SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Season (Tupac Era)

siouxvblove

54 minutes ago, loyalundfan said:

How would anyone know this? I could see having this opinion 3-4 weeks into conference. 

They lost a game where they hadn’t played well. That doesn’t mean they are discouraged regarding the rest of the season, but I responded to a post regarding “everyone is pleased”.  

3 hours ago, iramurphy said:

They lost a game where they hadn’t played well. That doesn’t mean they are discouraged regarding the rest of the season, but I responded to a post regarding “everyone is pleased”.  

I can understand why some fans wouldn’t be pleased, but I’m wondering how anyone here knows how the coaches and players are feeling. 

On 9/19/2023 at 7:16 AM, loyalundfan said:

Non conference is so subjective. Strength of schedule, teams with injuries, resting players, changing lineups. This week is when we really so how they stack up!

I liked it better when we didn't need to rationalize a bad non-conference record. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, loyalundfan said:

I can understand why some fans wouldn’t be pleased, but I’m wondering how anyone here knows how the coaches and players are feeling. 

Listen to Coach Tupac's last press conference.  He says they play a hard non-conference intentionally to push themselves. He goes onto say that he tells the team they shouldn't be discouraged by the current record, but they take the good and bad and use it all as a learning opportunity. I suspect we will be fine in conference play. 

• Upvote 2

I think that it is a cop out to say preseason is only to get ready for conference. That wins or losses don’t matter.

Again - Every team goes through the same process - in every sport - I find it hard to believe that nobody cares about winning in pre conference.

That said - here we are and I hope for a fun and successful conference season.  I enjoy watching volleyball - so athletic. Let’s get back to when volleyball is a thing at UND.

GFH

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

DENVER, CO --The Denver Pioneers totaled 12 blocks en route to a 3-0 sweep (25-21, 25-18, 25-17) against the North Dakota Fighting Hawks Thursday at home in their Summit League Opener.

The conference victory improved Denver's record to 2-7 overall and 1-0 in Summit League play.

They didn’t look good last night. 
Hornyak on the bench in crutches. 
McCormick also wasn’t dressed. 
Someone else was in a boot (Rivière perhaps). That could be why ball control was bad, but overall rough start to conference. Need to play better Saturday otherwise could lose to 2 teams picked lower than them in preseason pool. 

I watched the game last night.  I have been curious why Ashlyn Olson has not been playing?  They said during the game that she lead the team in kills last year.   Seems odd that she can barely break the rotation when the team looked like they did better last year then this year.  I agree they have not looked good all season.  Setting seems to be a issue I see.  

4 hours ago, loyalundfan said:

They didn’t look good last night. 
Hornyak on the bench in crutches. 
McCormick also wasn’t dressed. 
Someone else was in a boot (Rivière perhaps). That could be why ball control was bad, but overall rough start to conference. Need to play better Saturday otherwise could lose to 2 teams picked lower than them in preseason pool. 

We definitely need McCormick and Hornyak in the back row for our defense.  Their passing and serving were missed last night.  I feel like last nights game goes differently if we have them. They make the job easier for our setters which makes our hitters better. Hopefully they return soon.  Still excited for this season and the future of UND volleyball!