SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

To win you only want guys who want the NHL, no one else need apply. They will play for whoever provides the path. Tuscaloosa’s population is 101,000, their players aren’t from Alabama, but they own NCAA FB; that’s exactly what GF can and should be. 

The school, town, fans, alumni, boosters, businesses, AD, and every staff person have to be all-in, coordinated, and laser focused on championships. Then we can talk about the coach. The AD is the CEO of all that 

Winning takes resources and lord knows there are UND boosters and fans with resources available to an AD who cultivates them and uses them wisely  

Our AD cashes the checks but he’s shown no vision, no passion, no ability to lead, and frankly no clue. He is NOT the man for this program. He’d serve better somewhere focusing on the wine and cheese sports 

We need a HC who knows what needs done, and is given the power and resources to do it. Maybe it’s BB, maybe not. Putting together and running that machine isn’t for everyone. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, CarpeRemote said:

To win you only want guys who want the NHL, no one else need apply. They will play for whoever provides the path. Tuscaloosa’s population is 101,000, their players aren’t from Alabama, but they own NCAA FB; that’s exactly what GF can and should be. 

There was a time after Gene Stallings left in disgrace in the mid 1990’s until the current coach took over that Alabama was a disaster.  UND would be wise to avoid that situation.  We don’t need a repeat of the 1988-1994 decline.  

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 9:02 PM, Goon said:

The same playing style that won back-to-back-to-back Penrose Cups. Now, can one make the argument that winning said cups emptied the tank?  Maybe. 

It’s not like we ran away with those Cups. We won them with balance as well. Defensively we went off the deep end this year. I may be wrong, but discipline has also been an ever growing issue under Berry.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

It’s not like we ran away with those Cups. We won them with balance as well. Defensively we went off the deep end this year. I may be wrong, but discipline has also been an ever growing issue under Berry.

Why? Is Berry afraid to hurt some feelings, players won’t be his friends, come on man your job is to put the best possible team on the ice and if players get upset because they get called out for selfish plays then so be it, according to his culture the program is bigger then any player. Blais sat Blake in Denver for not giving 100 Friday , Matt green was told he was to go straight to the locker room in Mankato if he took another penality, the refs had to bring him out to serve his time then Blais sent him to the showers. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

This might be one of the dumber things I've read in a while.

The overwhelming lack of general perspective from our fanbase on the college hockey landscape blows me away. Especially from some people on here who I'd consider at least relatively knowledgeable. @fightingsioux4life, this is honestly not directed at you as I think you are knowledgeable, but that comment lacks perspective. It's crazy to think we couldn't do worse than Bubbs. It's absolutely crazy. I honestly don't think you even believe that.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, tnt said:

One has to wonder why you are here then.  Complain about it, but stay. We do live in a free country, do we not?

you are correct, but family dictates that staying here for the time being is what needs to be done.  dont get me wrong, i am gone as soon as it becomes feesable.  the town is dying...i wish it wasnt, but it is.

34 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The overwhelming lack of general perspective from our fanbase on the college hockey landscape blows me away. Especially from some people on here who I'd consider at least relatively knowledgeable. @fightingsioux4life, this is honestly not directed at you as I think you are knowledgeable, but that comment lacks perspective. It's crazy to think we couldn't do worse than Bubbs. It's absolutely crazy. I honestly don't think you even believe that.

So your 100% happy with the performance of this team , lack of discipline , poor effort, poor condiitioning (or it seems st times) and not really addressing major issues with this team. It’s like the emperors new clothes every things good , we won three league titles etc etc. this reminds me of Gino’s last years and it took awhile to work out of that hole. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

So your 100% happy with the performance of this team , lack of discipline , poor effort, poor condiitioning (or it seems st times) and not really addressing major issues with this team. It’s like the emperors new clothes every things good , we won three league titles etc etc. this reminds me of Gino’s last years and it took awhile to work out of that hole. 

Not what I said at all. The comment was that we can't do worse than Bubbs and that is unequivocally untrue.  

18 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

True statement but also true with all of our advantages we should be doing better , missing the NCAA tourney as much as he has is not where this program should be , top 15 every year should be the bare minimum. The AD should have minimum standards/ goals or they have a difficult conversation. 

Definitely not arguing that. Making the tournament, 100%, should be the minimum standard each season. Next goals that have to be consistently attainable is to compete for a league title and to make a real run at a National Championship. I'm not convinced we've reached the time we should be considering a coaching change, especially without an idea of who we would get, what it would do for our pipeline, current players, etc. I don't know what the limit is. My biggest concern, flatly, is parity. Some big time options are getting players we really want. We've been in on nearly all big time recruits over the past two years, but we haven't landed the truly top players, with a couple exceptions. I want to know why these kids are choosing other options and what we can do about it. My thoughts are likely NIL in part, but I have no idea what that entails, honestly, or how to fix it.

Another thing I hope (and I think we are) we are focusing on is identification of top tier transfers, especially in the short term. Land guys who we get more than one season out of. Identify our immediate needs, but also plan a broader need. Our gets from the portal have been hit or miss, IMO.

Agree on the portal we need to use it wisely but not at the expense of recruiting. Freshman need to play over portal players cause the will be the backbone of the team not one and done, you recruit these players for a reason , coach them so they develop. One example Farmers give away for the first goal on Friday , if that was Johnson he would have been benched the rest of the night but Farmer skated a regular shift all night and didn’t okay well at all in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Agree on the portal we need to use it wisely but not at the expense of recruiting. Freshman need to play over portal players cause the will be the backbone of the team not one and done, you recruit these players for a reason , coach them so they develop. 

If the portal player is more experienced and/or better, I absolutely do not agree recruited players should be playing over portal players. The staff is clearly still believes in this team and is making their decision on who should be playing to win a game, right or wrong in our opinion, each and every night. Our favorite punching bags in terms of development - I'm thinking Costantini, Johnson, and a couple others -- have had their shot. They need to perform in those spots if they want more ice time.

It's an easy opinion to understand, in hindsight of how this season has gone, that we could have not welcomed Hain/Sendo, etc. back in lieu of spot for a guy like Spicer for the idea of future development. With that said, this staff was all in on this season and Spicer would have likely been in a suit A LOT this year and the Hain/Sendo decision was clearly made with the "win now" idea. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It was a shot at Chaves, who has shown he is nothing more than an empty suit.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It was a shot at Chaves, who has shown he is nothing more than an empty suit.

Yep. I saw your reply. My bad, my man. 

I'll be honest, I have no insight whatsoever on what it takes to be a solid AD, so I'm certainly fine with options if there a better ones out there. I thought he handled the "NODAK" controversy in a really odd manner and frankly, that's all I really know about him. That felt like a passive, top-down led decision of immediately quashing it and doing the best to make it a non story.

Question for you .... what would a new AD do for you in terms of bringing UND hockey back immediately from this wild season? I'm honestly trying to figure out what people want because from my perspective, I don't see a massive worry. I like our pipeline a lot and I haven't seen a large trend of poor coaching. It's easy to cherry pick this season because of the dumpster fire it's been, but are we TRULY that far off? Talent wise, I don't think so, and that includes the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1