SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Tigers preview

01grad

Hopefully our players were able to watch the game Sunday night in preparation for next weekend. I would think this would help us learn many things about their game which may have changed from the last time we played them ( L 2-3/W 2-1).

Do they usually watch film of the their next opponents previous weekend?

The Tigers are really flying these days and we will definately need to bring our best game to the Springs. Both of their goalies have been solid, their offense scores in bunches and their defense does a great job of keeping wings out of the goal area, as well as clear the puck. The only area that we may not match up is the high scoring offense, but if Phil plays solid and we can squeeze out 3 goals in a game, we should be able to squeak out at least a win or a tie. Hey anything can happen, just look at what happend to the defending NCAA champs this past weekend. I think though that we will play them tough and take our game to the next level.

I predict a split next weekend.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defense needs to shut down Sterling and Sertich, which is over half of their offense. We'll need to stay out of the box so they won't be able to pair these guys up on the power play against us. Also, they look much faster than the Sioux this year so we better be conditioned and ready to fly.

We'll still get a split though.

It depends if the tiger will come off a high of sweeping the Gophers however it will take a small mircle to win one. The past couple of years the Sioux have not had good games in CC just like in Wisconson. This team is good to win or sweep but it depends how bad they want it. I think that this is a key weekend in the fact if CC sweepes the Sioux it will be diffucult to get in the top three. If the Sioux sweep it would be a new beginning to build off of for the rest of the season. A split would be nice but a sweep would be nicer.

Just watched the 3rd period of the UM vs CC game, and boy was it fun to see some quality play. And even better to see the gophers lose, since the rest of their season is a cake walk. The big sheet of olympic ice really opens up the game for some exciting passing and plays. I think CC also has a big rink, so maybe we can finally see the Sioux do some fast skating this season.

I am as frustrated as the rest of you Sioux fans with this years season, and we are going to get killed next weekend if we dont finally find our speed, teamwork, and goal scoring.

CC really dominated last night's game against the Gofers....the Sioux better be ready to skate because this Tiger team goes for every loose puck and will cycle , cycle, cycle, until you fall asleep....It was nice not to have to listen to the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A alphabet all weekend, love that cheer. :silly:

If Parise plays in net, any chance they could find him a "goalie tether"?

I would be happy just taking 2 pts from CC. However, if our guys play the way they have recently, offensively and defensively, it could get very ugly, very quickly. This is very much a series that could make or break this season, because it doesn't get easier after this, and momentum is key. :angry::silly:

Accepting reality hasn't always been one of my strengths, but I can't escape the conclusion that we have a pretty good picture of this Sioux team, and it's a little short of the one I expected (not a lot, but at least a little).

Sometimes you can get fooled by how things "feel." They played well, etc., which suggests that they are truly an elite team. But the facts are these:

Overall 14-8-2 (71 GF, 57 GA)

WCHA 10-7-1 (49 GF, 43 GA)

That's exactly two-thirds of the regular season done. In addition, the last three WCHA series are these:

Fri 12/03/2004 W 4 Alaska-Anchorage 2

Sat 12/04/2004 L 1 Alaska-Anchorage 2

Fri 12/10/2004 W 5 @ Minnesota-Duluth 1

Sat 12/11/2004 L 3 @ Minnesota-Duluth 4

Fri 01/07/2005 W 3 Minnesota State 2

Sat 01/08/2005 L 3 Minnesota State 4

UND appears to be in the "middle" group of teams that includes the three opponents listed above, and the results spanning the last month don't make a convincing argument that UND is superior to them. Before the season, I expected the team to be on a par with CC and UMD near the top of the league. I was wrong (a lot) on Denver and MN, and on UND and UMD.

For this weekend, I need to consider what I would think if UAA, UMD or MSUM were traveling to CC for a series. I would think that those pretty scrappy teams would have a chance to squeak points out of the weekend, especially with CC on a bit of an emotional hangover after beating MN, but that a CC sweep should probably be expected. Since UND seems to be on a par with the huddled masses in the middle of the league, then that is my rational expectation for them this weekend as well.

