SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 Game Day - NDSU vs UND at Alerus Center

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

48 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

If a QB doesn’t “have a very short memory” he will struggle. Schuster won’t win games for us but he hadn’t been losing games. The 4th down call was long past and we are moving the ball deep in their territory. Everything in the minds of players needs to be do their assignment and get the first down. No excuses. 

Agreed. Tommy thought he could ad lib if the receiver would have been on the same page. Unfortunately he didn’t see the safety.   I just can’t put that kind of mistake on the same level as the brain fart of going for it on 4th down. 

5 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Agreed. Tommy thought he could ad lib if the receiver would have been on the same page. Unfortunately he didn’t see the safety.   I just can’t put that kind of mistake on the same level as the brain fart of going for it on 4th down. 

Bubba always preaches live for another play and don’t make a mistake

he should have taken his own advise on that 4th down 

too much gadget bs plays with these coaches 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yeah of all the times to go for it today and he picks that one……. Come on man!

couple years ago before the dementia kicked in bubba punted down 3 scores with about 6 minutes left in a playoff game against a team that had 250 yards rushing at that point but a couple years later at your own 20with the lead you go for it on 4th down....wtf

22 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

We lost a college football game to a team that attempted 10 passes…something doesn’t feel right about that. And he only completed 4 of them 

Three of them were to number 87. 

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

couple years ago before the dementia kicked in bubba punted down 3 scores with about 6 minutes left in a playoff game against a team that had 250 yards rushing at that point but a couple years later at your own 20with the lead you go for it on 4th down....wtf

Sums up Bubba in a nutshell.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

Gawd NDSU fans are losers on BV.  Go read the post-game thread. Just pathetic embarrassing comments.  So juvenile, they are obsessed with UND, it just took the game being renewed to come out.

That thread is hilarious.  

9 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wat? We looked to the sideline and quick clapped the snap. It was a trick.

Our receiver (Belquist) was 10 yards down field before any Bison moved.

Immediately I looked for the flags for false start.

2 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Honestly I have to admit....watching it on TV....I saw that guy open...and for a split second I said to myself...."dump it do that guy".....but he air mailed it a little high and yeah the safety was right behind him.  When I watched it again he didn't look very open but when the play happened in real time I thought for a second he could dump it to that guy. 

However when they went into the fake punt mode......I'm like No No No....don't snap it.  I'm quite sure NDSU saw the tape of the JMU game where we did this exact same thing, we weren't fooling anyone on that.  

• Upvote 2

In a close game against a good team, it can often come down to a couple plays. In our case, it was 3 plays. The two fourth down plays we didn’t convert and the pick. Unfortunate none of those plays went our way. That being said, even after all those plays, we still had a chance to force them to punt and get the ball back and go kick a game winning FG. Those plays will stick out, but they overshadow how good this team played in Saturday. Especially defensively. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In a close game against a good team, it can often come down to a couple plays. In our case, it was 3 plays. The two fourth down plays we didn’t convert and the pick. Unfortunate none of those plays went our way. That being said, even after all those plays, we still had a chance to force them to punt and get the ball back and go kick a game winning FG. Those plays will stick out, but they overshadow how good this team played in Saturday. Especially defensively. 

One more-their muffed punt return where it looked like 3 of our guys could have had it.

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Similarly, it reminded me of one of our FBS games, was it against Utah three or four years ago?  We were down a couple scores in the fourth quarter, but Bubba just kept punting like it was going out of style. In a game like that, nothing to lose as the FCS underdog, but nope, we better keep punting and play the field position game until we run out of time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Similarly, it reminded me of one of our FBS games, was it against Utah three or four years ago?  We were down a couple scores in the fourth quarter, but Bubba just kept punting like it was going out of style. In a game like that, nothing to lose as the FCS underdog, but nope, we better keep punting and play the field position game until we run out of time. 

I've been told a punt is a good play.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Irish said:

I admit to being frustrated with Bubba - and I think our horrible 4th down play affected the outcome - not only a poor idea but very poorly executed - we gave the Bison time to stack the line and then went ahead.  We could have called time out when we saw how it developed.  Yes, Bubba deserves the criticism.  In looking at his body of work on 4th downs, it's almost he thinks what the logical thing to do is and then does the opposite.  Coaches need to put the team in a position to win.  The offense was not sharp and a lot had to do with poor discipline - we were offsides on our first play.  This is part on the players but also part on the coaches.  We had a golden opportunity to shut up the Bison and didn't cash in.  

your post about the opposite reminded me of George.  maybe Bubba needs to watch this clip the night before games, and remember it on fourth down situations. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

We don't have a #1 Wr on the team.  I thought we did but Maag has some serious issues.  Physically, 4 years in college FB and he hasn't figured out how to stay healthy.  Mentally, softer than a Puddy tat.

QV2.  I think staffs across the country are scared sh_tless of the transfer portal and players needing instant gratification.  As brilliantly articulated above, QV2 can't power thru an arm tackle and has never moved a pile.  I understand what the staff wants him to be, but that's not the type of player he is.

I feel Danny's many dilemmas facing NDSU's D.  If we had a #1 WR we probably could have taken a few chances on 1 V 1 match ups.  Or, if the O-line could provide another second of protection plays could have developed.  

The SU D was long, athletic, and disciplined.  That's a tough game to call with UNDs personnel.

This^

Let's take a shot down field!!  Get those CB's off their toes every route. 

With who???

Okay, run three times and punt. 

38 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

We don't have a #1 Wr on the team.  I thought we did but Maag has some serious issues.  Physically, 4 years in college FB and he hasn't figured out how to stay healthy.  Mentally, softer than a Puddy tat.

QV2.  I think staffs across the country are scared sh_tless of the transfer portal and players needing instant gratification.  As brilliantly articulated above, QV2 can't power thru an arm tackle and has never moved a pile.  I understand what the staff wants him to be, but that's not the type of player he is.

I feel Danny's many dilemmas facing NDSU's D.  If we had a #1 WR we probably could have taken a few chances on 1 V 1 match ups.  Or, if the O-line could provide another second of protection plays could have developed.  

The SU D was long, athletic, and disciplined.  That's a tough game to call with UNDs personnel.

Need our boy Clive Georges

• Downvote 1