SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

24 minutes ago, brianvf said:

They were probably going off the USA Hockey/Rink Live poll, which had UND and BC in a tie for #1.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-division-1/poll

Or maybe PWR, where BC is #1 currently too.

Fair enough. Harvard's broadcast showed them as #2.

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Who cares what ESPN thinks? All that matters is the PWR.

Prior to half of college hockey being shown on their app, it was frustrating that they had the rights to tournament. Now, however, they are the stewards of hockey.

16 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Prior to half of college hockey being shown on their app, it was frustrating that they had the rights to tournament. Now, however, they are the stewards of hockey.

And the NCHC, once a leader in college hockey streaming, is now way behind on availability and exposure.

18 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Not to mention the app is garbage. ESPN would be preferable. 

What’s a joke is that the NCHC discussed switching to ESPN a couple years ago and decided to stick with their own streaming service. I get that it makes them more money but from an exposure standpoint, it’s not going to do it. CBS Sports has also seemingly decreased the amount of televised games on that network every year, so they really should consider reevaluating that contract. 

13 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

What’s a joke is that the NCHC discussed switching to ESPN a couple years ago and decided to stick with their own streaming service. I get that it makes them more money but from an exposure standpoint, it’s not going to do it. CBS Sports has also seemingly decreased the amount of televised games on that network every year, so they really should consider reevaluating that contract. 

Hopefully ESPN still wants them when CBS lowballs the conference during the next renewal negotiations.

I don't care who streams it as long as production stays with Midco.  Second-to-none as far as production value goes.  

Although I will say, in past years I've had an occasional issue with the NCHC app streaming the game, but only a couple times a year.  So far this year I haven't had a single issue.  Everything's been rock solid.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

NCHC.tv to ESPN+?

Be careful what you wish for.

I will continue to wish for it.  I already have ESPN+. Paying a separate overpriced subscription fee just for UND games is annoying. Plus all that would change with video and production is the app the games will be on. Home team still in charge of the stream.

At least you get more to watch on ESPN besides UND games. More bang for your buck. 

Lots of hockey viewing for $110/year on NCHC. Only an occasional issue & gets us through long winters. Just cxld our ESPN+ monthly which was an awesome value with a quality picture to watch the football games in addition to more college hockey. Hubby & me taking turns signing up as needed according to viewing schedules.

33 minutes ago, thUNDer said:

Should add though, that we shared our NCHCtv creds with 2 other households in other communities a few years back & all 3 of households are grateful not having to huddle around our Dell desktop like the olden days;)

I still remember paying like $9.95 to order the UND/Wisconsin championship game at the Badger Hockey showdown circa 1999 or 2000 and how long it took my America Online dial up to get the audio streaming, lol. But I’m pretty certain it was worth it because I think we beat the Badgers in overtime if I’m not mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I still remember paying like $9.95 to order the UND/Wisconsin championship game at the Badger Hockey showdown circa 1999 or 2000 and how long it took my America Online dial up to get the audio streaming, lol. But I’m pretty certain it was worth it because I think we beat the Badgers in overtime if I’m not mistaken.

Were you wearing an onion on your belt? 

• Upvote 1

Shocking to me that people would prefer espn+. It’s always been a disaster for me and is one of the worst apps I’ve ever used. So happy to not have to use it or pay for it once football starts. And espn+ doesn’t give any better exposure. No one just clicks through that terrible service looking for something to watch.  

• Upvote 1

If midco improves their app it would be nice to see them add the NCHC and CCHA.  The money UND gets from NCHC.TV is nice though.  It will be interesting to see how many subscribers ASU brings as well.  Does anyone know when the current CBSSN deal ends?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

Early look at possible WJC USA team.  Livanavage is the only UND mention:

https://www.flohockey.tv/articles/11538803-2024-world-juniors-team-usa-roster-updates-bubble-watch

Hopefully BC doesn't have any games during WJC time, otherwise they might have to pull a Michigan and cancel the games due to lack of available players.  :D 

They don't have a game between December 9 and January 12.  They may have seen this coming.

Now that we're past Thanksgiving, about 80% of all non-conference games have been played. Here's the inter-conference standings by winning percentage:

1. B1G, .704
  2. NCHC, .685
  3. Hockey East, .667 <gaping hole alert>
  4. Atlantic Hockey, .366
  5. ECAC, .364
  6. CCHA, .351

There's a gaping hole between the top three and bottom three conferences--three hundred points. Quinnipiac (PWR 2) and AIC (PWR 15) are the only teams from the bottom three conferences in the top 20 of the Pairwise.

And notice which conferences are first and last. It's likely not just Mike Hastings leaving Mankato for Wisco, but my goodness has that changed things for the CCHA.

11 hours ago, Sodacker said:

Shocking to me that people would prefer espn+. It’s always been a disaster for me and is one of the worst apps I’ve ever used. So happy to not have to use it or pay for it once football starts. And espn+ doesn’t give any better exposure. No one just clicks through that terrible service looking for something to watch.  

What issues do you have? Only time I have problems are when I forget to close the app before turning my VPN on.

A few people I play beer league with said they've watched some college games for the first time due to their availability on the app. Not exactly moving the needle but ease of access is key.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, nodak651 said:

If midco improves their app it would be nice to see them add the NCHC and CCHA.  The money UND gets from NCHC.TV is nice though.  It will be interesting to see how many subscribers ASU brings as well.  Does anyone know when the current CBSSN deal ends?

I expect this will happen soon as part of the Summit/NCHC synergies. I've had no problems with midco sports plus and production far surpasses anything I've seen on ESPN plus.