SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

2 hours ago, USTBench said:

I don't see the gulf between SDSU and UND being as wide as it is between Minnesota and Ohio State/Michigan. UND seems to be stifled by the antiquated thinking of the old guard and a reluctance to court the Gen Xers/Millennials as alums/potential donors/coaches/fans, etc. I believe I even read a few pages back someone intimate UND should have never left DII. WHAT??? 

UND has the facilities, the donors, and as I drive down Columbia, I can't think of too many mid-majors that have anything broaching what UND will have for football. There's a little brother/loser mentality here that Grand Forks and UND needs to shake, but believe me, you've got a sleeping giant at the FCS level. One guy in the big chair can make that happen inside of 2 years. 

If by big chair you mean head coach, Glenn Caruso could be a guy like that.  But I've heard he's quite content where he's at.   

4 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

I’m going to predict that we see co-OC’s here. King being the passing game coordinator and Pawlak the run game coordinator. King would be considered the play caller, imo. 

so they are the ones blowing up bubbas phone?

9 minutes ago, DL Sioux said:

Todd Hoffner would be an interesting choice but I’m guessing he makes more at Mankato as Head Coach. 

OC for a year then HC. I'm in.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I don't have any disdain for hockey or the REA, and I mostly agree with you.  And Bubba never should have be extended when he was (I think his initial hire was fine but Danny should have been promoted when Bubbas last contract expired). However, it's concerning that Kennedy wasn't able to get her to budge at all when it came to the split in ticket revenue.  The REA has something like 15 million in cash (I get that they need a few million for general operations, etc), and there isn't any transparency in what they plan to do with it.  In addition to that, the usage agreement changed from it spelling out exactly how net income would be distributed, to saying that a portion of net income will be distributed to UND as determined by the UAS board of directors, and it doesn't say how that determination will be made.  So if they are keeping millions in cash on hand, I think it would be reasonable to expect them to be more transparent as to their reasoning and plans.  UND has had an addition to the Betty on it's master plan for years - is the REA on board with that?  Who the hell knows!  Going to the press with the goal of ousting the president has caused me to question a certain person's motives, and THAT isn't UND's fault.

As far as, Kris and Kennedy.  Things can get personal in negotiations.  In the end many times both parties regret their actions.  I can see your point about public airing of differences.  It was in bad form.  But I certainly don't think anyone has the full story that led to that action.  Dealing with political creatures can be exhausting.   

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

Maybe we could get saban 

lot less pressure up here 

he’s retiring

On the day of his retirement announcement, I read this quote of his. 

"Mediocre people don’t like high achievers, and high achievers don’t like mediocre people. So if everybody doesn’t buy-in to the same principles and values of the organization at the same high standard, you’re never going to be successful."

- Nick Saban

This especially resonates with me because it actually highlights UND football’s issues right now.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Why are we comparing an AD to a President?
I know its an unpopular opinion, but UND's AD is one of the more highly respected one's at UND's level and in peer groups. There's a reason he's on multiple committees for different sports.  However, there is no argument that the W&L's need to get back to following the rest of the positive things going on though. A lot of sports were left in some pretty bad spots and turning things around isn't always as simple as we all wish it was.

Just out of curiosity, when's the last time UND has an AD that everyone universally loved? I can think of a issues going back quite a few decades.
Faison?
Buning?
RT?
Wanless?
Gino?

He might not have been loved, but virtually every program was a big winner during Wanless' tenure.  Sports Info department was also well run, and marketing was light years better.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nodakvindy said:

He might not have been loved, but virtually every program was a big winner during Wanless' tenure.  Sports Info department was also well run, and marketing was light years better.

What ever happend to the sports info department?

we used to have guys who thought they are on the team

nkw what do we have?

4 hours ago, USTBench said:

I don't see the gulf between SDSU and UND being as wide as it is between Minnesota and Ohio State/Michigan. UND seems to be stifled by the antiquated thinking of the old guard and a reluctance to court the Gen Xers/Millennials as alums/potential donors/coaches/fans, etc. I believe I even read a few pages back someone intimate UND should have never left DII. WHAT??? 

UND has the facilities, the donors, and as I drive down Columbia, I can't think of too many mid-majors that have anything broaching what UND will have for football. There's a little brother/loser mentality here that Grand Forks and UND needs to shake, but believe me, you've got a sleeping giant at the FCS level. One guy in the big chair can make that happen inside of 2 years. 

Great post.  We are very close and for that the credit goes to Bubba.  The problem is the culture and for that the credit also goes to Bubba, one guy in the big chair could make it happen fast. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Let's hear yours, realistic options. 

Do you wanna help bolster the salary pool? I’d be happy to help with it if Bubba wasn’t the head coach. Bottom line, I don’t expect the list to be very exquisite, and that’s disappointing but it’s the current state of UND Football. Who would want to hitch their coaching career to Bubba at this stage?

27 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Great post.  We are very close and for that the credit goes to Bubba.  The problem is the culture and for that the credit also goes to Bubba, one guy in the big chair could make it happen fast. 

That big guy in the chair ain’t gonna be Bubba. Bubba has done some good things, yes, but he should’ve stepped down or been terminated a few years ago.

• Upvote 1