For the postseason, I have held for some time that UND has the ingredients to go on a postseason run: goaltending, defense, size, skill, some speed. But the first ingredient needed to play well in the postseason is to qualify for it. There are plenty of things left to play out, but right now UND is 12th in the PWR, in about a 13-team field (after autobids). If they slide into the end of the year at .500 or so, they could very well slip out of the field. I won't be surprised at all if UND puts it together and finishes strongly. But so far the evidence doesn't point to that happening.

I predict a split next weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I predict we get our @$$es kicked this weekend. I see no way how we can beat C.C. this weekend or any weekend or anyone above .500. I think UND has bagged the season and it appears they have issues in the lockerroom.

Accepting reality hasn't always been one of my strengths, but I can't escape the conclusion that we have a pretty good picture of this Sioux team, and it's a little short of the one I expected (not a lot, but at least a little).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with most of jk's comments. The Sioux have performed like a slightly better than average team so far this season. I still think they have the potential to be better than some of our recent opponents, but the performance has certainly been spotty.

It's easy to blame effort, "issues in the locker room", coaching, etc. My opinion as to why the Sioux haven't gotten over the hump is that they don't seem to have any stars. Elite teams have star players and the good Sioux teams of the past have never had a lack of All-American candidates.

Who on this roster has played like an All-American? Drew Stafford played like an All-American in the WJC, but I don't think he's performed at the same level for the Sioux. Travis Zajac may be an All-American candidate in another year. Brady Murray had the injury, but even so his play hasn't approached that of Brett Sterling, Marty Sertich, Ryan Potulny, Danny Irmen, Gabe Gauthier, etc. this year.

Furthermore, the Sioux really lack a top end offensive-defenseman--and they have since Travis Roche. That's not to say the Sioux defensemen are not good players individually, but the better defensemen are all stay-at-home types. One of the reasons Denver got over the top last spring is because Ryan Caldwell had the ability to take over games at key moments. Certainly that's been true of the recent Gopher teams with Leopold, Martin, and Ballard.

The goaltending has been steadily improving the past two years--but too often just good enough to lose. When will the Sioux win one of the games when they were outplayed?

Finally, some of the seniors have just disappeared. Schneider, Fylling, and Massen all performed at a higher level as sophomores than they have recently.

Finally, the goaltending has been steadily improving the past two years--but too often just good enough to lose. When will the Sioux win one of the games when they were outplayed?

At least twice this year, but they were a long time ago. I remember because I noted at the time that we outgoaltended the opposition.

Sat 10/16/2004 W 2 @ Minnesota State 1

Fri 10/22/2004 W 4 Minnesota 2

You all need to remember CC had a great weekend against the Gophs, but they are certainly not unbeatable. The Gophers should have buried the puck several times in the last two minutes Saturday night and taken the win.

If the Sioux get solid goaltending play they will have a chance both nights. Sterling will be testing the Sioux defensemen's discipline all weekend.

I predict we get our @$$es kicked this weekend. I see no way how we can beat C.C. this weekend or any weekend or anyone above .500. I think UND has bagged the season and it appears they have issues in the lockerroom.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, I saw the tigers kill the #1 Gophers on Sunday. Their passes were tape to tape. The game wasn't close. I would not be suprised if we get beat by 2 goals each night.

All I can say is GO SIOUX !!

The only outcome that would be a surprise here would be a Sioux sweep, IMHO. A split is most likely, but getting swept is definitely within the realm of possibility. I wouldn't push the panic button just yet even if the Sioux come out of the Springs with no points. UND is still well positioned to make the field of 16, barring acomplete meltdown. Just make the tournament. That's the takeaway from Denver's run last spring.

