SiouxSports.com Forum

Week #5-Stu and Omaha.

Wilbur

Five players didn't make the trip to UNO due to injuries, including Gavin Hain...that was unexpected.  Ouch.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-to-start-nchc-play-minus-five-players-due-to-injuries

Although National Collegiate Hockey Conference teams are allowed to bring 23 players on road trips, UND did not carry that many on the plane to Omaha on Thursday because five players are out with injuries.

The biggest one of the group is fifth-year senior forward Gavin Hain, who has arguably been UND's best all-around player during the first month of the season.

Hain is out with a lower-body injury. He will be re-evaluated again next week before the Fighting Hawks host Denver.

The other players who will miss this weekend's series against the Mavericks are freshman forward Ben Strinden, senior forward Carson Albrecht, sophomore forward Dane Montgomery and sophomore defenseman Luke Bast.

Strinden sustained an injury when he was hit by Arizona State defenseman Tanner Hickey in the first period of Saturday night's U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game in Las Vegas. Strinden did not return to the bench after the first intermission. He is day-to-day.

Albrecht sustained an injury before last week's U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game and will remain out. Meanwhile, both Montgomery and Bast have been dealing with nagging upper-body injuries since fall camp. Neither have played a game yet this season.

Because of the injuries, UND will only be able to dress 18 skaters for Friday night's series opener against Omaha in Baxter Arena.

UND practiced Thursday afternoon in Baxter Arena. Because Omaha is hosting volleyball tonight, UND skated on the practice rink, which has plenty of natural light coming into it. The team held its weekly shootout competition and Louis Jamernik V won for the first time this season, outlasting Tyler Kleven, Griffin Ness and Ethan Frisch. Shootout winners this season: Gavin Hain (Week 1), Ryan Sidorski (Week 2), Griffin Ness (Week 3), Goalies (Week 4), Tyler Kleven (Week 5) and Jamernik V.

So we've got injury issues ya say?

Lines....

Blake-Schmaltz-James

Matteo-McLaughlin-Gaber

Senden-Jammer-Judd

Kunz-Ness-Portz

Guessing they throw Judd up top instead of James, but I'd like to see him given a chance.  Portz always plays with an edge, see if he adds anything.  Have a feeling the Swede starts Friday.  

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Guessing they throw Judd up top instead of James, but I'd like to see him given a chance.  Portz always plays with an edge, see if he adds anything.  Have a feeling the Swede starts Friday.  

That would be my guess as well, but I like your 3rd line where you put him in Hain's place with Sendo/Jammer.  I think he'd fit in well with those 2 and might take some of the "scoring pressure" off him if he's not on one of the top 2 lines.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So we've got injury issues ya say?

Lines....

Blake-Schmaltz-James

Matteo-McLaughlin-Gaber

Senden-Jammer-Judd

Kunz-Ness-Portz

Judd has no business playing on the top line right now. I like James with those 2 as well.

• Upvote 1

I agree that the losses so far aren't the problem, it's the way we have lost and lack of offensive chances in those games that have been problematic (and losing leads in 5 straight games). I'm ok with not getting a sweep this weekend, although that would be terrific and a great way to get out of the slump. Give me a split where we play well enough in both games to potentially win and I'll be happy as a clam.  As long as we are continually improving and in both ends of the ice, this team has upside. Methinks Deridder starts. Deridder has been to good to not play  so until he plays himself out of the net, it's all him.  Not that this matters now but the last time Hellsten started in Omaha he delivered a big pizza to an UNO forward that ended up in our net and led the way to a Saturday win in Omaha. That game was a bummer because is resulted in us having to share the Penrose with Denver instead of winning outright and knocked us down to 2nd seed for playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I agree that the losses so far aren't the problem, it's the way we have lost and lack of offensive chances in those games that have been problematic. I'm ok with not getting a sweep this weekend, although that would be terrific and a great way to get out of the slump. Give me a split where we play well enough in both games to potentially win and I'll be happy as a clam.  As long as we are continually improving and in both ends of the ice, this team has upside. Methinks Deridder starts. Deridder has been to good to not play  so until he plays himself out of the net, it's all him.  Not that this matters now but the last time Hellsten started in Omaha he delivered a big pizza to an UNO forward that ended up in our net and led the way to a Saturday win in Omaha. That game was a bummer because is resulted in us having to share the Penrose with Denver instead of winning outright and knocked us down to 2nd seed for playoffs. 

From my seat, I would say DeRidder starts, he’s been really good and Hellsten really hasn’t. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

From my seat, I would say DeRidder starts, he’s been really good and Hellsten really hasn’t. 

I wouldn't say that Hellsten has played poorly at all...DeRidder has just earned himself being the starter with how well he played in the UMN series.

3 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

With us having so many forwards out injured this weekend, will they play Brent Johnson up as a forward (right wing) on one of the bottom 6 lines? Or Cooper Moore? Or maybe they just double shift forwards to play the other wing on the 4th line all weekend. Interested to see how they play that. 

We still have enough forwards to complete four full lines...just won't have an extra forward to dress in case of further injuries.

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

We still have enough forwards to complete four full lines...just won't have an extra forward to dress in case of further injuries.

Oh wow, you're right. I'm a dummy. I seriously forgot about Judd in my brain's lineup. Not sure if I should read into that or not but then again DeRidder has more points than he does :whistling:

32 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Taking out the five injured skaters as options still leaves us with 4 forward lines, and 7 D. At least by my count. So we’ll have an extra skater, but it’ll be at D. 

Schlossman’s article made it sound like we wouldn’t have an extra skater but I think he meant extra forward. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Jandric, Kleven, Farmer, Frisch, Johnson, Moore, Sidorski.

Seems to me it's 19 healthy skaters.

I agree.
We're running 16F/8D/3G this year. 4F/1D are out per Schloss. 

12F/7D/3G ... that's a game day card (12/6 + 1ES). 

13 hours ago, brianvf said:

Five players didn't make the trip to UNO due to injuries, including Gavin Hain...that was unexpected.  Ouch.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/und-to-start-nchc-play-minus-five-players-due-to-injuries

That hit on Strinden was a classic enforcer hit. Dude came out and went right for him when he he had the chance after Strinden laid one of their players out. I am not against enforcers in hockey, but we got the short end this time. I like seeing Strinden in the lineup. Hopefully he can heal quickly.