SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

GPL was talking about he red shirted and he was coming back.

I know his dad , if und makes an offer he would take it in a heartbeat , the question really is how good is he and is he the right fit.  Neither michgan team recruited him originally 

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

Matt Staudacher, Dman from UMN, entered the portal.
He's a leftie, but he does have two years of eligibility left.

Maybe someone for Berry to check out...although he's a MI native so UM or MSU wouldn't be a surprise destination for him.

Would he make either of those teams? 

Does anyone think there’s a possibility Brent Johnson opts to stick around? I lean towards “no” but he’s a right handed defenseman that would get more playing time than he did last year. Still probably not going to happen but just food for thought that I wanted to throw out there and see what you all thought. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Does anyone think there’s a possibility Brent Johnson opts to stick around? I lean towards “no” but he’s a right handed defenseman that would get more playing time than he did last year. Still probably not going to happen but just food for thought that I wanted to throw out there and see what you all thought. 

I'm wondering the same thing. I keep checking to see if he's latched onto another program, and so far he hasn't (at least not that I've seen). 

5 hours ago, brianvf said:

Matt Staudacher, Dman from UMN, entered the portal.
He's a leftie, but he does have two years of eligibility left.

Maybe someone for Berry to check out...although he's a MI native so UM or MSU wouldn't be a surprise destination for him.

1 hour ago, MGsioux said:

I know his dad , if und makes an offer he would take it in a heartbeat , the question really is how good is he and is he the right fit.  Neither michgan team recruited him originally 

Here is Matt Staudacher's EP page. I might be misreading it, but it looks like he'd have three years of eligibility left (since the COVID season doesn't count). He played at Shattuck St. Mary's and then for Muskegon in the USHL. Undrafted. Never been a scorer. Consistently positive +/-. Good size (6'1", 194 lbs). 

25 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I do not think there’s a chance. There’s no guarantee he would even get more playing time here next year. The guy didn’t play for months here. Bridge is effectively burned. 

9 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

Here is Matt Staudacher's EP page. I might be misreading it, but it looks like he'd have three years of eligibility left (since the COVID season doesn't count). He played at Shattuck St. Mary's and then for Muskegon in the USHL. Undrafted. Never been a scorer. Consistently positive +/-. Good size (6'1", 194 lbs). 

He would have two years. If he was a RHD it would make him a lot more attractive, but a responsible stay at home D is what this next years team will need. 

4 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

He would have two years. If he was a RHD it would make him a lot more attractive, but a responsible stay at home D is what this next years team will need. 

Ah right, he's used three of his five academic years. I forgot about that.

8 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Hearing he had offers from MI, Q Pac, Merrimack and Ohio State. Chose Ohio State. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I’ve thought about that a lot. Tons of growth can happen those upperclassman years and I honestly think he’d get a ton of PT and could most likely run our PP. But….No way he comes back :) For how much he sat last year, something happened. I doubt the staff os welcoming him back. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Idk about you all, but that feels like a really odd fit. But, they did lose a lot of bodies, so he's gonna have opportunities. Wish him the best, just not against his old team ;)

Agreed.  He'll probably get slotted into a higher spot that he would have here, considering they lost their entire high scoring top line.
It'll be interesting to see how he does...he had such a great start to his career here...no idea what happened last year with him just disappearing from the scoring.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bale31 said:

You got a good one with zmolek. He was the conference freshman of the year for us.

Is there an offensive upside he can tap into going forward from his freshman year, or is he going to be a defensive defenseman that can outlet the puck? 

1 minute ago, bale31 said:

He had a bit of offense to him his freshman year, but I'd say he's probably more defensive.

I was also wrong. He was on the all-rookie team, not rookie of the year.

Too late. I've already penciled him in as "Cale Makar 2.0."

• Like 2