SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-1) vs Pacific (1-1) 11/15 7PM

SWSiouxMN

I have heard we cant make a team better with the transfer portal or that students do not want to come to Grand Forks to play.  I will use our new volleyball coach as an example of what a good coach can do.  Our team won 1 game last year.  He used the transfer portal and brought in players to Grand Forks.  He transformed that team into a contender in almost one year.   They have fallen back a little here at the end but will make the Summit League tournament for the first time.  He also signed 4 athletes last week that look to be studs.  Two of the athletes are coming from Texas and California.  Proving that you CAN use the transfer portal and you CAN get players to come here to play sports for the right coach.    

• Upvote 4

The transfer portal is a quick duct tape fix. It may hold you on long enough so that your traditional high school approach can start taking place though. 

Basically if I were the head coach, I would hit the transfer portal hard to start. Try to build a winning season(s) but slowly filter in the high school approach as I believe that has a better chance at sustained success. But you obviously have to retain your kids and let them develop. 

17 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

The transfer portal is a quick duct tape fix. It may hold you on long enough so that your traditional high school approach can start taking place though. 

Basically if I were the head coach, I would hit the transfer portal hard to start. Try to build a winning season(s) but slowly filter in the high school approach as I believe that has a better chance at sustained success. But you obviously have to retain your kids and let them develop. 

This is what he needs to do. But when you are a low/mid major D1 team you are always going to have to get transfer portal players. You won't get enough years out of kids to have them really develop and help build a program. They have one good year and they are looking to transfer up. That's just the way it is in today's basketball. If you are not recruiting out of the transfer portal then you are falling behind. Just the way it is and Sather has shown that he cannot do that. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I thought UND was rotating more than they actually were before I took a deeper look. Turns out I was wrong on that and they are already a lot closer to doing then what you are yelling that they aren't.

Its going to be a process when you lose your one or two best young players every year.
I disagree that the transfer portal is the sole way to do that. Prefer not to go through the locker room issues that were here a few years ago.
I think Sather has the ability to figure it out. And I think we can all agree that it hopefully comes sooner than later.

What locker room issues specifically are you talking about? If I remember correct, the locker room issues a few years ago came from his recruits that he brough in. I also heard that when he first came to UND he still coached the players like it was a D2 program. That may have to do with some of the locker room issues. It's sad but you have to coach players differently at every level. You can't coach D1 guys like D2 guys, you can't coach D2 guys like D3 guys, and so on. Just the way it is. I'm not trying to put all the blame on Sather but he just hasn't shown the ability to coach at the D1 level nor recruit at the D1 level. I think his time to figure it out is starting to go down. He's definitely on the hot seat this year. 

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

The frustration is every team has transfers out and end up recruiting the portal.  I believe Pacific starting five were all transfer portal players.  The difference in skill, atheleticism and overall speed/decision making was quite obvious.

Either Sather does not choose to recruit DI athletes or his system is holding back the DI talent we have.  It's not like Pacific is bball powerhouse.  They were just quicker, better coached and more athletic.  

I don't know if Sather is able to coach or recruit at the DI level.  Thus far, it appears he can't.

You are a 19-22 year old Division 1 athlete... you are looking to continue to play college basketball... your two choices are Grand Forks, ND or Stockton, CA... 

You people that think UND is going to be able to just pillage the transfer portal... and get the kids you NEED to get out of there to compete with NDSU, SDSU, ORU... it's not going to happen... I'm sorry, Grand Forks and UND is not a destination for recruits... save me the "well volleyball did it" "Well football did it" that is apples to oranges. 

UND has to do it the way they are doing it and they have to strike gold with a couple of these guys.

7 minutes ago, SD UND said:

You are a 19-22 year old Division 1 athlete... you are looking to continue to play college basketball... your two choices are Grand Forks, ND or Stockton, CA... 

You people that think UND is going to be able to just pillage the transfer portal... and get the kids you NEED to get out of there to compete with NDSU, SDSU, ORU... it's not going to happen... I'm sorry, Grand Forks and UND is not a destination for recruits... save me the "well volleyball did it" "Well football did it" that is apples to oranges. 

