SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-1) vs Pacific (1-1) 11/15 7PM

SWSiouxMN

Well after getting steamrolled by Creighton last Friday night, UND turns its attention to the regular season home opener.  The opponent, the Pacific Tigers of the WCC.

About Pacific:

When you hear about teams from the WCC.  Two names come to mind:  Gonzaga and St. Mary's (okay, maybe BYU as well).  Everyone once in a while you might hear the emergence of another team but its mainly those two you hear about the most (and BYU).

Last year a long season for the Tigers under first year coach Leonard Perry.  The squad only won 8 games and finished near the bottom of the WCC.  So you could excuse the masses if they felt like this was going to be another long year.  Funny thing about that.

See the Transfer Portal can get a bad rap because of the high majors raiding the low and mid majors for talent.  Well the otherside is this, those high major players that drop down can play immediately.  Well Pacific raided the portal, bringing in 7 transfers to their team, including 3 from Power 5 Schools.   Will this allow them to get back on track in a quicker fashion and climb the WCC standings?  They aren't getting to Gonzaga and St. Mary's levels... but could they get to the 2nd tier of teams?  We shall see, early results are promising.

About Leonard Perry (57-120 overall record, 8-22 Pacific, 3-11 WCC)

The 2nd year head coach is in his 2nd head coaching position after spending 5 years at his Alma Matter Idaho (2001-2006).  Unforunately, he was on the list of people who tried to go home... but sometimes you can't go home.  After Idaho, he spent some time with the Pacers as a scout/assistant coach, then an assistant at Southern Mississippi, Colorado State, and Pacific.  When Damon Stoudamire left to take an assistant coach job with the Celtics, he stepped into the job.

Perhaps the 2nd time around will be better for him, but it was a bumpy start in his first year and hoping that the transfers that got brought in can jump start his 2nd season.  

Also, it appeared that the coach wasn't on the sidelines for the NDSU game, so wonder if he will be on the sidelines tomorrow.

Key Player: Jordan Ivy-Curry (6'2 Guard)

The Sophomore from UTSA has been lighting it up in the first two games, averaing around 20 a game.  He can do it at all 3 levels and can do everything offensively that you can ask for when it comes to scoring.  I would expect a lot of Trent and Brooks on this guy tomorrow night.

Keys:

1) How will the perimeter defense hold?

2) Can UND hit the 3 ball enough?

3) Can UND take care of the basketball?

4) Who can establish themselves?

The Call

This is two teams that are still trying to figure out just who they are.  Pacific looks better than they were last year and UND is trying to figure things out still.  With that said, it is at home and UND plays very well at the Betty.   UND is going to have to take care of the basketball and play well defensively to get the win.  They can't afford to get this into a shootout with the Tigers, it won't end well.  You know what... I am feeling it.  UND behind Omot, Brooks, and Trent pull the upset.  

UND 81-78

Game is on the Plus

• Upvote 1

Nice writeup! I am feeling an upset in this game as well. After watching Pacific play NDSU on Sunday, this is a winnable game. It is going to be a close one but I think UND comes out on top. The key to this game is can we shoot and make 3's?? Will our starting PG and SG even attempt a 3 this game (they haven't shot a single three between the two of them in the first two games). I think we have the athletes to be able to defend them and their dribble drives, but can we score enough points to beat them? I guess we will find out tonight!

31 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Nice writeup! I am feeling an upset in this game as well. After watching Pacific play NDSU on Sunday, this is a winnable game. It is going to be a close one but I think UND comes out on top. The key to this game is can we shoot and make 3's?? Will our starting PG and SG even attempt a 3 this game (they haven't shot a single three between the two of them in the first two games). I think we have the athletes to be able to defend them and their dribble drives, but can we score enough points to beat them? I guess we will find out tonight!

Correction: Trent shot 1 three in the season opener and did not make it.