SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, Farawayfan said:
  • Grand Canyon University Logo
    Nov 25 (Fri) 3:30 PM

Phoenix, Ariz.
    TV: ESPN+ Radio: Home of Economy Radio Network

GCU picked to finish 3rd in the WAC's pre season polls. 
    They cause a lot of turnovers. 
    What's everyone's predictions?

I want to see them get a win here and build off of it.  They should have gotten two wins out in Montana, especially against the Lady Griz.

Not only is old friend Olivia Lane play for GCU, former WIU forward Evan Zars plays for them as well. 

Every time we get sped up like this in games like this we start throwing ball away and getting ton of turnovers. It’s good to see the three freshmen getting more playing time even though they are making  mistakes but it something to learn from and to be used for teaching in practices. They are ones making push here at the end to close the gap some.  This team needs a win and they need to  learn offensive  pace to play at they can win with when they speed up defense they have to remember they have to work their offense. I just thought we would be making it next level for this year and here we are again fighting to get to where we were last year. I just hope we have light go off we make the jump. I don’t know but it feels like program is stuck in this continuous loop of progressing so far and we can’ t break through to next level. I sometimes instead making wholesale changes in coaching personnel they just need somebody from outside to help coaching staff identify things that are hampering them from moving ahead could and with a few changes the direction the program could start moving forward. I just feel it not large changes but small changes that make a difference in teams performance  but when your so involved with program coaches don’t even realize that they are missing these changes or their thought process doesn’t even go there. I think this where the AD’s could help  with establishing this in their job performance reviews of coaches because even if coach doesn’t make changes it at least make them to think outside the box. I may be totally wrong on this but even in my business we higher different consultants that review what we do looking to improve the business and I wonder why it doesn’t more at this level sports.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Is the AD supposed to fill the role of consultant to coaches?

In what role? 

About day to day operations? Absolutely not. 

Input on staff hires? Minimal at best, short of clearing them. 

Keep your hands clean, otherwise you make it an issue when there are issues. 

16 hours ago, ND-fan said:

Every time we get sped up like this in games like this we start throwing ball away and getting ton of turnovers. It’s good to see the three freshmen getting more playing time even though they are making  mistakes but it something to learn from and to be used for teaching in practices. They are ones making push here at the end to close the gap some.  This team needs a win and they need to  learn offensive  pace to play at they can win with when they speed up defense they have to remember they have to work their offense. I just thought we would be making it next level for this year and here we are again fighting to get to where we were last year. I just hope we have light go off we make the jump. I don’t know but it feels like program is stuck in this continuous loop of progressing so far and we can’ t break through to next level. I sometimes instead making wholesale changes in coaching personnel they just need somebody from outside to help coaching staff identify things that are hampering them from moving ahead could and with a few changes the direction the program could start moving forward. I just feel it not large changes but small changes that make a difference in teams performance  but when your so involved with program coaches don’t even realize that they are missing these changes or their thought process doesn’t even go there. I think this where the AD’s could help  with establishing this in their job performance reviews of coaches because even if coach doesn’t make changes it at least make them to think outside the box. I may be totally wrong on this but even in my business we higher different consultants that review what we do looking to improve the business and I wonder why it doesn’t more at this level sports.

That's really hard to read.

Are you saying that if they do the same thing over and over and expect different results they are going to be disappointed?

Yes, but what I see us doing and hearing our head coaches keep saying is we do it UND way that was fine when in the past we had all success year in year out. But that has happened for quite a while here and our talent we recruited seems to reach plateau and doesn’t to progress. My experience in my business if your not progressing you look at your competitors see what they are doing and if you need to change approaches to improve what you are doing. That is why we higher consultants to help us evaluate what we’re doing to get better. What I see with South Dakota State  they play there freshman in pre-conference season and by the end of the season they have team that is deep and in position to win conference and also compete in the conference tournament to win it. I also wonder if this has effect on getting top talent because they know if play hard want to learn to play in their system they will get playing time. Here we play experience players and by end of the year they are worn down or injured so we come into end of year struggling and players are frustrated because everyone has figured what we do and it gets difficult to come by wins. Yesterday coach Motherwell did play our talented freshman more which I was happy to see. The problem is we are near half way through pre-conference season our freshmen have only played a few minutes so we’re behind on development of them. Yes we have couple good wins but they will mean nothing in the end if we’re not ready to compete for the conference. I guess I have rambled too much here again but this some my thought process on where we are. Bottom line is I just wish there was some more review of sports it’s not women’s basketball but all the sports because only correction we have is firing coach or if it has happened number of times then AD and the coaches. This what I find kind of funny we have institutions teaching people how to learn to compete in their future careers and then when comes to athletic programs they don’t follow what they teaching in education programs.

