this point it’s looking like it’s not an actual rpo or Simon just can’t read it at all. Idk. There have been a bunch of times where he could have scooted outside for big yards. There’s no reason for the defense to respect his legs on those plays currently.

We saw the wheels Jerry has, can you imagine  him around the edge on a good read. Smith type of speed around the edge.  

15 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

We saw the wheels Jerry has, can you imagine  him around the edge on a good read. Smith type of speed around the edge.  

I was going to say, I think Jerry has to be able to run the ball comparable to Simon. Guy was flying chasing down Smith (I think) on that long play a couple weeks ago. Think Jerry’s issue in fall camp was he was having struggles processing things and completing balls at like a 40% clip. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Also, at a glance today it appears we have one of the worst defenses in the conference. 

Just win baby. Looking at all the scores the table is set if they take care of business. Still behind the top two but there is no one else in the conference with any flex. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

I was going to say, I think Jerry has to be able to run the ball comparable to Simon. Guy was flying chasing down Smith (I think) on that long play a couple weeks ago. Think Jerry’s issue in fall camp was he was having struggles processing things and completing balls at like a 40% clip. 

Well if the 40% is true, that is not good. Let's remember Tommy started as a redshirt freshman and had decent completion percentage and led us into the playoffs on a shortened season. I believe Klancher started for us as a redshirt freshman. Manziel and Winston won the Heisman as redshirt freshman. Didn't Cam Miller lead the Bison deep into playoffs as redshirt freshman. Granowski led SDSU to what would have been a Championship his redshirt freshman year (they definitely would have beat Sam Houston if he didn't get hurt early in that game). So if he is struggling that much that seems concerning, but maybe once he gets it....he will be fine. 

Also, if he is only completing 40 percent of his passes, he also probably wouldn't want to transfer out because would be obvious he shouldn't be the starter and he hasn't earned it yet.

12 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Well if the 40% is true, that is not good. Let's remember Tommy started as a redshirt freshman and had decent completion percentage and led us into the playoffs on a shortened season. I believe Klancher started for us as a redshirt freshman. Manziel and Winston won the Heisman as redshirt freshman. Didn't Cam Miller lead the Bison deep into playoffs as redshirt freshman. Granowski led SDSU to what would have been a Championship his redshirt freshman year (they definitely would have beat Sam Houston if he didn't get hurt early in that game). So if he is struggling that much that seems concerning, but maybe once he gets it....he will be fine. 

Also, if he is only completing 40 percent of his passes, he also probably wouldn't want to transfer out because would be obvious he shouldn't be the starter and he hasn't earned it yet.

If he’s truly only completing 40% of his passes against our defense he might want to look at transferring down a level or 2. 

I know some have called for backup QBs to be given some reps.  Here are the stats going back to 2017.  It appears to me that unless the #1 gets hurt the backups are pretty much on the bench.  Does anyone remember if the #1 was hurt in 2017 or 2019?  they are the only years backups got substantial reps.  Is this average for a football program?  

2023:
Schuster       208/294
Feeney         15/20
Romfo          2/2

2022:
Schuster       251/365
Romfo          1/1
Vaughn         0/3

2021:
Schuster       237/362
Vaughn         9/17
Boltmann       2/3
Feeney         1/3

2020:
Schuster       129/197
Vaughn         1/3

2019:
Ketteringham   245/382
Zimmerman      25/43
Schuster       18/34
Boltmann       6/6

2018:
Ketteringham      141/266
Zimmerman         1/2

2017:
Studsrud          153/257
Zimmerman         21/41
Heidlebaugh       8/27

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, LDL said:

I know some have called for backup QBs to be given some reps.  Here are the stats going back to 2017.  It appears to me that unless the #1 gets hurt the backups are pretty much on the bench.  Does anyone remember if the #1 was hurt in 2017 or 2019?  they are the only years backups got substantial reps.  Is this average for a football program?  

2023:
Schuster       208/294
Feeney         15/20
Romfo          2/2

2022:
Schuster       251/365
Romfo          1/1
Vaughn         0/3

2021:
Schuster       237/362
Vaughn         9/17
Boltmann       2/3
Feeney         1/3

2020:
Schuster       129/197
Vaughn         1/3

2019:
Ketteringham   245/382
Zimmerman      25/43
Schuster       18/34
Boltmann       6/6

2018:
Ketteringham      141/266
Zimmerman         1/2

2017:
Studsrud          153/257
Zimmerman         21/41
Heidlebaugh       8/27

This certainly represents how it’s felt over the years.. we pick 1 qb and stick with them no matter what.

It seems to me that other programs are much more willing to give multiple QBs significant reps… I bet in the 6 teams we have played this year…. All of them have played their 2nd string qb more than us. We seem to do a crap job getting the backup reps. 

9 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

This certainly represents how it’s felt over the years.. we pick 1 qb and stick with them no matter what.

It seems to me that other programs are much more willing to give multiple QBs significant reps… I bet in the 6 teams we have played this year…. All of them have played their 2nd string qb more than us. We seem to do a crap job getting the backup reps. 

NDSU didn't pull their injured starting QB up multiple scores in Carbondale this weekend against a team that didn't threaten to score much (3 points and less than 200 yards of offense) until there was 3:36 left in the game.

59 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

NDSU didn't pull their injured starting QB up multiple scores in Carbondale this weekend against a team that didn't threaten to score much (3 points and less than 200 yards of offense) until there was 3:36 left in the game.

What is your point? One game doesn’t make a trend. 

NDSU has 3 QBs in the NFL today.. Cole has played a ton this year and last 2 also.. they pulled QBs (Quincy and Zeb).. when they were doing just fine in comparison to our guys.. we seem to stick with mediocre at best QBs and leave the backups to die on the bench.

I personally have no idea if our backup is better than our current guy.. I’m just a guy on the internet not a football coach. I would just like to see the backup every so often particularly when the starter is struggling and the game is in hand or over. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

ndsu once benched a QB that was 7-0 as a starter….

• Upvote 1