SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-1) vs Pacific (1-1) 11/15 7PM

SWSiouxMN

10 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

Seriously questioning next years recruits. We will not get better with the ones we signed.  Why blow all our scholarships before we see who is in the portal ?  Sather seems like a nice guy but I don't see that he knows what D1 talent is.  Plus this offense is starting to look like Richmonds at ndsu. Pass around and chuck up a contested 3 

He has shown that he isn't a D1 level coach. He was a very good D2 coach but cannot get it done at the D1 level. He doesn't know how to evaluate talent and has shown his old school mindset by not adapting to the transfer portal and getting solid D1 transfers. It is getting very sickening hearing that it is another 'rebuilding' year. 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

He has shown that he isn't a D1 level coach. He was a very good D2 coach but cannot get it done at the D1 level. He doesn't know how to evaluate talent and has shown his old school mindset by not adapting to the transfer portal and getting solid D1 transfers. It is getting very sickening hearing that it is another 'rebuilding' year. 

I'm questioning if he was a good D2 coach. He inherited an established D2 program. I wasn't happy when he was announced as the coach and looks like I was justified.   We need someone with some D1 experience.  Several new coaching hires in the summit league this year and looks like most of them improved their teams.   How many more seasons do have to lose before we get a new coach? 

2 minutes ago, NewUndFan said:

I'm questioning if he was a good D2 coach. He inherited an established D2 program. I wasn't happy when he was announced as the coach and looks like I was justified.   We need someone with some D1 experience.  Several new coaching hires in the summit league this year and looks like most of them improved their teams.   How many more seasons do have to lose before we get a new coach? 

I agree with you completely. I wasn't happy with the hire either and questioned if he could coach at the D1 level. I would hope that if the season continues like this, that it would be the last season for him here at UND. He seems like a good person just not a good enough coach/recruiter at the D1 level. 

• Upvote 1

I hate to think this way in November but the issues are so obvious. Our team would have to shoot lights out and have a top team like SDSU be off that night for UND to even be in the game. 

The margin of error is so slim with this roster.  I dont see any Hooker, Crandall, Huff, or Rebracha's out there.  

Here are my thoughts on some very glaring issues that can be easily fixed and help this team at least be competitive.

1. On defense we need to stop high hedging ball screens. Nobody does that ball screen coverage anymore. That is an old fashioned style of coverage. There is a reason nobody runs it anymore. We need to stop with that. Move to the more modern drop coverage. 

2. We need to get up and pressure more. Speed the other teams up. Take chances for steals. So far this year and in the years past with Sather we have shown that our defense is abysmal. Do the full-court man to man pressure that they showed in the exhibition. The other teams can do whatever they want, get to whatever spot they want, and are never sped up or having things made difficult for them. 

3. Sather needs to choose 7-8 guys that are good enough to play and just let them play. That includes the current starting 5 and Treysen, Norman, and Mathews. Enough of this playing 12 guys in the first half. We do not have skilled enough players to play more than 8 guys. Play the best 8 and let them figure it out.

4. This goes off of the last point but whichever assistant coach that is doing the subbing needs to stop. Way too many subs way too often. Nobody can get in a rhythm. A player makes a shot and they get taken out. None of it makes sense. Let the players play and get in some sort of a rhythm. 

5. Omot should play 34-36 minutes, Trent should play 34-36 minutes, Brooks should play 30+, TT should play 30+ minutes, Treysen should get the most minutes off the bench. Let our best players (especially the young guys) play the most minutes. They bring the best energy and are the most skilled players. If this is another "rebuilding year" let them play and develop throughout the year.

6. Our whole halfcourt offense needs to change. We get nothing in the halfcourt. Enough of this running a play every single possession. It ruins the flow of the game and doesn't allow the players to just play and react. We need to go to a 5 out offense. We are full of guys that refuse to shoot the 3 ball and want to do nothing but drive. But there is nowhere to drive since we have TT and/or Sueker standing in the paint. No driving lanes at all. Move to a 5 out motion and let the players make plays from there. 

I think that covers the main issues that I am seeing. It is very frustrating to see the exact same issues year after year with no changes being made. I still think this team can be competitive as the year moves on, but last night was a wakeup call that things need to be changed and they need to be changed asap!

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Here are my thoughts on some very glaring issues that can be easily fixed and help this team at least be competitive.

