SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Early Departures & Portal Transfers

brianvf

Last week in the good, the bad, and the ugly format.

The good: Pyke, Persson

The bad: Still having need of two D and more

The ugly: There are still unknowns like what will 28 do now that his rights are traded or what does 13 plan to do. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Last week in the good, the bad, and the ugly format.

The good: Pyke, Persson

The bad: Still having need of two D and more

The ugly: There are still unknowns like what will 28 do now that his rights are traded or what does 13 plan to do. 

Relax... if 28 comes back great BUT if he doesn't, the team will be fine -  it's not like he's going to put up 15-20 goals next year.

13, I admired his play +  tenacity etc. but he has not overall effect on the team next year if he is cut... big deal. #21 should have been this/that player all year and has more upside and offensive game. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, The Sicatoka said:

Judd is not officially gone. 

Berg checks nearly every box. Center, good at draws, folks the spot in classes that Costantini vacated.

Yeah, I'd guess we hear more on the Judd situation early next week.  If they want to sign him, you'd think they'd make that push sooner rather than later.

Agreed on Berg.  I think he and Larson are the best two forwards in the portal.  Landing him was a big one...I think he'll instantly slot into a top 9 role (going with the three definite scoring lines/one shutdown line).

2 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

No way Omaha fans are going to be bitter about this

Yeah for sure, they're not ones to hold grudges.  ;)  :D 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/cameron-berg-to-fulfill-dream-by-playing-at-und

Berg, who played his first two years of college hockey at Omaha, entered the transfer portal Monday and committed to UND on Saturday during his campus visit.

"It exceeded my expectations, to be honest," Berg said of his visit. "I knew it was nice, but it was just incredible.

"The atmosphere is great. It's professional. Everything they have is to help you get better one way or another. They create a really good environment to hang out at the rink all day."

The Fighting Hawks wanted to bolster their center depth with sophomore Matteo Costantini leaving in the transfer portal. They did so in a big way.

Berg, a 6-foot, 195-pound center, is a fourth-round New York Islanders draft pick.

He was one of the highest-scoring players in the transfer portal, tallying 10 goals and 24 points in 37 games last season. He also was solid in the faceoff dot, winning 52.8 percent of draws.

Berg, who scored a goal against UND in his last game as a Maverick, said he was able to meet some of the current Fighting Hawks players.

"I got to know some of them," he said. "They're great guys. I'm looking forward to meeting the others. They have some really good players. They're really tough to play against. I've also played against Ludvig Persson, too. He was such a great goalie, I'm excited he's on my side now."

I might be imagining things that don't happen, but I would guess Anaheim would have a pretty good idea of what it will take to sign Caulfield before trading for his rights.  Not tampering or anything like that, but agents and GMs have a way of getting their messages across.  So I'll be surprised if he doesn't sign.

As for portal signings, UND may have gotten one of the top two available players at each position so far.  

At forward, I can run with the current group.  If they have to add another one or two, whether that's Albrecht or a minor portal grab to get the numbers up, that's fine.  But I can draw up awesome lines from the current roster.

At defense, UND appears to need one more player who can anchor a line.  Then you can go with two portals and four frosh, with another frosh in reserve.  And probably add another portal to get the numbers up.

In goal, either Hobie or a portal to be the backup, but largely set here.

The last few days have set the team up for an exciting year.  Exciting (scary) early and hopefully exciting (we are winners, mf'er) by the end.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, jk said:

I might be imagining things that don't happen, but I would guess Anaheim would have a pretty good idea of what it will take to sign Caulfield before trading for his rights.  Not tampering or anything like that, but agents and GMs have a way of getting their messages across.  So I'll be surprised if he doesn't sign.

That was kind of my thought too

21 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

I think #28 - if he leaves - is a bigger loss than your comments suggest.   He led the team in plus-minus.  He scored 10 goals this year (after being snakebit for half the season), and I think 15-20 is a very realistic target for his production next year.  Plus, I'd expect him to wear the "C", maybe most important.

We need size up front. He better stay, for the sake of our mental health.

• Upvote 1