SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Season (Tupac Era)

siouxvblove

• 4 weeks later...

Green White scrimmage this Saturday (8/12) @ 1 PM. Exhibition against UMC 8/19 also at 1 PM. Neither day should tell us a lot about the season, but it will be good to see the new faces on the court. I think they have the potential to make things interesting this year. There are lots of moving pieces, many of them new, for the Tupacs to get into sync.

1 hour ago, undVBfan said:

Green White scrimmage this Saturday (8/12) @ 1 PM. Exhibition against UMC 8/19 also at 1 PM. Neither day should tell us a lot about the season, but it will be good to see the new faces on the court. I think they have the potential to make things interesting this year. There are lots of moving pieces, many of them new, for the Tupacs to get into sync.

i remember bumping into tippin a few days after his first scrimmage against umc (i think they lost?)...he had zero energy and zero personal skillz...unlike ashley and pryor

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

unlike ashley and pryor

Ashley was a good coach, but put our girls in a dangerous situation that was entirely his doing (and coincidentally, his undoing).  Pryor got lucky and inherited a good program and took them to new heights (which Ashley probably would have, too, had he still been here), but gave up on this place once he realized he really couldn't take them any higher than winning a conference championship only to be matched up against at Big 10 powerhouse in the first round of the NCAA.  Turns out, he was never really committed to this place in the first place (he never changed the Texas license plates on his Bronco, despite living in GF for like 4 years).  I don't know what to say about Tiffin, other than he inherited a floundering program and proceeded to take them all the way to the bottom.  He really was good for nothing, and while I can't stick up for Tiffin, I still blame this on Pryor.  Thank God for Tupac; hopefully he won't selfishly cause more harm.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Ashley was a good coach, but put our girls in a dangerous situation that was entirely his doing (and coincidentally, his undoing).  Pryor got lucky and inherited a good program and took them to new heights (which Ashley probably would have, too, had he still been here), but gave up on this place once he realized he really couldn't take them any higher than winning a conference championship only to be matched up against at Big 10 powerhouse in the first round of the NCAA.  Turns out, he was never really committed to this place in the first place (he never changed the Texas license plates on his Bronco, despite living in GF for like 4 years).  I don't know what to say about Tiffin, other than he inherited a floundering program and proceeded to take them all the way to the bottom.  He really was good for nothing, and while I can't stick up for Tiffin, I still blame this on Pryor.  Thank God for Tupac; hopefully he won't selfishly cause more harm.

yeah the license plates.....you would think the AD would go see him after a couple of years and say.......ummm what's up with this

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Tiffin should have been canned in 2020 after the Snapchat incident.  Would have saved the program a lot of issues.

That's the past, lets look ahead to the future. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t wait to get in the gym and see their new talent. Looks like they’ll have some big arms in the middle with the MSU transfer and the Texas freshman, so hopefully more stability in the middle opposite of Stockman. Norris and Timperly in the 6/2? Anyone at the scrimmage to see what their top line up looks like? I’m excited to see if Izzy McCormick will step into the libero role that Carney had last year. 

I wonder if preseason will look like last year where every set had a different lineup. 

I went to the scrimmage and I will say I am not a volleyball expert but know enough to make me dangerous.  The team looks much improved from last year.  The girls just looked more like Division 1 college athletes.  I plan on trying to go to the Crookston match as well.  I am really excited how much the Tupacs have transformed this team.  If you would have told me that this team would look like they do now in just year two I would not believe you. Two years ago they were unwatchable, now I am excited to get to a few games!   I hope we can keep both of the Tupacs around for a LONG time!  Cant wait to see who they recruit for the 2024 season!  Success only brings in better players! 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

The team looks much improved from last year.  The girls just looked more like Division 1 college athletes. 

This is the commentary I've heard from people who are more knowledgeable about the sport than I am. They have done wonders with the existing pieces they were working with and brought in some impressive athletes.

• Upvote 3

I thought we would be ranked higher 

NDSU 2nd, UND 5th in Summit League Volleyball rankings

Fargo, ND, USA / The Mighty 790 KFGO | KFGO
Aug 23, 2023 | 12:55 PM
Summit-League.jpg

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – South Dakota was selected to take home the Summit League volleyball regular season title, garnering 61 points and six first-place votes in the preseason coaches’ poll released Wednesday by league officials. The Coyotes have won at least a share of the regular season crown three times since joining the league, including a season ago. South Dakota held a seven-point advantage on North Dakota State to claim the top spot in the poll voted on by the league’s nine head coaches.

The Bison, who received two first-place votes, edged Omaha for the runner-up spot, finishing with 54 points. The Mavericks tallied 53 points and received the remaining first-place vote. South Dakota State claimed fourth with 39 points, while North Dakota accumulated 34 points to place fifth.

Denver (30) was predicted to finish sixth, while Kansas City (25) and St. Thomas (16) were projected to finish seventh and eighth, respectively. Oral Roberts rounded out the poll in ninth with 12 points.

2023 Summit League Volleyball Preseason Coaches’ Poll
Rank School Points (1st) 2022 Record (SL)
1. South Dakota 61 (6) 29-4 (16-2)
2. North Dakota State 54 (2) 21-12 (13-5)
3. Omaha 53 (1) 20-11 (14-4)
4. South Dakota State 39 18-15 (11-7)
5. North Dakota 34 12-18 (9-9)
6. Denver 30 19-12 (12-6)
7. Kansas City 25 10-21 (7-11)
8. St. Thomas 16 4-26 (2-16)
9. Oral Roberts 12 9-21 (6-12)

7 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Summit-League.jpg

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – South Dakota was selected to take home the Summit League volleyball regular season title, garnering 61 points and six first-place votes in the preseason coaches’ poll released Wednesday by league officials. The Coyotes have won at least a share of the regular season crown three times since joining the league, including a season ago. South Dakota held a seven-point advantage on North Dakota State to claim the top spot in the poll voted on by the league’s nine head coaches.

The Bison, who received two first-place votes, edged Omaha for the runner-up spot, finishing with 54 points. The Mavericks tallied 53 points and received the remaining first-place vote. South Dakota State claimed fourth with 39 points, while North Dakota accumulated 34 points to place fifth.

Denver (30) was predicted to finish sixth, while Kansas City (25) and St. Thomas (16) were projected to finish seventh and eighth, respectively. Oral Roberts rounded out the poll in ninth with 12 points.

Seems about right, that’s where we ended last year. I think we’ll finish better, but preseason polls are kind of just guessing based on returners. We’ve improved the roster quite a bit since last fall, which they don’t really take into account. Hopefully it’ll give the team some motivation to end up higher than this!

On 8/23/2023 at 2:49 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

Summit-League.jpg

It is about what I was expecting.  They still need to show a few things before they can be picked higher.  Remember:  It is harder to go from good to great than it is to go from bad to good. 

9 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

They were swept by Kennesaw St this morning. First game was close at 35-33.  The other two, not so much. Was hoping for a win in this one.  Hopefully bounce back against MSU tonight. We lost to them last year in GF.

I was not expecting a win, but would have liked them to take a set.  Kennesaw St is a good team, they finished last year ranked 53rd in RPI.  Picked to finish 3rd this year in the ASUN, which is a better volleyball league than the Summit.