UND has to do it the way they are doing it and they have to strike gold with a couple of these guys.

You know what else kids are looking for? A bigger opportunity and role. You tell them we have a roster full of d2 guys. If you come here you have 20 shots a game coming your way. Show them Marlon Stewart’s tape. Led conference in points and assists under Sather. Hundreds of kids in the portal would love to have that opportunity 

20 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Like Brookings is Bora Bora, give me a break.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

You know what else kids are looking for? A bigger opportunity and role. You tell them we have a roster full of d2 guys. If you come here you have 20 shots a game coming your way. Show them Marlon Stewart’s tape. Led conference in points and assists under Sather. Hundreds of kids in the portal would love to have that opportunity 

And then they get here and aren't what you expected? Then what?
There's a reason a lot of those kids are in the portal. I'm not saying that transfers can't work out, UND has plenty of success (and failures) with it. But it isn't guaranteed to fix the problems and can end up with even more. 

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

And then they get here and aren't what you expected? Then what?
There's a reason a lot of those kids are in the portal. I'm not saying that transfers can't work out, UND has plenty of success (and failures) with it. But it isn't guaranteed to fix the problems and can end up with even more. 

It can’t get any worse. We were the 350th best d1 team last year. We’ll be fighting with Mississippi Valley Delta of the Deaf for last place if we continue to bring in the level of athlete we have the last couple of years 

53 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Stockton CA has one of the highest crime levels in the country.  And I dont see what the difference in the portal for football or volleyball.  It can be done and you CAN bring kids to Grand Forks.  If you can get them Vermillion and Brookings you can bring them Grand Forks which offers more then either of those cities.  Both SD teams are way better then UND and its not because Vermillion or Brookings is better then Grand Forks.  They have coaches that know how to sell their program and know how to coach.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SD UND said:

Who is USD's or SDSU's big portal gets from outside the region?

I'm sorry, Grand Forks and UND is not a destination for recruits.  This is what you said.  This is what I am referring to.  I also said the portal should be used as a tool. I NEVER said build your whole team on the portal.  That is the coach's decision.  What I said is that using Grand Forks as a destination as a excuse not getting players is not correct.  I dont care if the coach decides to use all portal kids all freshman all seniors.  All I care is that we get players that know how to play division 1 basketball and win.   Pacific used the portal to fill their whole team.   Does that mean UND needs to do that? NO thats not what I am saying.  I dont care who USD or SDSU got from the portal.  They got kids there with worse cities then Grand Forks.    Your comment that Grand Forks and UND is not a destination is bogus, that is a excuse.  We get good players here for all other sports.  Like Vermillion and Brookings is a destination for recruits give me a break. 

3 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Jones had no problem getting talented kids to come here. Not saying anything about his style, culture, whatever.  Just the fact he had some talented teams that would run this team off the court.

That is because Jones knew how to evaluate players. He knew what a D1 player looked like and played like. Sather does not have that. He knows D2 players and that is it. D2 players will have you playing like a D2 team. Which is what UND is at this point. It is really sad. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

That is because Jones knew how to evaluate players. He knew what a D1 player looked like and played like. Sather does not have that. He knows D2 players and that is it. D2 players will have you playing like a D2 team. Which is what UND is at this point. It is really sad. 

Youre right... he has no idea what a D1 player looks like.... he's recruited two FOTY in the league... the jump from Northern State isn't as big as what you want to think. 

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Brian,  what have you been up to?

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

at the halftime warmups levias was casually shooting threes...made everyone he shot...(yes...game time shooting is diffrent than half assing some threes at halftime.)

is there a reason why danielson is getting minutes over him?

I have no idea but if we’re going to be playing 12 guys a half I’d like to give him some minutes and see if he can play 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

at the halftime warmups levias was casually shooting threes...made everyone he shot...(yes...game time shooting is diffrent than half assing some threes at halftime.)

is there a reason why danielson is getting minutes over him?

Probably because he is always hustling

doesnt always shoot good but in Texas he had a good rebound and put it back up and was fouled