SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Tigers preview

01grad

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would this board think/do if something that has not even been pondered in this thread happens? A UND sweep.

I know it doesn't roll off the tongue first but....your thoughts.

I'd rather not hear about pigs and the moon or ice in hell.

Looking for constructive thoughts about how this may happen.

Looking for constructive thoughts about how this may happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It could happen. First, CC is pretty banged up. The Tigers will have two or three players out with injuries.

Granted, this is not as bad as having Nate Hagemo playing injured after the WJC. Marty Sertich and Brett Sterling would also have to be out of the lineup in order for it to have the same impact that Hagemo's sore shoulder had on the Gophers. :huh:

Second, I thought Zaba played out of his mind in the Sunday game of the Tiger-Gopher series. Can he and/or McElhinney string together terrific back-to-back performances? Maybe CC's goalies won't be as sharp as they were against Minnesota. (Think of Team USA vs. Belarus.)

Third, I think Lamoureux is due to steal a game or perhaps even a series for the Sioux. This would be similar to what Brandt did last season in Duluth at a time when UND appeared to be on the ropes and the Bulldogs were red hot.

Fourth, every weekend, I hope that the Sioux offense comes together to do more than generate chances. I imagine that Stafford, Murray, Zajac and Porter will figure out that they're all "go-to guys" and start scoring rather than passing. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

Finally, CC might be emotionally drained after its big sweep of Minnesota. The Tigers have one less day to prepare than usual. You have to figure that they'll be extremely tired from a full weekend of skating through Minnesota's thick air. :glare:???

I'm not saying that the Sioux will sweep or even split with CC. But I don't think it's as far out of the realm of possibility as some might believe.

The man asked for how it could happen and I think PCM laid out some reasonable scenarios.

I gathered that some CC players got under the skin of some gopher players this weekend. If so, we'll have to do a good job of staying out of the box. I don't think CC is real big. Maybe if we can bang them around a bit they'll lose interest.

CC continually buzzed Briggs all game on Saturday...even after he made a clean save...I wonder if they'll try that with Greene, Schneider, and the rest of the big boys out there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It worked for the Tigers, didn't it? If it isn't broken, why fix it?

And besides, with frustration from last week and the tempers of some of our defensemen, it would be a possible avenue to travel to acheive a powerplay. Especially if the ref happens to be Todd Anderson or Don Adam. I would include Derek Sheperd but what happened last time he reffed a Sioux game (called almost nothing) made me take a step back to wonder what exactly is his style.

CC continually buzzed Briggs all game on Saturday...even after he made a clean save...I wonder if they'll try that with Greene, Schneider, and the rest of the big boys out there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why not buzz Brigg's? He takes major offense to it as you could see him constantly high sticking the Tiger's players. I still can't believe he didn't recieve a penalty. It might have made him concentrate on the CC players too much instead of the puck and CC ended up winning.

If Parise is in the net, then we have problems. If it's Lammy, I think he tends to remain a bit calmer through all of it.

I sure hope our forwards buzz the CC goaltenders all weekend.

How to beat CC:

1) Hit them early, hard and often.

2) Be patient, don't get caught deep forechecking because of CC's great speed, and on the big ice let them shuffle along the boards but don't give up good positioning.

3) Goaltender needs to play well. Especially b/c CC will get in his face.

CC is especially dangerous going across the goalmouth, and many of their goals come on rebounds. Lammy is faster laterally than JPar, so he should get the start.

Generally, the games with CC are great to watch. Playmaking and creativity, long stretches, fewer whistles, big hits, just wish I could be there as its becoming my favorite series because the play is high quality and the games are competitive....

How to beat CC:

1)  Hit them early, hard and often. 

2)  Be patient, don't get caught deep forechecking because of CC's great speed, and on the big ice let them shuffle along the boards but don't give up good positioning.

3)  Goaltender needs to play well.  Especially b/c CC will get in his face.

CC is especially dangerous going across the goalmouth, and many of their goals come on rebounds. Lammy is faster laterally than JPar, so he should get the start. 

Generally, the games with CC are great to watch.  Playmaking and creativity, long stretches, fewer whistles, big hits, just wish I could be there as its becoming my favorite series because the play is high quality and the games are competitive....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The funny thing about CC is that they have copied UND's style. UND will hang with them. I've heard they had thier best team practice this week. UND will play them tough. If the Sioux get that first win they will sweep.

How to beat CC:

1)  Hit them early, hard and often. 

2)  Be patient, don't get caught deep forechecking because of CC's great speed, and on the big ice let them shuffle along the boards but don't give up good positioning.

3)  Goaltender needs to play well.  Especially b/c CC will get in his face.

Generally, the games with CC are great to watch.  Playmaking and creativity, long stretches, fewer whistles, big hits, just wish I could be there as its becoming my favorite series because the play is high quality and the games are competitive....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm really confident this weekend. UND matches up well with CC. I don't think CC matches up well UND. Also if Lamaroux just keeps his composure, I really think UND will at least split.