SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-22 FB Attendance

BarnWinterSportsEngelstad

I think the UND athletic department and really administrators across the country really need to find a way to keep fans coming to games.  In the era of Covid, people have gotten used to staying home and watching games, and guess what it isn’t half bad.  If the game isn’t going well, you can flip the channel to another game.  You don’t have to leave your house an hour before the game and get home 45 minutes after the game.  You don’t have to walk several blocks in 30 below wind chill. Digital ticketing is nice in ways, but since Covid, if you can’t make it to some games it is harder than ever to sell your tickets, and in the case of hockey impossible to sell last second at the arena because nobody comes anymore without digital tickets already secured.  Attending a game in person will always be preferable, but people have become more accustomed to being at home and skipping some of the headaches of attending.  I think the Athletic Department needs to be proactive in making it easier and more fun to be at the game in person.  You snooze, you lose.  Look at what happened at Minnesota in hockey.  In North Dakota, start by creating more parking spaces close to the arena so everybody that isn’t in one of the major champions club doesn’t have to walk a mile in brutal weather.  Get creative, and please do so before we have embarrassing showings game in and game out.  Poor atmosphere only brings down the need and want to be there in person even more.  When you don’t have atmosphere in North Dakota, how do you attract recruits - the weather?

9 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Instead of taking up a portion of the walkway on the end zones, and being separated by a measly curtain, I think it'd be a lot nicer and probably a lot more profitable to do something that a lot of NFL stadiums are doing now, which is putting suites on the turf level. It keeps the railings clear for SRO, and there would be that air of exclusivity to be on the field that I think people who'd be willing to pay for the Peterson Porch are shooting for. Call it the Peterson Patio if they still want naming rights

image.png.d94ac9460d011f32010a1060f5fcdff9.png

19 hours ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

Instead of taking up a portion of the walkway on the end zones, and being separated by a measly curtain, I think it'd be a lot nicer and probably a lot more profitable to do something that a lot of NFL stadiums are doing now, which is putting suites on the turf level. It keeps the railings clear for SRO, and there would be that air of exclusivity to be on the field that I think people who'd be willing to pay for the Peterson Porch are shooting for. Call it the Peterson Patio if they still want naming rights

They tried this a few years ago and it basically flopped due to poor sightlines. It was on the home side around the 10 yard line.
While the end zone would be a better option, I'm not sure if there is enough room to safely put something there.

12 hours ago, tnt said:

In North Dakota, start by creating more parking spaces close to the arena so everybody that isn’t in one of the major champions club doesn’t have to walk a mile in brutal weather.

You can't really "create" additional close parking, especially near the REA or Alerus.
And moving out your best donors that donate thousands or tens of thousands doesn't seem like a winning strategy either.

For hockey, Coaches Club ($1,500) and above gets you parking very near the REA
For football, Varsity Club ($500) and above gets you parking near the Alerus

Neither of those levels are what I would call "major" donors.

27 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They tried this a few years ago and it basically flopped due to poor sightlines. It was on the home side around the 10 yard line.
While the end zone would be a better option, I'm not sure if there is enough room to safely put something there.

You can't really "create" additional close parking, especially near the REA or Alerus.
And moving out your best donors that donate thousands or tens of thousands doesn't seem like a winning strategy either.

Heck, at the Alerus $10 on gameday gets you close parking.  They don't stop anyone from parking in the club sections.

27 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Parking Ramp.

16 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Parking Ramp.

I could think of better ways to light money on fire.
Anyone remember the cost to build the current ramp on the corner of University and Columbia? I think that has a capacity of around 750 vehicles and it wasn't cheap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

So you can't dig down a level and make a two-tier parking ramp without obstructing the view of the arena?   Yes it would cost a ton of money, but if they want to be considered a World Class facility, parking half a mile down side streets doesn't say that to me. How often do the current lots fill up with club members?   For the first time since the Gasparini days I am looking at giving up our season tickets and just purchase tickets online as the fancy dictates.   Based on the crowds lately, I would guess others may be thinking it would be cheaper to go that route as well.  Like I said, creative thinking to try and hold on to the season ticket fanbase in a new era.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

So you can't dig down a level and make a two-tier parking ramp without obstructing the view of the arena?   Yes it would cost a ton of money, but if they want to be considered a World Class facility, parking half a mile down side streets doesn't say that to me. How often do the current lots fill up with club members?   For the first time since the Gasparini days I am looking at giving up our season tickets and just purchase tickets online as the fancy dictates.   Based on the crowds lately, I would guess others may be thinking it would be cheaper to go that route as well.  Like I said, creative thinking to try and hold on to the season ticket fanbase in a new era.

Honestly no clue what it would cost but I have a hard time seeing them actually justifying it. I'd prefer they stick the money into a practice facility to compliment the Betty but that's just my opinion.

6 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I could think of better ways to light money on fire.
Anyone remember the cost to build the current ramp on the corner of University and Columbia? I think that has a capacity of around 750 vehicles and it wasn't cheap.

bus or walk.....no more empty ramps

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Parking ramps are a money pit with little redeeming qualities, especially in ND where we have plenty of space to build out

Ask Minot about their downtown ramp, cost over runs, bad workmanship 

the state fair does run rides from the different parking lots to the gate 

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Parking ramps are a money pit with little redeeming qualities, especially in ND where we have plenty of space to build out

I paid good money to park in it and I thought it was worth it!

plus it was built to save space on campus to allow for more parking, especially when we build that new partially enclosed stadium on campus!

2 minutes ago, Kab said:

Ask Minot about their downtown ramp, cost over runs, bad workmanship 

the state fair does run rides from the different parking lots to the gate 

Minot’s parking ramps are a completely different scenario. They were designed to have a building on top of them and not a jerry rigged roof. The city’s engineers failed to keep the corporation to hold up their side of the deal. Minot needed the parking space , but not horribly designed ramps!

UND’s ramp is much nicer and useful.