I agree with most of jk's comments. The Sioux have performed like a slightly better than average team so far this season. I still think they have the potential to be better than some of our recent opponents, but the performance has certainly been spotty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Our play reminds me of the Vikings. We haven't reached our full potential and should be playing better than we have been with our talent. Our defense has been playing well and we have lost many games by only one goal. This leads me to believe that once we start scoring more goals per game, we should be okay. Also, when you look at the loss column in the WCHA, we aren't that bad off. If we had won the other day, we would have only 2 more losses than the gophers, which isn't too shabby considering how dominant they have been playing. We would have home ice for the playoffs sitting in 5th place going by losses. On the flip side though, AA and UMD have only one more loss than us which is scary. This is why we need to beat the teams we should beat. CC will probably win the WCHA now after sweeping UM unless we can do the same to them this weekend.

Wisconsin 12-4-0 24

North Dakota 10-7-1 21

Colorado College 10-3-0 20

Denver 9-4-1 19

Minnesota 9-4-0 18

Minnesota-Duluth 6-8-2 14

Alaska Anchorage 5-8-1 11

MSU-Mankato 5-10-1 11

St Cloud St 4-10-0 8

Michigan Tech 2-14-0 4

On the flip side though, AA and UMD have only one more loss than us which is scary. 

But you have to remember that we have played 2 more games than UMD and 4 more games than UAA.

I still haven't given up on this Sioux team yet, but it is disappointing that they didn't win the Sat UAA game and the Sat MSUM game. They seem to have a problem putting two good efforts together in one weekend. They always seem to have trouble on Sat. :silly:

This weekend should be interesting. I would be happy with a split, but that might even be hard to come by with how well CC played against the Gophers. Hopefully they will have an emotional letdown after their sweep and we can always hope that the curse of the #1 continues... :angry:

The good news for the Sioux is that the Tigers have a short bench due to the injuries. They lost a Dman Friday with a concussion and from last nights game a forward Thauwald to a knee injury. For their efforts the Tigers are a bruised and tired team so time for the Sioux to step it up and take advantage. At least one win over the #1 team will do wonders for the PWR rankings.

What, all of a sudden the Sioux are the Minnesota Vikings and have no shot at winning. Oh yeah, that's right they beat the Packers. How some Sioux fans think the Sioux have no shot is beyond me. The same people with a 6 or 8 game winning streak will be flaming gopher fans about how great the Sioux are and wait till we meet again. How about some middle ground, the Sioux aren't as bad as many of you think they are, and are never as good as some have claimed them to be in the past. A little bit of motivation goes a long way.

.....we can always hope that the curse of the #1 continues...

I remember fairly well many MN fans earlier this season saying there is no additional pressure to be ranked #1 because everyone guns for the gophers anyway. In reading that board today it appears there are many who would not agree with the earlier sentiment.

I think it's fair to say that this version of Sioux hockey just seems to lack something. Maybe it's an intangible, maybe it's a lockerroom issue, maybe it's a great scorer or a real solid D-Man, but this team lacks something and because of that, I boldly predict this team will not even make the Elite Eight of college hockey this year.

That ending to Saturday's game was the nail in the coffin for me.

I remember fairly well many MN fans earlier this season saying there is no additional pressure to be ranked #1 because everyone guns for the gophers anyway. In reading that board today it appears there are many who would not agree with the earlier sentiment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everyone "guns for the Gophers?" ...That statement is laughable. I think the only gunning for UM is between Wisco, UND and perhaps UMD. And I also think it is likewise in UM gunning for those teams as well..As far as the remaining conferences they could give a rats azz about them.

You all need to remember CC had a great weekend against the Gophs, but they are certainly not unbeatable.  The Gophers should have buried the puck several times in the last two minutes Saturday night and taken the win.

If the Sioux get solid goaltending play they will have a chance both nights.  Sterling will be testing the Sioux defensemen's discipline all weekend.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I predict a split this weekend. The Sioux will surprise one of the two nights - heck we should have swept them at home earlier this year but blew it.