SiouxSports.com Forum

Holy Cross @ UND - Saturday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

Pretty solid performance for the most part after a slow start. Took care of a team we should take care of this weekend now we will see how we stack up against some much better competition the next couple weeks. One thing that really showed this weekend though was the depth is there with this group, much more skill throughout the lineup especially up front.

Holy Cross has nothing to be ashamed about.   They work hard and have a strong forecheck.   Just a lower skill level overall.   But they bottled us up for stretches of time, and our defense is not chopped liver.  

(jeez, do people even say that anymore?)

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Solid weekend…showed we can have good depth scoring and our dcore is nasty. A bit concerned with the skill guys. They should have had more success against HC, especially with how our D looked.

It's early. They'll figure it out. By Christmas, we'll have a national Top 5 team.

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Prayers to the fan who took the puck to the head in 107/108....

That was a missle and looked bad.

Really really hope she is ok.

Did you notice the defensemen who’s stick it went off, I think it was Moore, covered up his mouth showing concern when he realized what happened, I thought that was cool 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Solid weekend…showed we can have good depth scoring and our dcore is nasty. A bit concerned with the skill guys. They should have had more success against HC, especially with how our D looked.

Gaber had one shot on goal tonight. They’ve got to put someone else on that top line with Gaber and schmaltz. I’d love to see Blake there. 

Costantini had a solid night on the faceoff dot tonight. Interested to see if he plays wing or center moving forward 

6 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Gaber had one shot on goal tonight. They’ve got to put someone else on that top line with Gaber and schmaltz. I’d love to see Blake there. 

Costantini had a solid night on the faceoff dot tonight. Interested to see if he plays wing or center moving forward 

I would rather see pretty much any line combo for our top line than the one that played tonight.  I like Gaber, Schmaltz and Caulfield as players but I haven’t liked them together as a line. I think there’s gotta be something that’ll work better. 

• Upvote 1

Stupid question: I missed the game live but I am trying to watch the archived game on NCHC.TV. It appears to be a beef ad and I cannot fast forward. Is there some trick to fast forwarding on NCHC.TV archived games? When I press the FF button, the dot moves, but the actual video does not FF.

40 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

How many did he get blocked?  It seems to me that Blake’s skills go for naught if the power play always is aimed at getting Gaber the puck looping at the blue line and very few shots seem to be getting through because the opposition recognize what we are trying to do.  If Gaber can find a few cross ice seams rather than shoot it every time it might be effective again.  Our second power play unit seems to be less predictable. I always wanted Blake with Gaber, but now not sure if the puck will be in his hands enough with Gaber holding it much of the time.  Maybe things just need a little more time to gel, as the coaches haven’t had too much time to work with the units, especially with the new freshmen and faces on the units.

Yeah for whatever reason, Gaber's skill isn't being shown with his current linemates.  Not sure if a change of linemates would help or if it has more to do with him trying to force things and do it all himself. 

He's still in 21/22 mode rather than 22/23 mode.  ;) :D

Now there is more skill around him that he can utilize.  Hopefully they get it figured out, plenty of time.

7 hours ago, brianvf said:

Yeah for whatever reason, Gaber's skill isn't being shown with his current linemates.  Not sure if a change of linemates would help or if it has more to do with him trying to force things and do it all himself. 

He's still in 21/22 mode rather than 22/23 mode.  ;) :D

Now there is more skill around him that he can utilize.  Hopefully they get it figured out, plenty of time.

I'm ok with Schmaltz with Gaber but Caulfield isn't the 3rd amigo. McLaughlin is an option at center with Gaber IMO as his ability to see the ice and distribute the puck is top level. Kicker is the other winger. Lots of options. Matteo was there Friday. Caulfield last night. Blake would be next logical option. 

• Upvote 1