SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

25 minutes ago, Wright4UND said:

KK is actually one of the fastest guys on the team.  Up close he is a physical specimen.  I know that he has made some serious mistakes during his career.  However, I am hopeful that simplifying the defense is the key to his success.  I think he questioned what he was supposed to do and that split second delay cost him and the team! 

The talk with new DC JS is to simplify the defense.  If this is true I think KK and Fort (plus Ball filling in as needed) will have a solid season and the safeties will make significant improvement from last year.  With this improvement from the safeties plus really good corners our defense should be much improved.

We will see!  G

Testing / workout speed and game speed are two different things, but I appreciate your optimism. We will see …

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

chris carter was one of the slowest WR in the history of the league yet he was one of the best ever........because he was smarter than his defender 99% of the time.....after seeing KK get burned on the same stuff year after year i wonder about his intelligence not his speed.

Spot on. KK is out of position as much as anyone in the secondary. Hopefully the “new system” helps…

Im skeptical just how “new” this system will be though considering where it is coming from. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Testing / workout speed and game speed are two different things, but I appreciate your optimism. We will see …

Can you explain further? I do remember a play against NDSU where the WR got behind him, but he caught him. He looked pretty fast catching him. I appreciate @Wright4UND post on this. Is it more a situation where he's routinely out of position, or like I read a few days ago over and over, that he's incredibly slow? One seems to correctable, the other is not. 

31 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

chris carter was one of the slowest WR in the history of the league yet he was one of the best ever........because he was smarter than his defender 99% of the time.....after seeing KK get burned on the same stuff year after year i wonder about his intelligence not his speed.

Could that change with a simpler defensive scheme though? Maybe the D coordinator was asking for more than KK was capable of coordinating on the field. Maybe a simpler scheme will allow him to utilize his strengths?!?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Spot on. KK is out of position as much as anyone in the secondary. Hopefully the “new system” helps…

Im skeptical just how “new” this system will be though considering where it is coming from. 

You are not wrong but there are appropriate ways to give criticism. I agree if he doesn’t play better this year he needs to ride the bench and give someone else the experience.

5 minutes ago, AJS said:

Can you explain further? I do remember a play against NDSU where the WR got behind him, but he caught him. He looked pretty fast catching him. I appreciate @Wright4UND post on this. Is it more a situation where he's routinely out of position, or like I read a few days ago over and over, that he's incredibly slow? One seems to correctable, the other is not. 

He’s just constantly out of position on pass plays. He gets burned way too much. Guy is ripped!

2 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Could that change with a simpler defensive scheme though? Maybe the D coordinator was asking for more than KK was capable of coordinating on the field. Maybe a simpler scheme will allow him to utilize his strengths?!?

maybe...but there is reason why bubba is 76-66 for his career...he can't seem to find his weakest link and remove/replace it before it costs him a game and or a season kostitch, kk, every fg kicker for ten years...rudy.....

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

He’s just constantly out of position on pass plays. He gets burned way too much. Guy is ripped!

This is starting to make more sense to me. Him being called slow a few days ago, couldn't be misconstrued, but the KK saga has been so confusing to me. If this is a situation given (to me) the new light @Wright4UND has shined on it. That KK is a guy that has all the physical tools. His positioning has not been good at times, think more on the mental side. Reading / Reacting. It would make sense that the Coaching staff would bet on him putting it all together and if he does, he could be a quality safety. 

Again, maybe it's just me, but that's not up to this point how I've taken the criticism about him. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I think that’s the hope. We will see.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

You are not wrong but there are appropriate ways to give criticism. I agree if he doesn’t play better this year he needs to ride the bench and give someone else the experience.

Well he’s made it to his 5th year so he basically is at the end of the line regardless. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Carter ran a 4.63. That’s faster than Rice and the same as Fitzgerald. They are not some of the slowest in history.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Carter ran a 4.63. That’s faster than Rice and the same as Fitzgerald. They are not some of the slowest in history.

No one in the NFL would say 4.63 is “fast” for a wide receiver, even in the 1990s, so the point still remains: game speed isn’t just how fast you run, but how fast you mentally process everything (instincts, reflexes, etc.). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No one in the NFL would say 4.63 is “fast” for a wide receiver, even in the 1990s, so the point still remains: game speed isn’t just how fast you run, but how fast you mentally process everything (instincts, reflexes, etc.). 

Dude said “one of the slowest WR in the history of the league”. Use your words.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1