SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-2023 Season

SWSiouxMN

Tonight’s game other than bench getting some playing time  not very much to be gained with this competition.  I wish when bring in freshmen they play with other starting players I think they would learn more.  There next game  will be better test I see they beat NDSU by double digits. 

1 minute ago, ND-fan said:

Tonight’s game other than bench getting some playing time  not very much to be gained with this competition.  I wish when bring in freshmen they play with other starting players I think they would learn more.  There next game  will be better test I see they beat NDSU by double digits. 

why not just schedule bemidji state?

Kacie had her best game of the season. But scoring was actually pretty spread out. 

Kacie got 12 of her 34 from the line, and most of those came before the game started on a technical when EMU didn’t get their lineup card turned into the scorers table on time and late in the 4Q when EMU was in foul mode. 

Orth chipped in with  16

Oz had 10

Hoskin 7

Hurst 6

Daninger 4

Vanderwal 2

• Upvote 2

If you have been the leading scorer in every game so far you're carrying the team. 

.....and essentially because of that when she isn't on or having a big game like today this team will struggle to get a W.

That's why IMO she is one of the most valuable players in the conference.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

If you have been the leading scorer in every game so far you're carrying the team. 

.....and essentially because of that when she isn't on or having a big game like today this team will struggle to get a W.

That's why IMO she is one of the most valuable players in the conference.

Absolutely! She is terrific, and quite the disher.     

Yes she is and I hope her body can hold up with amount of minutes she has to play each game. Dan inter is quite important as well with her rebounding defense to the team. I was hoping we would have developed our freshmen more but again we going with basically go with iron 5  with minimal rest with top 8. This has been our pattern now for at least 8 years it worked in the division II era but now in division I era this is not winning forumula. You need team of at least 8 players that are interchangeable and stars like Borowicz play significant minutes but are protected for the long haul. Only when your at end of the season you go to iron 5 mentality and even then only when necessary. I think that what coach Johnson has learned atSDSU when they have lost Selland over her career they have added talent on roster giving younger additional playing time to attract that talent and also playing on team that will be mix for post season play. This is my opinion and I am sure there other opinions but to me were relying on several key players to play whole season and stay healthy and productive to win not high percentage way to be the odds. So whole season can basically can collapse on one play in any game and then we’re giving playing time to one of the younger players in hopes of keeping season alive. 

To help support my argument here is SDSU last game minutes against Northern Iowa.

GS.           MINN

*.                 34                                                                                                                                            
                    *.                 28       
                    *.                23

Selland having the 34 minutes and then if you look at Northern Iowa also power in mid major women’s basketball their top minute person played 32 minutes. I just feel UND needs to get to this level where they are able recruit and retain 8 to 9 women of high ability that can play significant minutes with out to large drop off in performance. I just thought with this class of freshmen where we did recruit some four star recruits we start to see change in our philosophy. I haven’t seen this yet from Mallory and this has disappointed this year. 

From What I have seen of our "4 star" recruits so far has not been impressive.  In fact I wonder if they actually were 4 star recruits because if they are considered 4 stars I would hate to see the 2 stars.   Hurst is a very talented offensive player but complete liability on the defensive end.  Mostly looks uninterested in playing defense and fouls way to much because she cant move with her player.  When she is out there on offense looks like she is a one person show and in my opinion is taking away from KB because she doesnt look to pass at all.  

I guess I don’t know how good are recruits are and if your basing it off their playing time that would be pretty small sample size     
Because they have played limited minutes and we’re asked to play certain roll out there when they did play. Go back and look at Borowicz first two years nobody thought she was the player she has become now but did she have ability show that talent. UND limits their freshmen recruits so much it’s like back in early 70’s when college recruits didn’t play as freshmen but played jv team. it’s not quite that bad but it’s closer to that than what other schools do with their freshmen. Bernhard also said other day they are playing Borowicz out position and my observation of the team were playing most of starters out of position and I blame this on recruiting. They don’t seem to have master plan on what their needs are to fill out a roster. Where most teams are recruiting length and size we  have been short on either signing freshmen recruits or bringing in transfers to fill that role this past year. This past year we lost Lane a player of that type and last night withGCU she had terrific night scoring 19+ points against Montana. I saw more offense from her than her years here with UND and I was thinking if we had her when we played Montana we probably would have had W. But getting back to our recruits I don’t know what we have because playing time, making them fill certain role for the team for our experienced players, and again asking players to play out of position,and finally I don’t think they have been put in position where they can show their talent and let them gain confidence to play at this level. I just feel UND has wasted talent of number of good young players with this philosophy that it takes several years to develop this talent. What I am afraid is going to happen with transfer portal other schools are going to be calling  and taking away this talent  and we’re left with starting all over again to develop this talent.