SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2023-24

cberkas

2 hours ago, I Ranger said:

Makar played two years of college but it does seem like all these high end first round kids are staying more than one year now though. 

It will be interesting to see how it goes with the really high end guys going forward, and I'm talking top 5 or 10.   I would be surprised if Fantilli stays another year, and some of the guys that stayed two were a result of Covid.  Guessing Cooley might be a result of Arizona's issues.  Regardless of those circumstances, I think that Makar has kind of opened people's eyes as to what another year of development can do to make you ready to not only enter the NHL but make an immediate impact.  Will be interesting to see how many follow that same path going forward.  

2 minutes ago, tnt said:

It will be interesting to see how it goes with the really high end guys going forward, and I'm talking top 5 or 10.   I would be surprised if Fantilli stays another year, and some of the guys that stayed two were a result of Covid.  Guessing Cooley might be a result of Arizona's issues.  Regardless of those circumstances, I think that Makar has kind of opened people's eyes as to what another year of development can do to make you ready to not only enter the NHL but make an immediate impact.  Will be interesting to see how many follow that same path going forward.  

Also I’d consider what has happened to some of the guys who did leave after one year, when quite a few of them clearly should have stayed for two. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

Also I’d consider what has happened to some of the guys who did leave after one year, when quite a few of them clearly should have stayed for two. 

Why'd I just think of "Tyson Jost". 

• Like 1

Jost has played over 400 games in the NHL in the past 7 years since he left und. He’s made about $7.5 million dollars. I understand why Sioux fans think he should’ve stayed another year Perhaps he would’ve developed into a top 6 instead of a bottom 6. But I can tell you every member of his und team thought he was ready for the show and clearly he was. It’s worked out for him. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

Jost has played over 400 games in the NHL in the past 7 years since he left und. He’s made about $7.5 million dollars. I understand why Sioux fans think he should’ve stayed another year Perhaps he would’ve developed into a top 6 instead of a bottom 6. But I can tell you every member of his und team thought he was ready for the show and clearly he was. It’s worked out for him. 

Jost was ready for NCAA before his draft year. That said, he has less than 1/3 PPG in the N, and signed a very meager contract after his entry level deal expired. Hindsight is 20/20, but he and Casey Pull Up are both cited by coaches trying to talk their blue chips into returning.

• Like 3

wonder who thought it would be a good idea to have 2 D! hockey programs that far away?

kinda like wyoming and wisco don't have "state" schools....even if Alaska needed a UAA branch why try to do D! athletics even if it is only one sport (men's hockey).....

https://www.gophnx.com/2023/07/05/logan-cooley-sets-record-straight-on-his-immediate-long-term-future-with-coyotes/

Doesn't seem entirely 100% on Cooley's decision yet from his quote while at the Coyotes development camp this week:

“If I do end up going back to school at the beginning of next season, when World Junior time comes around, I’m most likely going to play in the World Juniors; I’m just not going to camp this summer,” Cooley said. “Winning a gold medal is one of the reasons I’d want to go back. We came close last year, but taking bronze is not exactly what I wanted. I’d want to win a gold medal for my country.”

The start of that quote — If I do end up going back to school — also warranted elaboration.

“For right now, I’m on track for going back and helping Minnesota win a national championship and continuing to grow my game,” he said. “But I’m still gonna evaluate some things. I don’t want the media to go crazy thinking that I’m not going back to school, but there’s a little bit of thought to put into it.”

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Unrelated, but both Ethan Bowen and Ryder Donovan were slated to skate there last year and neither did. Donovan is playing for UST this year, seems like Bowen retired.

Bowen is such a weird situation. He was so highly touted when he committed. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Vermont’s roster page accidentally goes live. Schlossman sees a name missing and tweets about it. In minutes Vermont has a tweet out explaining the error.

You do not know the power of the Schloss side. 

All the comments getting at Brad. With what just happened and knowing Brad most likely reached out after the coach was fired.