SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 Non-UND FCS thread

The Sicatoka

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Perhaps USD isn't dead, tied at 24 with SIU in the 4th quarter

YSU up 10-7 at the half over WIU

in the knockout game, UNI up 14-0 on Mo State

Such a weird year this year, if SIU gets knocked off all of the sudden they don't look as good nationally.  The way things are playing out, it's making the MVFC not looking as good as normal, may hurt us when comes to playoff rankings.  But it's not like Montana looked good last week in the Big Sky either.  

Lots of interesting matchups in the Valley next weekend, considered the following:

In Fargo: NDSU (5-2) clash with ISU Red (5-2).

NDSU looking to get back on track while ISU Red is trying to get that big statement win to help their playoff chances.  While the expectation is a bounce back win for the Bison... what if they don't?  Then they are 5-3 with a trip to Carbondale on the docket? Panic might desend on the streets of Fargo!  It isn't the end of the world if ISU Red loses, but getting a statement win would be nice.

In Youngstown: USD (2-5) takes on Youngstown (4-3)

The Penguins find themselves on a two game winning streak and a chance to get to 5-3 with a win over a Yotes squad coming off a big time win during D-Days.  The storyline out of Verm was the replacement of Carson Camp with Aidan Bouman (son of NFL QB Todd Bouman), who sparked the comeback.  Is there a QB contraversy brewing? Yotes can't make the playoffs this year but can start the momentum for 2023. YSU has been much improved since their QB switch and could find themselves in the running for a playoff spot if they can win 3 out of their last 4. The last three games could be tough, but they need to focus on this game at home.  UND fans would really appreicate a 7 win Penguins team.

In Carbondale: SIU (5-3) take on UNI (4-4)

Another elimination game for UNI, this time they hit the road against a SIU team coming off a loss at USD.  SIU has the best resume outside of NDSU/SDSU for playoffs but that USD loss blemishes the resume a little bit.  However, their margins are thin.  A loss here makes the game against NDSU more important.  UNI needs to win in order to keep their playoff hopes alive.  If they do?  Well then things get interesting... If you are a UND fan, it might not be a bad idea to hope UNI wins out.

59 minutes ago, Kab said:

I think we need to be 8 and 3 to make playoffs 

thye keep saying we don’t have convincing wins by bigger point margins

go figure 

Unless another team is 8-3 and has a high SOS 7-4 with  top 5 SOS should be in. But they can justify anything in the backroom.

As much as I hate to say it, thinking we might be better off with NDSU winning the next 3 weeks to make our game against them bigger/more important.  If they get beat again before we play them, and then we get beat by them.....that loss looks worse.  

Do we want UNI to win or lose?  USD beating SIU makes our loss seem a little worse, if UNI beats them also...also helps makes that loss not look good.   UNI still plays SDSU, so I don't think they will beat SDSU and therefore wouldn't get to 7-4.   Although if SIU loses, and then lose to NDSU then they are at 6-5 and would be out.   I think SIU will be fired up back at home next weekend and likely win.  SIU plays at Youngstown the last game of the season, that will be a pivotal game if Youngstown is sitting at 6 wins going into that one.  

It's starting to get down to really focusing on other conference games on the schedule. What is everyone's cheering strategy from here on out?

• 0 Losses: SDSU
  • 1 Loss: SIU, ISU-Red, NDSU
  • 2 Losses: UND, UNI, Youngstown

Do we want SDSU to win out, then cheer against SIU, ISU-Red, NDSU? Based on the MVFC mediocre non-conference record, I think we want as many .500 teams (not being UND) as possible, also excluding SDSU. So, this weekend, I think we want UNI to beat SIU. ISU-Red / NDSU is basically a win/win. The one I'm struggling with is USD @ Youngstown. I don't want USD to get hot, so I'll cheer for Youngstown this weekend. 

Thoughts on the MVFC cheering strategy?

2 minutes ago, AJS said:

It's starting to get down to really focusing on other conference games on the schedule. What is everyone's cheering strategy from here on out?

Do we want SDSU to win out, then cheer against SIU, ISU-Red, NDSU? Based on the MVFC mediocre non-conference record, I think we want as many .500 teams (not being UND) as possible, also excluding SDSU. So, this weekend, I think we want UNI to beat SIU. ISU-Red / NDSU is basically a win/win. The one I'm struggling with is USD @ Youngstown. I don't want USD to get hot, so I'll cheer for Youngstown this weekend. 

I hope UND goes 4-0 in their final 4 games. They control their own destiny. 

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

UND has the head to head over UNI and Youngstown, so probably want them to keep winning (just have the same or worse record than UND).
SIU winning likely helps UND as well.
NDSU plays ISU-Red, SIU and UND to end the year (plus WIU). The last game of the year in Fargo could be an interesting one.
USD folding their season in before they play UND would be just fine with me. They aren't going to end up as a quality opponent regardless given their current 2-5 record.

30 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

USD folding their season in before they play UND would be just fine with me.

Yes.  I would like to roll them and not have any doubt of the outcome at anytime in the game.  Playing them close, even with a win, could still look bad.

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

Yes.  I would like to roll them and not have any doubt of the outcome at anytime in the game.  Playing them close, even with a win, could still look bad.

I think USD is going to be the most difficult of the three games, especially if they start Bouman at QB. 

Not sure if this belongs here…. Fargo paper “NDSU President warns deep budget cuts 2023 to 2025 due to decreased enrollment.” They are talking about a loss of $113M due to decreased tuition. Then another editorial states “We are a strong academic institution. We should stop treating it like a host only for a football team.” Interesting reading……I hope we do not face cuts like that. How is our enrollment????