SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

6 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

If the portal player is more experienced and/or better, I absolutely do not agree recruited players should be playing over portal players. The staff is clearly still believes in this team and is making their decision on who should be playing to win a game, right or wrong in our opinion, each and every night. Our favorite punching bags in terms of development - I'm thinking Costantini, Johnson, and a couple others -- have had their shot. They need to perform in those spots if they want more ice time.

It's an easy opinion to understand, in hindsight of how this season has gone, that we could have not welcomed Hain/Sendo, etc. back in lieu of spot for a guy like Spicer for the idea of future development. With that said, this staff was all in on this season and Spicer would have likely been in a suit A LOT this year and the Hain/Sendo decision was clearly made with the "win now" idea. 

But different rules for different players or leash lengths. Hain made stupids not 5th year mistakes and skates a regular shift in Constantini did th same he would be benched. Not same same rules for every player. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

But different rules for different players or leash lengths. Hain made stupids not 5th year mistakes and skates a regular shift in Constantini did th same he would be benched. Not same same rules for every player. 

Fair point. I'd argue Costantini has made mistakes a sophomore shouldn't make in his opportunities, as well. If all things are equal (production, mistakes, general on ice performance) I'd defer to the upperclassman and I think most coaches would. Would replacing Hain for Costantini night in and night out make us better? Again, I'm speaking from a "win now" approach which was the expectation coming into the season. As far as I'm concerned, Hain's body of work in his career has me favoring him for this season. Long term, Costantini has a higher ceiling, IMO, but it's win now mode and he hasn't performed in his expected role.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stoneySIOUX said:

Yep. I saw your reply. My bad, my man. 

I'll be honest, I have no insight whatsoever on what it takes to be a solid AD, so I'm certainly fine with options if there a better ones out there. I thought he handled the "NODAK" controversy in a really odd manner and frankly, that's all I really know about him. 

Question for you .... what would a new AD do for you in terms of bringing UND hockey back immediately from this wild season? I'm honestly trying to figure out what people want because from my perspective, I don't see a massive worry. I like our pipeline a lot and I haven't seen a large trend of poor coaching. It's easy to cherry pick this season because of the dumpster fire it's been, but are we TRULY that far off? Talent wise, I don't think so, and that includes the coaching staff. 

Chaves is almost invisible. You don't see him in the community. I have not heard him articulate a vision for where the department as a whole is going and/or should be going.

That said, improving the athletic department as a whole has to start at the top, with President Armacost. If he doesn't set the standard, it simply won't happen.

29 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I really don’t know if there would be a difference but one has two years left and one is almost finished so would you not want the player who you will count on for two more years to get some expierence. 

Two players of equal ability, Blais normally played the younger to see how much further they'll develop. 

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Chaves is almost invisible. You don't see him in the community. I have not heard him articulate a vision for where the department as a whole is going and/or should be going.

That said, improving the athletic department as a whole has to start at the top, with President Armacost. If he doesn't set the standard, it simply won't happen.

Yeah, that's not true. At all. Not sure where you hang out, but I see him at plenty of things.
He also has a podcast with Heinart where he lays all kinds of the info you're looking for. There's a 127 episode backlog waiting for you.
He's also extremely approachable.

No one is arguing where it starts and I'm guessing if you ask Armacost, he'll let you know that he is laying out his vision and there's a reason he gave Chaves an extension last year. Sorry that doesn't fit with your narrative.

2 hours ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Agree on the portal we need to use it wisely but not at the expense of recruiting. Freshman need to play over portal players cause the will be the backbone of the team not one and done, you recruit these players for a reason , coach them so they develop. One example Farmers give away for the first goal on Friday , if that was Johnson he would have been benched the rest of the night but Farmer skated a regular shift all night and didn’t okay well at all in my opinion. 

You hit the nail right on the head.  Johnson has a total of 36 career games which is equivalent to one Freshman season. He was never giving a long enough leash to make mistakes and show the coaching staff what is capable of doing. He was good in the first half. He did have a couple hiccups but his game was growing as his confidence grew. The coaching staff pulled the rug right out from underneath him in favor of guys with over 125 games yet were still making the same mistakes he was making.  It would be funny if Johnson lands at another NCHC rival school and finishes the last two years as one of the best defenseman in the conference. We could call him Johnny T, 2.0.  

12 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

You hit the nail right on the head.  Johnson has a total of 36 career games which is equivalent to one Freshman season. He was never giving a long enough leash to make mistakes and show the coaching staff what is capable of doing. He was good in the first half. He did have a couple hiccups but his game was growing as his confidence grew. The coaching staff pulled the rug right out from underneath him in favor of guys with over 125 games yet were still making the same mistakes he was making.  It would be funny if Johnson lands at another NCHC rival school and finishes the last two years as one of the best defenseman in the conference. We could call him Johnny T, 2.0.  

Are you suggesting Tychonick ended up as one of the best defensemen in the conference? I'd highly disagree, if that's what you're saying. Point still well taken. 

I still feel Johnson has had his shot. Should he get more? I can absolutely see the argument for that.

One thing I did not see coming this season: Dead last in the nation in save percentage*. Dead freaking last. Point eight seven six! 

