SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

20 minutes ago, Dustin said:

I think if we knew that neither Trey nor Jerry would be the starter, we would have been wanting Tommy to stay for his last year. I don’t see a future where Romfo’s passing game reaches Tommy’s.  and while Romfo would be considered better at running, Tommy was getting a better feel for that part of the game too. 

Long time listener, first time caller.  How many times did Tommy lead us back from a crushing defeat to an upset win?  I hang up and listen.

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Long time listener, first time caller.  How many times did Tommy lead us back from a crushing defeat to an upset win?  I hang up and listen.

Are you under the premise that the comeback yesterday was due to the QB play in the 2nd half?

25 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Simon sure had some big plays to keep the drives alive.  

He certainly did, which makes you wonder why the one thing that everybody agrees he does best was conspicuously absent in the first half.  To me, they can’t try to protect him from getting hurt by limiting his runs, when that is a big part of the reason he is the starter. 

22 minutes ago, tnt said:

He certainly did, which makes you wonder why the one thing that everybody agrees he does best was conspicuously absent in the first half.  To me, they can’t try to protect him from getting hurt by limiting his runs, when that is a big part of the reason he is the starter. 

I do think your last sentence is exactly why though. They were thinking he could maybe still keep the defense honest with his arm, but he couldn’t. They said screw it, Simon do what you do best and that’s move your feet. Maybe the throwing will come but right now he’s most valuable as a runner. If Feeney is still on the team, I assume this is their plan from the beginning. 

10 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I do think your last sentence is exactly why though. They were thinking he could maybe still keep the defense honest with his arm, but he couldn’t. They said screw it, Simon do what you do best and that’s move your feet. Maybe the throwing will come but right now he’s most valuable as a runner. If Feeney is still on the team, I assume this is their plan from the beginning. 

Feeney is not on the team.  Simon needs to use his leg when needs.  His passing will develop as the season moves along.

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Well against SDSU in spring 2021 against the eventual national champions, Tommy lead us to an upset win. Did he have to come back and pull out the win, no....because he had more than 50 yards passing the in the first half so we had the lead and didn't need to come back. It was a great 2nd half for Romfo and will give him props on that. But if Tommy was able to hand off the ball and we were able to run it like that, he would be able to sprinkle in some nice complimentary passes. Tommy had a crap defense last year too. We had 6 sacks yesterday. 

I'll be rooting for Romfo to expand his passing game a bit more, he did have a couple of nice throws yesterday.  One dimensional just usually gets exposed at some point, but we will see how the year plays out. Go Hawks!

I watched a playoff game last year where all he had to do was hand it off and his stats weren’t much better than yesterday’s QB and we lost. 

Biggest difference so far this year is willingness of the offensive coordinator to commit to the run.. if Tommy had turned around and handed off the ball we would have won more games last year.

at some point our lack of passing competency will catch up with us this year.  But we would have been a better team last year with more commitment to the run

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

Biggest difference so far this year is willingness of the offensive coordinator to commit to the run.. if Tommy had turned around and handed off the ball we would have won more games last year.

at some point our lack of passing competency will catch up with us this year.  But we would have been a better team last year with more commitment to the run

USD and Sack would have been wins imo.  Boise would have been way closer as well.

36 minutes ago, homer said:

I watched a playoff game last year where all he had to do was hand it off and his stats weren’t much better than yesterday’s QB and we lost. 

Ummm....yeah and our defense gave up 42 points in that game.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, homer said:

And we still win if we commit to the run like Saturday.  QB threw for a similar stat line. 

Commit to the run is made a lot easier when your QB is your second leading rusher on the team.

19 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Lots of eyes on UND football this coming week.  A good team will follow a 2nd half like that and Win this one by 3 scores.  A pretty good performance should Win by 2 scores.  A let down and Win by 1 score.  A Loss is a total meltdown.  We don't know too much about Idaho St. other than 3-8 a year ago.  38-15 Loss vrs Oregon St and 50-10 Win vrs Oregon Western.  The numbers I like are these......vrs Oregon St the Bengals D gave up 362 yards on the ground on 58 carries for an average of 6.2/per.  Our O-line run blocking has been good, RBs good, Romfo running good, Fruechte good (run game).  At some point, like this week, there is plenty of run film on us and teams will adjust and we'll see how we counter.  Good Job UND Football, including the Big Old Dog himself, Bubba.

Bengals can through the ball.  We can run.  Long drive eat the clock and win by 3 scores.  That will set the tone for this season.  Tough no let up.

Millers article this morning had a great comment from Hauck..

""We didn't have the ball. We had one first down in the second half, and it was on the last drive. We failed in every aspect in the second half, and they did a good job making second-and-long (into) third-and-short. Gave them the ability to run it. I don't know if they can throw it. We didn't make them."

Im guessing the upcoming teams will start making us throw it.  Maybe our O-line, RB's and QB can be dominant enough that it wont matter.

2 hours ago, wheelsup said:

Last couple years we were all complaining about Tommy’s unwillingness to take easy yards on the ground.. this year seems like the theme will be Romfos struggles with the pass.. let’s see how it plays out. 

i'll take a qb that CAN throw but doen't want to run but when he does he gets it done versus a qb that can run but literally can't throw past 15 yds..

elephant in the room about simon......yeah he won his first fcs/fcs start against the #4 team (but early on do any rankings matter?) but his throwing skills don't even compute to d2.......that was the worst throwing performance i've ever seen at und. unless we have an absolute lockdown defense (who knows at this point) the total lack of a vertical passing game in recipe for a 51% winning percentage...or less.

the int at ia state looked pretty much like the one on saturday regardless of him getting hit at the release in ames........locks on to wr and it's going up no matter what.....

Not sure who the DC for the griz is ....but how are you not sending 8 guys at simon in the second half....

craziest game i've seen since maybe deion's pix six against nau iirc????

alerus did a great job....BUT free the catwalk....stop trying to force it...it aint working.

not that it matters at this point bc they just run around downfield for no reason........but need to sprinkle in some the younger wr's that can maybe get some seperation ...i think i saw kai in the field for a few plays....

anyone know why the guy that looked like cold stone steven austin (griz fan) had a beef with a blond und fan near the 217 inner concourse in the 4th quarter.....he was fired up and a bunch of security had to break up something.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i'll take a qb that CAN throw but doen't want to run but when he does he gets it done versus a qb that can run but literally can't throw past 15 yds..

elephant in the room about simon......yeah he won his first fcs/fcs start against the #4 team (but early on do any rankings matter?) but his throwing skills don't even compute to d2.......that was the worst throwing performance i've ever seen at und. unless we have an absolute lockdown defense (who knows at this point) the total lack of a vertical passing game in recipe for a 51% winning percentage...or less.

the int at ia state looked pretty much like the one on saturday regardless of him getting hit at the release in ames........locks on to wr and it's going up no matter what.....

As I recall.. last year you were calling Tommy Noodle arm and advocating for Jerry and Feeney.  Somehow this kid with no throwing ability (according to you) beat out both of those guys in an open competition.  Danny could have picked either one of those guys.. Fruechte also could have picked either of those guys and yet they both picked somebody else.  Lets give Romfo a chance here.

Whens the last time we beat the #4 team in the country..  Last year I think NDSU was #6 or #7 but I cant remember and the running game was the star of that show as well.  The impact of a great running game on our defensive performance cant be emphasized enough.

Agree with you on the interceptions.. they were basically the same play two different games.. I think he got hit on both throws..

• Upvote 1