SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

4 hours ago, Dustin said:

I’m going out on a limb and saying we beat both SU’s this year. But we’ll probably stumble in a road game like UNI or USD. 9-2 is achievable, but what really matters is that they get to the playoff quarterfinals at a minimum. 

I think everyone, myself included, would be very happy with 9-2. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

@UND-FB-FAN If you were in charge we would be in Missouri State's position.  You lost all credibility imo.  It takes time to build a consistently winning program, year after year.  Read a little about delayed gratification maybe.  UND is one of 11 teams to make the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years and our facilities aren't even built yet.  The program is and will continue to get better.

That is bullsh*t. You don’t get a decade plus to build any program up unless expectations aren’t there. Delayed gratification? Have you even paid attention to this program’s roller-coaster trajectory over the past decade? While Bubba has been babying this thing, NDSU has been feasting; and the monopoly on North Dakota football has barely gone in a positive direction for UND since Bubba’s hire in ‘14. Your argument that UND has better facilities coming is independent of the coaching / recruiting that has been done up to this point. No doubt the recruiting will improve with better facilities, but that doesn’t glorify the so-so results up to this point. I get I’m preaching to the choir of UND faithful, but sometimes you need to wake up and smell the roses to demand better. 

My simple demand is UND needs to start winning some big games (in 2023 that would include Boise St., SDSU and NDSU, and of course playoffs), and yet you goons still find a way to get triggered by that.

Lastly, to several of @iramurphy’s points, just to be clear, I don’t expect my comments here to do sh*t; so please don’t misinterpret a little forum chatter/fun and steer this thing into an abyss. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:. No doubt the recruiting will improve with better facilities, but that doesn’t glorify the so-so results up to this point. I get I’m preaching to the choir of UND faithful, but sometimes you need to wake up and smell the roses to demand better. 

A month ago, when you were either having a happy day, or for a moment forgot you hate UND football, you sounded downright optimistic about the recent recruits.  
What happened?

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, shep said:

A month ago, when you were either having a happy day, or for a moment forgot you hate UND football, you sounded downright optimistic about the recent recruits.  
What happened?

Trust me, I don’t hate UND football. That completely idiotic statement doesn’t deserve a response, but as a starter, simply the amount of my comments on this forum is in my defense.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Trust me, I don’t hate UND football. That completely idiotic statement doesn’t deserve a response, but as a starter, simply the amount of my comments on this forum is in my defense.

"Demanding" something doesn't make it so.  UND isn't the only program that has the same expectations as you.  Yes, they expect to be a championship program.  They continue to build and get better, and if you can't see that, you're blind.  You sound like one of my todlers sometimes.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think this is most probable, and as such I think 8-3 happens with a home playoff win and second round playoff loss (1-1 in playoffs like spring 2021). Some may call that a good season, but with the amount of seniors on this team, I don’t see how that is true progress. I would call that status quo, and this team/program under Bubba would remain years away from anything close to a championship.

Bottom line, next step for this team is 2 playoff wins, and I think beating Boise or SDSU shows the team is capable of that (both to us as fans but also to the team themselves). 

I'd say most of us agree with you, one win and then a playoff loss would be frustrating as hell and would not be progress.  Want more than that.  

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, nodak651 said:

"Demanding" something doesn't make it so.  UND isn't the only program that has the same expectations as you.  Yes, they expect to be a championship program.  They continue to build and get better, and if you can't see that, you're blind.  You sound like one of my todlers sometimes.

Depends on how hard you demand. You could learn something from your toddlers (including spelling), rather than the other way around. 

Would like to see actions match these “expectations” at some point. First round playoff exits year after year will not get it done; I can clearly see that and am not blind to it. Hopefully 2023 will be different and include some program changing wins; I will not apologize for wanting more, even with this glacial rate of “progress” some claim.

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

kinda yeah...how about a game with a team from the sec v the big 12 or pac 12 v big 10?  some bluebloods!

how about them gamecocks tho!!!!!!!!

Saving that for next Sunday, LSU/FSU in Orlando will be excellent.  Still saving the big openers for Labor Day still.  Don't know if the appetite is there for a big knocker matchup in Week 0

Sorry Norte Dame, going over to Ireland doesn't count. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

hakim with a nice catch/bomb on the twitters....who threw it?

