SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

Sorry if this has been discussed. I’m traveling and not connected very well. 
per Miller mailbag - talking about changes with Schwenzfier and Dosch - changes are going to be more about effective teaching and a positive culture.

Should we read anything into the bolded part re: past D coordinator?

10 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

too hard with his other work duties to spend 3-4 hours at practice

GFH probably should get another reporter committed to football then … they do it for ice puck 

Miller does a great job, but you can’t do it all. Eventually, regardless of what we’re talking about, if you take on too much, you get spread too thin. 

• Upvote 1

Was just listening to the 360 podcast, breaking down the O-Line. Was not aware that Carroll is out for the year with a back injury. Huge loss. Both Centers that played last year will not be playing this year. Does anyone know when this injury happened? Recent? They have four working at Center right now, Borud, Lavell, Olson, Buxa.   

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Was just listening to the 360 podcast, breaking down the O-Line. Was not aware that Carroll is out for the year with a back injury. Huge loss. Both Centers that played last year will not be playing this year. Does anyone know when this injury happened? Recent? They have four working at Center right now, Borud, Lavell, Olson, Buxa.   

Borud has performed well in fall reps. He’s bigger than Carroll and Peyton.  High snaps are a concern for me. Got to clean those up but Carroll had the yips with snaps as well. Depth behind Borud is green lol at center but miles ahead talent wise and body size than previous years. 

12 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Borud has performed well in fall reps. He’s bigger than Carroll and Peyton.  High snaps are a concern for me. Got to clean those up but Carroll had the yips with snaps as well. Depth behind Borud is green lol at center but miles ahead talent wise and body size than previous years. 

That's why I was wondering about timing. Was Carroll healthy at the start of Fall camp, or have they been working with those four (that are healthy) the entire time? Would be nice to give a 60/40 split against Drake to the top two on the depth chart. 

16 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Who else did they try there this fall? 

20 minutes ago, AJS said:

That's why I was wondering about timing. Was Carroll healthy at the start of Fall camp, or have they been working with those four (that are healthy) the entire time? Would be nice to give a 60/40 split against Drake to the top two on the depth chart. 

Carroll's been a non-participant at fall camp.  He's been at every practice that I've seen, though. Helping with drills and such.  Just not participating. Peyton, too.

11 hours ago, SiouxDini said:

I love Tom's coverage but let's not pretend practice is 3-4 hours.

Also a fair point. I'm not going to call out Tom, because I definitely appreciate what he contributes, but from a fan's standpoint, I'd definitely love more reporting to ramp up the season and build up the excitement. Maybe a periodic position overview, similar to what the 360 guys do.

Can't overstate how much I appreciate what they do to supplement coverage. Look forward to their podcasts whenever they come out.

16 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

I asked him about that via email and he said that he usually uses the fall scrimmage as a time to stop the daily reports, as it's too hard with his other work duties to spend 3-4 hours at practice.  Really enjoy his reports every fall; he does a great job.

Makes sense.  Wish he would say so publicly, or at the end of the last update, because it would keep people (me) from waiting for updates that aren't coming, which leaves the impression that they are being lazy or something, for lack of a better word.  

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Also a fair point. I'm not going to call out Tom, because I definitely appreciate what he contributes, but from a fan's standpoint, I'd definitely love more reporting to ramp up the season and build up the excitement. Maybe a periodic position overview, similar to what the 360 guys do.

Can't overstate how much I appreciate what they do to supplement coverage. Look forward to their podcasts whenever they come out.

Their sports coverage is the only reason I subscribe to the paper and I appreciate Tom as well.  If they just randomly stop covering stuff, it makes it harder to justify the subscription.  

It's pretty crazy that the Forum doesn't have an FCS guy that covers UND and NDSU and the FCS in general, neutrally.  The Fargo guys are homers and heavily biased towards NDSU and against UND, and Tom isn't a full time beat reporter.  They do a great job with The Rink Live, where they cover many programs neutrally.  Just interesting that the coverage for Football isn't remotely similar.

While I'm complaining, this annoys me (not an option for UND Athletics as a whole):
image.png.d68260d9e860ff6c4437b99183646ab5.png

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FSSD said:

Tom and Schlossman, I have a subscription to GFH because of you.  Keep up the great work.  I assume if more subscribed, we would see more coverage for football/basketball.

I subscribe to their on-line version. They own several papers in MN too. One of the few non-biased papers left. They publish MPR articles. I also appreciate the GFH sports coverage.

Rule changes for college football 

1. Running clock: The clock will now continue to run after an offense gains a first down, except if it's in the second or fourth quarter and less than two minutes remain. Previously, the clock was stopped after a first down and started once the chains were set.
  2. No consecutive timeouts: This rule prohibits a team from using consecutive team timeouts, a move usually meant to ice kickers.
  3. No extended quarters: The first and third quarters of a game will not be extended for an un-timed down if the quarter ends on a defensive penalty. Instead, the down will be played at the beginning of the following quarter.
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Rule changes for college football 

1. Running clock: The clock will now continue to run after an offense gains a first down, except if it's in the second or fourth quarter and less than two minutes remain. Previously, the clock was stopped after a first down and started once the chains were set.
  2. No consecutive timeouts: This rule prohibits a team from using consecutive team timeouts, a move usually meant to ice kickers.
  3. No extended quarters: The first and third quarters of a game will not be extended for an un-timed down if the quarter ends on a defensive penalty. Instead, the down will be played at the beginning of the following quarter.

Why the running clock after a first down? Gotta put pressure on the D and gives the O an advantage. 

Are they trying to be more like MLB?

12 hours ago, AJS said:

Carroll was awful. Won’t miss him. Borud will be better, but won’t take much.