1. On defense we need to stop high hedging ball screens. Nobody does that ball screen coverage anymore. That is an old fashioned style of coverage. There is a reason nobody runs it anymore. We need to stop with that. Move to the more modern drop coverage. 

2. We need to get up and pressure more. Speed the other teams up. Take chances for steals. So far this year and in the years past with Sather we have shown that our defense is abysmal. Do the full-court man to man pressure that they showed in the exhibition. The other teams can do whatever they want, get to whatever spot they want, and are never sped up or having things made difficult for them. 

3. Sather needs to choose 7-8 guys that are good enough to play and just let them play. That includes the current starting 5 and Treysen, Norman, and Mathews. Enough of this playing 12 guys in the first half. We do not have skilled enough players to play more than 8 guys. Play the best 8 and let them figure it out.

4. This goes off of the last point but whichever assistant coach that is doing the subbing needs to stop. Way too many subs way too often. Nobody can get in a rhythm. A player makes a shot and they get taken out. None of it makes sense. Let the players play and get in some sort of a rhythm. 

5. Omot should play 34-36 minutes, Trent should play 34-36 minutes, Brooks should play 30+, TT should play 30+ minutes, Treysen should get the most minutes off the bench. Let our best players (especially the young guys) play the most minutes. They bring the best energy and are the most skilled players. If this is another "rebuilding year" let them play and develop throughout the year.

6. Our whole halfcourt offense needs to change. We get nothing in the halfcourt. Enough of this running a play every single possession. It ruins the flow of the game and doesn't allow the players to just play and react. We need to go to a 5 out offense. We are full of guys that refuse to shoot the 3 ball and want to do nothing but drive. But there is nowhere to drive since we have TT and/or Sueker standing in the paint. No driving lanes at all. Move to a 5 out motion and let the players make plays from there. 

I think that covers the main issues that I am seeing. It is very frustrating to see the exact same issues year after year with no changes being made. I still think this team can be competitive as the year moves on, but last night was a wakeup call that things need to be changed and they need to be changed asap!

Wait until we get to conference play before limiting to 8 players.

13 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Wait until we get to conference play before limiting to 8 players.

Let the 8 guys build some chemistry and get a feel for each other now while it's non-conference games. No sense in playing all these different lineups that don't work and won't play together in conference play. We have all new/young guys that need to build some chemistry. Now is the time to do that. 

14 minutes ago, Kab said:

What’s with Nero?

do we have anyone that can drive the bucket and shoot or dish?

I think Nero's performance last night showed why he fell so far out of the lineup. Doesn't play any defense. Just pounds the ball into the floor the whole time on offense. Doesn't make shots. I hate to say it, but he just doesn't bring much to the team. 

1 hour ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Maybe Brad Berry is moonlighting as a MBB assistant? :whistling:

38 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Let the 8 guys build some chemistry and get a feel for each other now while it's non-conference games. No sense in playing all these different lineups that don't work and won't play together in conference play. We have all new/young guys that need to build some chemistry. Now is the time to do that. 

Great idea until conference play and players get injured and foul trouble then you play someone with very little playing.  Relax it will be figured in the next few week.

I think Nero's performance last night showed why he fell so far out of the lineup. Doesn't play any defense. Just pounds the ball into the floor the whole time on offense. Doesn't make shots. I hate to say it, but he just doesn't bring much to the team. 

Nero looked like the student manager finally getting a chance to suit up and went in chucking whenever he could. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How would you actually know what that rotation should be without running different combinations in OOC games?
It isn't going to be in practice....

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

How would you actually know what that rotation should be without running different combinations in OOC games?
It isn't going to be in practice....

I can assure you in college basketball that you have a very good idea of the best rotations going into the first game. You learn that even before the first game. I mean, that is what preseason scrimmages/practices are for. That is what exhibitions are for. That is what regular practice is for. I get it you may try a different lineup here or there in OOC games but to consistently play 12 guys in a half and think it is going to be successful is just crazy....

15 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I can assure you in college basketball that you have a very good idea of the best rotations going into the first game. You learn that even before the first game. I mean, that is what preseason scrimmages/practices are for. That is what exhibitions are for. That is what regular practice is for. I get it you may try a different lineup here or there in OOC games but to consistently play 12 guys in a half and think it is going to be successful is just crazy....

And I can assure you that almost every college basketball team in the nation is playing 10-12 guys right now, trying to dial in their rotation to get it down to 8-9 core guys.

56 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

And I can assure you that almost every college basketball team in the nation is playing 10-12 guys right now, trying to dial in their rotation to get it down to 8-9 core guys.