That was a perfect ball..... hopefully we see those two hooking up on a lot of connections in the future.  But will only be in mop up duty this time unless there are injuries, hoping not.

#butwasheontheposter

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see a QB room ... finally. 

Should the 2023 Walter Payton Award Watchlist starter have a problem both 3 and 6 look to be able to step in. 

Do not burn a year of 11. 

Well said.

If I may be preachy -- Unless you are a fan of SDSU this year, there are restless souls on every message board looking for the next flashy thing constantly. God, bless them. It comes out in threads about our communities as much as it does in threads about our athletics. Theses are the individuals who will call for the "future" of the franchise to jump the process, while their head is still swimming, trying to figure out college social life in a new town, their class schedule and the best way to get around campus and not be late, team meetings, strength and conditioning demands, deciphering a DI level playbook and all the other plights of new freshmen.  Then, when the "future" finally gets his shot(s), these same individuals immediately start calling for the next big thing after the once-so-called "future" begins exhibiting even the slightest flaws (skill, mental or otherwise), maybe an occasional inevitable INT, or throws into double coverage, or doesn't adequately go through his progression, or causes a false start or two or three, or mistakenly runs into a sack, or short arms it on a long bomb, or God forbid mans the helm during an occasional loss, etc. As the once-so-called "future" builds more of a resume and exposes his game, the restless souls will get, well, restless, and start talking about that next wunderkind in the recruiting pipeline. Thus is life in message board world. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

... while their head is still swimming, trying to figure out ... and all the other plights of new freshmen.

There's a reason you seldom see:
- true freshman (18-19 year old) QBs
- true freshman CBs/DBs
- freshman centers (in hockey) before Christmas
- freshman defensemen without an "old guy" beside them 

@Teeder11 explained why. 

When you do see one, they are the exceptional exception and not the rule. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I see a QB room ... finally. 

Should the 2023 Walter Payton Award Watchlist starter have a problem both 3 and 6 look to be able to step in. 

Do not burn a year of 11. 

11 gets 4 games plus playoffs without burning a year, now, remember? 

With that said, this is #2’s team, but the upcoming QB battle between #3 and #11 will be intense. Iron sharpens iron, all good things for UND football under Freund. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

11 gets 4 games plus playoffs without burning a year, now, remember? 

With that said, this is #2’s team, but the upcoming QB battle between #3 and #11 will be intense. Iron sharpens iron, all good things for UND football under Freund. 

I thought playoffs count in the four game exception. 

Like I said, finally, a room

Tommy started in a room with Grover, Ketteringham, and Zimmerman. This ain't that room ... thank goodness. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I thought playoffs count in the four game exception. 

Like I said, finally, a room

Tommy started in a room with Grover, Ketteringham, and Zimmerman. This ain't that room ... thank goodness. 

I don't even remember Grover.

I do remember Ketteringham and Zimmerman, and when that season started there was talk about how that was the best our QB room had looked in the D1 era. How sad of a statement was that.

There was hype around Kett when he came because he had been a pretty solid looking recruit before going to Sac St. And if I remember right Zimmerman had spent some time at EWU. Those were some rough times.

On 8/24/2023 at 3:16 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

All these low expectation caps on what UND can and can’t do is ridiculous … sure 50 points is hyperbole, but lowering expectations year after year is b*llshit … win by a couple scores and make it the f*ckin goal 

Who is lowering expectations. I don't care if we win by 1 or 50, I just want to see us win. Obviously I'd rather see us win by a bigger margin than one. 

I really would love to see a 9-2 team this year with more than 1 playoff win. That should be realistic and achievable. Even if it is 8-3, I'd still like to see us have more than 1 playoff win. (Obviously I want to see us win in Frisco, but I'd take any playoff improvement at this point)

SDSU will be very tough on the road BUT we should 100% be going in there with the mentality that we are going to win. If the players don't believe that, they have already beat themselves. Hopefully we will have some success and confidence heading into that game.

Same goes for Boise. Bigger and better on paper, but FBS teams get knocked off every year. We should have finished off Nebraska last year. I want a win. I acknowledge the odds point towards a loss (but make it competitive). I would be disappointed to see and absolute blow out.

Those games aside, its the NDSU, UNI and even USD games that we need to step up and be tough. Those will be the real difference makers on our schedule. USD may not be a top team in the MVFC, but that game always gets tough, and I believe we are in Vermillion this year.