SiouxSports.com Forum

HAWKS VS red cows (GAME THREE)

iluvdebbies

8 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Such a joke that Alaska-Fairbanks with their lack luster schedule is rated like 12th in the PW well ahead of UND. Believe half their wins easily have been vs teams ranked 35 -60 in the PW.  Guessing NCAA brass is in on that. Lost a bit of confidence in PW calculation process/objectivity.

They've won the games on their schedule and it's good enough. 

If there's a problem with PWR it's that they have to tweek it annually for "good road win" and other nonsense, plus they can adjust the weighting factors. 

KRACH is a better, more truly objective criteria, that should be used instead of PWR. I don't always agree with CollegeHockeyNews.com but on this I do. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Such a joke that Alaska-Fairbanks with their lack luster schedule is rated like 12th in the PW well ahead of UND. Believe half their wins easily have been vs teams ranked 35 -60 in the PW.  Guessing NCAA brass is in on that. Lost a bit of confidence in PW calculation process/objectivity.

Alaska is currently 15th in the PW and with them being an independent team, it's highly unlikely they make the tournament, especially with a few upsets going on.
A good way to not worry about the PW is to just win your games and leave no doubt.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

I've seen this "kratcxk" quip for decades...  what's the story? Has it ever been considered? Rejected?

It's too objective and analytic.

No knobs to twiddle like PWR and RPI, so no "twiddle the criteria" committees and you have to have twiddle committees. :silly:

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's too objective and analytic.

No knobs to twiddle like PWR and RPI, so no "twiddle the criteria" committees and you have to have twiddle committees. :silly:

I didn't realize there was twiddling going on, thought the pairwise was all about clarity & objectivity.  But I guess,  people do like to twiddle, especially when no one is monitoring the ,....  uh wait, what was this about? :glare::crazy::whistling:

3 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I didn't realize there was twiddling going on, thought the pairwise was all about clarity & objectivity.  

They "adjust" the weightings of WinPct, OppWinPct, and OppOppWinPct in RPI frequently; RPI is a key factor in PWR.
They have "good road win" fudge factors that they've brought in to the RPI also.
They used to use a "Last 16 games" comparison in PWR (besides RPI, ComOpp, and H2H). 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They "adjust" the weightings of WinPct, OppWinPct, and OppOppWinPct in RPI frequently; RPI is a key factor in PWR.
They have "good road win" fudge factors that they've brought in to the RPI also.
They used to use a "Last 16 games" comparison in PWR (besides RPI, ComOpp, and H2H). 

Is this done on a moment to moment basis? Or a year end evaluation and tweak?

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

Alaska is currently 15th in the PW and with them being an independent team, it's highly unlikely they make the tournament, especially with a few upsets going on.
A good way to not worry about the PW is to just win your games and leave no doubt.

The need merimack to lose and no upsets in conference tournaments

I think the only change from last year is how OT is handled, since OT moved to 3 vs 3.

I believe this is what the pairwise would have looked like with last years formula.

As of 2022-23, OTs are all 3-on-3, and thus an OT win is only counted as 0.6666 of a win, and 0.3333 of a loss. Change the weightings here as you see fit.

image.thumb.png.62874c93301f4d69fef15ebd4e3ccad7.png

16 hours ago, mikejm said:

I wonder why NCHC.TV isn’t doing the Frozen Faceoff? Look like CBSSports does. 

How does a cord cutter watch that?

I watch on YouTube TV. Maybe you can get a free trial or something? It may be specific to the channels available where ever you are though; that part I'm not sure about.

15 hours ago, GDPritch said:

15 hours ago, tnt said:

It is what it is.  If we are o.k. with it only when it turns out well for us, then we are hypocritical.  They beat Denver, we didn’t, they swept Arizona State, we didn’t. We needed to take care of business in those games and we would be in.

Yeah, I have no beef with Alaska being in or ahead of UND. UND issues of being below Alaska are because we lost games we shouldn't have lost. As was pointed out, just look at the comparable with DU and ASU.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Does Saint Cloud have anything to play for?  They seem pretty locked into where they will be come the big tournament.  We might be able to get a lead early and have them pack it in for the tournament.  

I'm sure there are regional implications that could play into this. Not sure where SCSU could land, but if they end up in Fargo, they might have to deal with UND again their. Not exactly to their advantage as a higher seed. I'm sure they would rather be the closest fanbase to the facility ... though a good chance Gophers would end up there unless UND makes it.

10 minutes ago, Kab said:

Thanks,

Looks like Und would be 16 had they beat asu 

We also lost to Miami, tied Bemidji, and didn't beat Denver once this year. I would imagine changing the Miami and Bemidji game to a win would move us up quite a bit. Add in one win against Denver this year and we'd probably be 13 or higher.

• Upvote 1