SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

12 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I live 20 minutes away from the ASU campus. 
The weather in summer here is equally as horrendous as the weather in winter in GF.  Just on the complete opposite end of the spectrum.

Been there when it's been 115 and I'm not gonna lie, never sweat more in my life on a golf course.

I'd still take it over GF winter honestly.  60 below wind chill just never grows on a person. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Been there when it's been 115 and I'm not gonna lie, never sweat more in my life on a golf course.

I'd still take it over GF winter honestly.  60 below wind chill just never grows on a person. 

The first few years I lived here, I thought the same.  Now the summers seem to drag on for so long and the triple digit temps every day just drain you.
I've already told my wife that we're gonna retire somewhere with actual seasons again.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, brianvf said:

The first few years I lived here, I thought the same.  Now the summers seem to drag on for so long and the triple digit temps every day just drain you.
I've already told my wife that we're gonna retire somewhere with actual seasons again.

I ask my wife once a month if can move to Texas. She’s says no every time. 

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If I'm cold I can add a layer (or even light my back hair on fire) to stay warm.
There are only so many layers one can take off to cool off. 

And there are fewer adventurous creatures looking to kill you around here, no scorpions or rattlesnakes. I would've said coyotes also, but that's a toss-up lately. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I think so, but I do think it's debatable. Minnesota, Michigan, Boston U, Boston College. Those schools are clearly at a higher level. I would put UND with Denver (Wisconsin?) on the next level.

Denver (and Duluth) have won two NCAA titles since we last won it all. Pretty good "next level down", don't you think?

1 hour ago, Goon said:

One thing to remember, while UND has the best facilities in all of college hockey, destination is still a concern for some recruits. Not everyone is going want to live in Grand Forks or in this climate. Not dissing Grand Forks, but the weather is absolutely horrendous. 

Are we really going to use the climate excuse for hockey?

Schools like UM-Twin Cities and UM-Duluth are not in "tropical climates" either, but that doesn't stop them from recruiting and winning.

I hate the whole "our climate is bad" in the MBB threads and it makes even less sense for hockey.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, tnt said:

For real, they would bring in two portal goalies?  How does Duluth get Gajan, and we are sitting here possibly needing to be bringing in two portals?  Doing that would be admitting total whiff on recruiting.  Would think Karl would be having a lot of input on goaltending recruiting and developing them, so how did we get to this place?

That is the Million Dollar Question.  I would have bet all I had that we would never have the worst goaltending in the country.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Irish said:

That is the Million Dollar Question.  I would have bet all I had that we would never have the worst goaltending in the country.

We don’t play quick or fast enough, how many times did a Denver player break up a play by skating us down , Gaber was caught a few times , maybe it’s Berry style holding them back ? Berry may need to evolve if he wants to keep employed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

We don’t play quick or fast enough, how many times did a Denver player break up a play by skating us down , Gaber was caught a few times , maybe it’s Berry style holding them back ? Berry may need to evolve if he wants to keep employed. 

Berry instructs the players to skate at 85-90% speed as part of his style?  ;) 

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Berry instructs the players to skate at 85-90% speed as part of his style?  ;) 

Probably not, but they all seem to have to receive a puck, dust it a couple times, then look up and decide where to go with it. Teams like DU and WMU are making three touch passes in the same time because they know where they are going with the puck before it ever gets to them. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Goon said:

One thing to remember, while UND has the best facilities in all of college hockey, destination is still a concern for some recruits. Not everyone is going want to live in Grand Forks or in this climate. Not dissing Grand Forks, but the weather is absolutely horrendous. 

It's not the climate as much as Berry's playing style - Denver let's them play, we seem to stifle scorers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I’m sorry, but Boston College?  

I thought the same thing, they’ve been iffy if not bad the last two years. But they have really nice freshman class and they’re bringing in some super high end talent next season and better the year after I believe. I have them bouncing back pretty significantly next year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Are we really going to use the climate excuse for hockey?

Schools like UM-Twin Cities and UM-Duluth are not in "tropical climates" either, but that doesn't stop them from recruiting and winning.

I hate the whole "our climate is bad" in the MBB threads and it makes even less sense for hockey.

well, to be honest, the climate is better in the twin cities, and they have more interesting things to do...Duluth is a similar climate, but the number of things to do there in infinetly better than Grand Forks.  yes, being in Grand Forks is starting to hinder recruting.  i think the ag college down south is starting to feel the effects of living in the red river valley as well....it just isnt great here...and i have lived here my whole life, but i wont be retiring here

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

BC next season 6 NTDP coming in

UND next season 0 NTDP coming in. 

This really illustrates how far our recruiting has dropped off - I knew it was down but come on - we need to get our program back on track.  Berry and Co. need to figure it out right soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Siouxfancrazy92 said:

BC next season 6 NTDP coming in

UND next season 0 NTDP coming in. 

And they have the right ones coming in too.
Their entire top line of Perreault, Smith, and Leonard plus Vote and dmen Minnetian and Fortescue.
They cleaned up from that U18 team.