1 hour ago, ND-fan said:

Yes, but what I see us doing and hearing our head coaches keep saying is we do it UND way that was fine when in the past we had all success year in year out. But that has happened for quite a while here and our talent we recruited seems to reach plateau and doesn’t to progress. My experience in my business if your not progressing you look at your competitors see what they are doing and if you need to change approaches to improve what you are doing. That is why we higher consultants to help us evaluate what we’re doing to get better. What I see with South Dakota State  they play there freshman in pre-conference season and by the end of the season they have team that is deep and in position to win conference and also compete in the conference tournament to win it. I also wonder if this has effect on getting top talent because they know if play hard want to learn to play in their system they will get playing time. Here we play experience players and by end of the year they are worn down or injured so we come into end of year struggling and players are frustrated because everyone has figured what we do and it gets difficult to come by wins. Yesterday coach Motherwell did play our talented freshman more which I was happy to see. The problem is we are near half way through pre-conference season our freshmen have only played a few minutes so we’re behind on development of them. Yes we have couple good wins but they will mean nothing in the end if we’re not ready to compete for the conference. I guess I have rambled too much here again but this some my thought process on where we are. Bottom line is I just wish there was some more review of sports it’s not women’s basketball but all the sports because only correction we have is firing coach or if it has happened number of times then AD and the coaches. This what I find kind of funny we have institutions teaching people how to learn to compete in their future careers and then when comes to athletic programs they don’t follow what they teaching in education programs.

If your posts are from a computer and incorporate cut and paste, I get it.
If you do all this without paste on a phone, are you a female fan?

22 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Manhattan had a link on their schedule.  Our staff is too busy with home and home Beaver puck

From what I understand, our communications staff is down to 2 people in that role as the person who was the WBB communications rep left right before the WBB season started.  I saw the job posted, I’m not sure… it may have closed. Now you have 2 people with an FCS playoff game to handle, yes they do have hockey, but they had VB on Thursday and home MBB this weekend, and an event today even though it doesn’t involve any of our teams.  I’m sure it’s not been an easy weekend for those two.  I guess I’m just too understanding, I’ll at least cut them some slack. 

I watched this game we started playing the very familiar style of game we have played for years and on top of that we were shooting very poorly. Then we struggled for next two quarters but things were different we started playing our younger players more minutes and they had much larger roles when they were playing. Also they started playing a more pressuring defense against much larger team and by coach Motherwell urging of players they started to force Manhattan to go left in running their offense which seemed to turn game around . The young players seemed to fit better in this different style of game and we learned how to win a game ugly something I haven’t seen us do ever. This was first game where Hurst and Beal played minutes in teens for the game. Also Vanderwall played few minutes but type of game and who she had to play didn’t fit to abilities she has now but I think it was still learning experience for her. But getting back to Hurst and Beal we saw flashes what they can become and with Borowicz leading this team and rest team filling in different roles this team may develop into better team. Having Bernhard missing for few games might be learning experience for the program by doing some things differently.

1 hour ago, dmksioux said:

I noticed Coach Mal wasn't on the bench during the Manhattan game.  I did not see the other games in AZ.  Is it safe to assume she had her baby?  Anyone know how long she will be out?

I assume she did, either that or she stole that baby, lol.

I would think she would be out at least a couple weeks before returning to the bench. Got a little bit of time before conference games kick off.

14 minutes ago, ChesterFritz90 said:

I assume she did, either that or she stole that baby, lol.

I would think she would be out at least a couple weeks before returning to the bench. Got a little bit of time before conference games kick off.

Well, in that case, congrats to the Bernhard family!

• Upvote 1