This couldn't be more false! Take for example the Duke vs Kansas and Kentucky vs Mich St games last night, three of the teams played 8 guys in their rotation with the exception of Kentucky playing 9. Teams are not playing 10-12 guys in a half. The majority will play 8 and others will AT MOST play 10 and will dwindle it down to 8-9 guys here within their next couple games. There is a reason we are the worst team in college basketball. NOBODY plays 10-12 guys in a half.

16 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

This couldn't be more false! Take for example the Duke vs Kansas and Kentucky vs Mich St games last night, three of the teams played 8 guys in their rotation with the exception of Kentucky playing 9. Teams are not playing 10-12 guys in a half. The majority will play 8 and others will AT MOST play 10 and will dwindle it down to 8-9 guys here within their next couple games. There is a reason we are the worst team in college basketball. NOBODY plays 10-12 guys in a half.

LOL. Wake me up when we're somewhere in the top 10% of college basketball and are constantly bringing in blue chips that makes it a little more clear on who should and shouldn't be on the court.

UND played 8 guys double digit minutes against IWU. Two more played a handful of minutes, including one they see as a potential huge piece of the future who they are slowly immersing into the college game. 3 of those 10 are true freshman seeing their first college action.

Last night, despite the game mostly being out of hand the 2nd half, it was pretty similar. 9 guys played double digit minutes. Sueker played a bit less than normal, trying to get him back into game shape with getting him reinjured so Mathews got a little more run. Gave a few other guys a handful of minutes.

So UND is pretty much already doing what you're screaming about outside of a few token minutes here or there. On top of that, it is tough to get an accurate read on it when 3 of the 4 games they have played have ended with point differentials of 30 or more.

21 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

LOL. Wake me up when we're somewhere in the top 10% of college basketball and are constantly bringing in blue chips that makes it a little more clear on who should and shouldn't be on the court.

UND played 8 guys double digit minutes against IWU. Two more played a handful of minutes, including one they see as a potential huge piece of the future who they are slowly immersing into the college game. 3 of those 10 are true freshman seeing their first college action.

Last night, despite the game mostly being out of hand the 2nd half, it was pretty similar. 9 guys played double digit minutes. Sueker played a bit less than normal, trying to get him back into game shape with getting him reinjured so Mathews got a little more run. Gave a few other guys a handful of minutes.

So UND is pretty much already doing what you're screaming about outside of a few token minutes here or there. On top of that, it is tough to get an accurate read on it when 3 of the 4 games they have played have ended with point differentials of 30 or more.

You literally said, " And I can assure you that almost every college basketball team in the nation is playing 10-12 guys right now" then I show you that teams aren't doing that and you backtrack. We'll just agree to disagree on this one. Either way, it is very obvious that Sather needs to make some changes in the way he coaches this team if we want to be competitive. 

16 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

You literally said, " And I can assure you that almost every college basketball team in the nation is playing 10-12 guys right now" then I show you that teams aren't doing that and you backtrack. We'll just agree to disagree on this one. Either way, it is very obvious that Sather needs to make some changes in the way he coaches this team if we want to be competitive. 

I thought UND was rotating more than they actually were before I took a deeper look. Turns out I was wrong on that and they are already a lot closer to doing then what you are yelling that they aren't.

Its going to be a process when you lose your one or two best young players every year.
I disagree that the transfer portal is the sole way to do that. Prefer not to go through the locker room issues that were here a few years ago.
I think Sather has the ability to figure it out. And I think we can all agree that it hopefully comes sooner than later.

23 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I thought UND was rotating more than they actually were before I took a deeper look. Turns out I was wrong on that and they are already a lot closer to doing then what you are yelling that they aren't.

Its going to be a process when you lose your one or two best young players every year.
I disagree that the transfer portal is the sole way to do that. Prefer not to go through the locker room issues that were here a few years ago.
I think Sather has the ability to figure it out. And I think we can all agree that it hopefully comes sooner than later.

The frustration is every team has transfers out and end up recruiting the portal.  I believe Pacific starting five were all transfer portal players.  The difference in skill, atheleticism and overall speed/decision making was quite obvious.

Either Sather does not choose to recruit DI athletes or his system is holding back the DI talent we have.  It's not like Pacific is bball powerhouse.  They were just quicker, better coached and more athletic.  

I don't know if Sather is able to coach or recruit at the DI level.  Thus far, it appears he can't.