SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Season (Tupac Era)

siouxvblove

This loss puts UND down two to SDSU for that final conference tournament spot. A lot can still happen, but this was a BIG one. 

Uninspired volleyball tonight. Does McCormick bring all the energy? Lots of mistakes.  Norris and Gayle not good again, and Olson doesn’t see action. No timeouts taken in 4th set loss. 

Middles were the bright spot. Love watching Stockman play and O’dell had a good match!

On 10/27/2023 at 1:42 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

I don’t feel comfortable when the coach says never mind about wins and losses pre conference.

Really?? If true and he breaks out the juice boxes, orange slices and participation ribbons after matches then there's some issues.

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Really?? If true and he breaks out the juice boxes, orange slices and participation ribbons after matches then there's some issues.

Don't go there. Remember, as long as the student-athletes are doing well in the classroom and in the community, wins and losses don't matter. And our coaches will continue getting contract extensions. It's the UND way. (sarcasm) :silly:

At this point last year, UND actually had a chance to be regular season conference champions (or co-champions, depending on tie-breaking procedures) if they ran the table, so there was some buzz about what the Tupacs were doing in year 1.  Ultimately, UND fell flat right after that (lost ALL remaining matches), and ended up 6th in conference, and then lost the Summit League quarterfinal.  So yeah, there was some expectations for year 2 that were probably unwarranted.  Even next year might still be up and down, as we will not have Stockman.  I thought somebody said Norris still has eligibility next year, but not sure on that.  But year 4 Tupac should have all the pieces lined up to start putting his stamp on the program.

What do ya know... team that loses in the non conference loses during the conference portion of the season as well.  Can we promise not to cherry coat a bad non conference record ever again?  UND used to compete against some of the best teams in the country.  Our schedule was not that difficult to start the year and we lost to some bad teams, and we are still losing to some bad teams.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, undVBfan said:

No cherry coating, no one is happy about the season, it's just the reality of the situation. Until some big donor starts writing some 5 or 6 figure NIL checks, it's going to take time. Patience you must have, my young padawan. :)

Are vb playas really getting paid too

• 2 weeks later...

Not much going on here. Too bad. I do think we are going in the right direction but to not make the Summit tournament wasn’t on my radar screen. That is if I understand what is needed to get in.

We lost some really close matches that would have made a big difference. Hopefully the ladies keep their heads up and finish strong.

On 11/8/2023 at 9:15 AM, Dustin said:

Yeah, I didn't realize we had been eliminated from the Summit League Tournament (by my math, at least).  Pretty big disappointment.

Well,  the loss tonight sealed it if it hadn’t already. Tonight was bad, another 0-3 loss with no line up changes. Gayle consistently hitting .000 or negative, so Olson must not have the coaches trust for some reason. Potentially because she’s not a good passer, but Gayle was aced twice tonight with no blocks…

Only announced 1 on signing day yesterday, so that means everyone is coming back but the two middles, or they have transfers in mind. 

Again, it’s only year two, and 3 of the staff is new this year, so it is still a building year and a learning process, even though it is a disappointment. Almost everyone on the court are last staffs recruits (McCormick, Norris, Timperly, Gayle, Barber, Stockman, Hornyak) so once they have their recruits in, we’ll get to see what their style/type is!  Next year has to have some improvement, in my opinion!

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, loyalundfan said:

Well,  the loss tonight sealed it if it hadn’t already. Tonight was bad, another 0-3 loss with no line up changes. Gayle consistently hitting .000 or negative, so Olson must not have the coaches trust for some reason. Potentially because she’s not a good passer, but Gayle was aced twice tonight with no blocks…

Only announced 1 on signing day yesterday, so that means everyone is coming back but the two middles, or they have transfers in mind. 

Again, it’s only year two, and 3 of the staff is new this year, so it is still a building year and a learning process, even though it is a disappointment. Almost everyone on the court are last staffs recruits (McCormick, Norris, Timperly, Gayle, Barber, Stockman, Hornyak) so once they have their recruits in, we’ll get to see what their style/type is!  Next year has to have some improvement, in my opinion!

I think we need a setter also.  I see the sets and they are not as crisp as other teams I have watched.  Also I believe most of the team was recruited by the current staff.  I know Gayle, Barber, Stockman for sure were recruited by current coaches.  I dont get why Olson is not playing either or any type of line up change makes no sense.  

3 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

I think we need a setter also.  I see the sets and they are not as crisp as other teams I have watched.  Also I believe most of the team was recruited by the current staff.  I know Gayle, Barber, Stockman for sure were recruited by current coaches.  I dont get why Olson is not playing either or any type of line up change makes no sense.  

Article from December 2021 before Tupac was hired. Barber committed and signed with previous staff. 

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2021/12/14/womens-volleyball-und-volleyball-adds-four-signees.aspx 

2019 roster- Gayle was on team. Might have even been a Pryor recruit. 
https://fightinghawks.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/2019

And thought stockman transferred after 2021 season before Tupac was hired, but could be wrong on her. Timperly committed to Tiffin (her Instagram says committed September of 2021), but all other freshmen this year are Tupacs. De Jong, Lugo, and O’Dell are the only three non freshmen that I can see that didn’t have a commitment on their Instagram before Tupacs hiring. 

41 minutes ago, loyalundfan said:

Article from December 2021 before Tupac was hired. Barber committed and signed with previous staff. 

https://fightinghawks.com/news/2021/12/14/womens-volleyball-und-volleyball-adds-four-signees.aspx 

2019 roster- Gayle was on team. Might have even been a Pryor recruit. 
https://fightinghawks.com/sports/womens-volleyball/roster/2019

And thought stockman transferred after 2021 season before Tupac was hired, but could be wrong on her. Timperly committed to Tiffin (her Instagram says committed September of 2021), but all other freshmen this year are Tupacs. De Jong, Lugo, and O’Dell are the only three non freshmen that I can see that didn’t have a commitment on their Instagram before Tupacs hiring. 

My mistake then on Gayle and Barber. Memory isn't as good as I thought.   I do know they recruited Stockman because I thought they got a really good find to turn the team around.   i am looking forward to see what all his own recruits can do.