When Berry brought Goehring onto the staff, I foresaw good-to-great goaltending in UND's future. Even with no coaching at all, DeRidder should have been capable of a .900 save percentage. How did this happen? Karl is a sharp fellow with NHL experience, and he's doing wonders with the PP unit. (At least it's my understanding that Karl is heading up the PP.)

Given our atrocious defense/goaltending, it's a minor miracle that we're PWR 22. That being said, the defense/goaltending has to improve dramatically in order to have realistic expectations of making the NCAAs, let alone of winning #9.

*Not counting Stonehill.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Kevin G said:

... DeRidder should have been capable of a .900 save percentage. How did this happen?

I heard an off-hand comment recently that disturbed me about DeRidder in that he's only recently fully adjusted to playing in REA.  Only recently? I know goalies take some time getting used to new surroundings (see Bob in FLA) but this is a super senior that has played in lots of college rinks. 

Then again, look at his first visit to various NCHC rinks. It follows because he struggles. 

Seems they need to do more due diligence on portals. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Are you suggesting Tychonick ended up as one of the best defensemen in the conference? I'd highly disagree, if that's what you're saying. Point still well taken. 

I still feel Johnson has had his shot. Should he get more? I can absolutely see the argument for that.

I would say he would be better than #3 or #4 or #24 right now.   To say a kid only gets 36 games to make it is a pretty high standard. I wouldn’t want to play for you if u coached.  

17 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

To say a kid only gets 36 games to make it is a pretty high standard. 

36 is a college season.
At the college level (and after at least a year of juniors), if you haven't figured it out you're down the depth chart. 

37 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

I would say he would be better than #3 or #4 or #24 right now.   To say a kid only gets 36 games to make it is a pretty high standard. I wouldn’t want to play for you if u coached.  

You said nothing about those three before you said he was one of the conference's best defensemen. I don't understand the comparison. No one is arguing 3, 4, or 24 are among the best defensemen.

That's a whole season.... time for him to prove he deserves the spot. He didn't do that. I legit said he deserves more of a look, by the way.

26 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

36 is a college season.
At the college level (and after at least a year of juniors), if you haven't figured it out you're down the depth chart. 

I would disagree.  Just because u have 36 games doesn’t mean that u played in all those games.  Maybe u only got a couple minutes. Take a look at 18 last Friday. Dressed for the game but didn’t see a shift.  It boils down to he was making the same mistakes that guys with more 125 games were making. Look at the gift #3 gave Denver last Friday.  Plus you would’ve have this kid for 2 more yrs…why not show some more interest in his development. 

4 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah, that's not true. At all. Not sure where you hang out, but I see him at plenty of things.
He also has a podcast with Heinart where he lays all kinds of the info you're looking for. There's a 127 episode backlog waiting for you.
He's also extremely approachable.

No one is arguing where it starts and I'm guessing if you ask Armacost, he'll let you know that he is laying out his vision and there's a reason he gave Chaves an extension last year. Sorry that doesn't fit with your narrative.

My "narrative" is that the athletic department as a whole has been mired in mediocrity. Funds are lacking in every sport not played on ice and that has been the case since we moved up 15 years ago. And that ties the hands of our coaches trying to compete with our regional rivals. But you just keep defending the establishment and the individuals in place if that suits you.

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Fair point. I'd argue Costantini has made mistakes a sophomore shouldn't make in his opportunities, as well. If all things are equal (production, mistakes, general on ice performance) I'd defer to the upperclassman and I think most coaches would. Would replacing Hain for Costantini night in and night out make us better? Again, I'm speaking from a "win now" approach which was the expectation coming into the season. As far as I'm concerned, Hain's body of work in his career has me favoring him for this season. Long term, Costantini has a higher ceiling, IMO, but it's win now mode and he hasn't performed in his expected role.

Nope Costantini has been invisibile for most of the season. He's had multiple opportunities to prove himself and hasn't. 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

My "narrative" is that the athletic department as a whole has been mired in mediocrity. Funds are lacking in every sport not played on ice and that has been the case since we moved up 15 years ago. And that ties the hands of our coaches trying to compete with our regional rivals. But you just keep defending the establishment and the individuals in place if that suits you.

Donate more money then instead of hoping everyone else does and complaining when it doesn't happen. 

You also failed to acknowledge 120+ episodes of "info" that you're looking for. But carry on. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

Nope Costantini has been invisibile for most of the season. He's had multiple opportunities to prove himself and hasn't. 

Hain is now in year 5......he is what he is. Has been from day 1. Give 18 10's minutes this year with 10's leash from BB and IMO he would have twice as many points as 10 currently has.

14 minutes ago, Goon said:

The only issue with that logic is that Costantini has been 4th line or extra skater most of the season, while Hain has been getting 1st/2nd line minutes plus PP time.
If you put Matteo in those roles, does he excel more?  Maybe, maybe not.

29 minutes ago, brianvf said:

The only issue with that logic is that Costantini has been 4th line or extra skater most of the season, while Hain has been getting 1st/2nd line minutes plus PP time.

He was given top-six minutes at the beginning of the season and didn't produce. If you go back and look at the line sheet he had his chance. 

32 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I think he would for sure. Look at the points he put up last year. Impressive rookie season .