SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Off-season Recruiting

SD UND

7 minutes ago, McBuckets said:

McAndrew already has offers from Nebraska, Wisconsin, Creighton Iowa, and Xavier. So he will be out of reach.

Does Tibbits have no offers or just no D1 offers? That’d be pretty surprising to see the NSIC schools haven’t been going after him.

I am aware he has visited schools and has offers. I know his famly has close ties with UNI and Creighton and his father played at UND. That is why you make an effort and have a conversation with him and let him know you would love to have him at UND. You never know how things change with coaching changes and the portal options.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I am aware he has visited schools and has offers. I know his famly has close ties with UNI and Creighton and his father played at UND. That is why you make an effort and have a conversation with him and let him know you would love to have him at UND. You never know how things change with coaching changes and the portal options.

From what I have seen McAndrew is basically already a lock for Creighton. I do agree with you though, it would be wise to at least reach out and say that if things don't work out at Creighton (or whatever school he does go to) that you would love to have him. It doesn't hurt to put that out there and build that relationship a bit. 

Tibbits seems like the type of player that Sather has thus far failed to recruit.  Someone that can handle the ball with speed and drive the net and cause fouls.  If we want to be a team that shoots the three, we need some guys who can do this becuase he can drive and dish it for some great looks from three.  Not saying Tibbits is a D1 talent or not, but his style of play is exactly what we need.  Someone like Crandall or WIU's scorer.  Doesn't have to be THAT good, but that same skill set is badly needed and I can't think of anyone that Sather's had that fits that mold.  BJ is too tall and doesn't handle the ball well enough, but would complement someone like this greatly.

21 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Tibbits seems like the type of player that Sather has thus far failed to recruit.  Someone that can handle the ball with speed and drive the net and cause fouls.  If we want to be a team that shoots the three, we need some guys who can do this becuase he can drive and dish it for some great looks from three.  Not saying Tibbits is a D1 talent or not, but his style of play is exactly what we need.  Someone like Crandall or WIU's scorer.  Doesn't have to be THAT good, but that same skill set is badly needed and I can't think of anyone that Sather's had that fits that mold.  BJ is too tall and doesn't handle the ball well enough, but would complement someone like this greatly.

You mean like Tyree Ihenacho.

• Upvote 1

Being 5’11, which doesn’t look like he’s even that, he has everything going against him. I’ve never seen him play or even heard of him until now but caught a couple highlights. Is he a good enough shooter, athletic enough, playmaker, defender to make up for his size? To me, given his track record, it would be worth a shot for an NSIC team to certainly take a look. 

12 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Here’s a guy we should make a late push for: Mier Panoam. I know Bentiu enjoyed his time at UND why not get his brother? 
https://247sports.com/player/mier-panoam-46135106/

I’ve been intrigued by Mier for some time. He’s got some solid offers, just wonder if they’re all still standing beings he hasn’t committed anywhere. Unreal athleticism. 

12 hours ago, GoodGood said:

Here’s a guy we should make a late push for: Mier Panoam. I know Bentiu enjoyed his time at UND why not get his brother? 
https://247sports.com/player/mier-panoam-46135106/

I know Bentiu is still around in Grand Forks as well. Could probably have a good chance to get him if we made a push for him

On 3/27/2023 at 12:54 PM, GoodGood said:

Anyone know anything about Hayden Tibbits out of Wayzata? I was reading Gopher site and there’s people there that think the Gophers should give him a shot. He’s 5’9”. Zero college offers. 1,000 point scorer. All Metro team. Mr Basketball finalist. I’d think he’d be worth taking a chance on 

Just committed to St Thomas. 

Of the known offers or players that you believe we may have mutual interest with in the portal, what’s everyone’s priority list? 

Known Offers: Jamar Brown, Trent Johnson, Tasos Cook, Braelon Bush and Deng Mayar

Potential Mutual Interest: Terrance Brown, Eli King, Elvis Nnaji… there’s obviously more and I could be missing some offers.

I struggle really prioritizing it but I will say I love Jamar Brown. Deng Mayar would provide an excellent motor with length and athleticism.  Terrance Brown, who’s supposedly visiting soon, gives me Geno vibes. Eli and Elvis both played with BJ and Trey so if that can help people stick around that’s awesome plus Eli at least was highly touted. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Potential Mutual Interest: Terrance Brown, Eli King, Elvis Nnaji… there’s obviously more and I could be missing some offers.

I'm not sure how likely it would be that Eli King would actually come to UND. He was a 4 star recruit out of high school with offers and interest from plenty of P6 schools like: Iowa, Marquette, Stanford, Minnesota. I find it hard to believe that all those schools and others would give up on a 4 star recruit after one year. Who knows though!!

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I'm not sure how likely it would be that Eli King would actually come to UND. He was a 4 star recruit out of high school with offers and interest from plenty of P6 schools like: Iowa, Marquette, Stanford, Minnesota. I find it hard to believe that all those schools and others would give up on a 4 star recruit after one year. Who knows though!!

UND is not getting Eli King, sorry not a chance. The NIL agreements have changed the entire recruiting landscape now.  Any decent higher end recruit is shopping NIL agreements and UND will never be able to compete at that level.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ND1 said:

UND is not getting Eli King, sorry not a chance. The NIL agreements have changed the entire recruiting landscape now.  Any decent higher end recruit is shopping NIL agreements and UND will never be able to compete at that level.  

You guys may be right, I just know his name has been connected here. Saying someone’s not coming here, you’re going to get right more often than wrong. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ND1 said:

While I would usually agree with you on this statement.. I think there is pretty strong mutual interest in this case.

UND is definitely in play here with  few other LM's. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HoopsFan03 said:

He wants to play with his brother. Mid major interest at best right now. Valpo was seen as strong contender for both King's before their staff got fired.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

He wants to play with his brother. Mid major interest at best right now. Valpo was seen as strong contender for both King's before their staff got fired.

Yes, not sure if UND would take both. 

It's interesting because both are the same position. I get that they want to play together, but most likely wouldn't be on the court together at the same time very much, IMO.

He will visit UND, so he is at least considering.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Montana State just got a commitment from big man Jackson Grant. Former McDonald’s All American. I really hope there’s some unreported offers out there. We need a big guy 

By the looks of the offers that are reported, they appear to be going after 1's and athletic 4's or undersized athletic 5's.

Maybe they feel good about having Mathews as more as a traditional bruiser, T a pick and pop/face-up 5 and want to use 1 or 2 on a guy that can roam between 4 and 5.

From the outside looking in, it looks like Plan A is to get some size and athleticism and move B.J. to the 3. 

While I love the idea of having BJ play the 3, his actual position, we need a big guy bad! Doesn't have to be a bruiser. Somebody with some length that can block shots or alter shots at the rim. Teams had 0 issues getting to the rim and scoring at the rim as they didn't have to worry about getting their shot blocked. That is a huge reason why we had a bottom 3% rated defense in the nation... that needs to be addressed ASAP

• Upvote 2