SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ James Madison Sunday May 2nd 5:00 PM Central Quarterfinals

SiouxFan100

Tough loss, but it was a fun Spring season. Lots of potential with these guys. O-Line has improved so much, now we just need to get bigger on the D-Line. I was a little disappointed in our secondary giving up a few of those long pass plays, without that maybe we have a chance.

I'll take JMU to win over SHSU, but I'm sure that will be a good game.

7 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Tell me how JMU does if they can’t throw the ball downfield?  Would have allowed us to bring another safety down in the box every play.

Who does UND have at WR for Tommy to throw to that remotely compares to Wells?

Answer....no one.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Tell me how JMU does if they can’t throw the ball downfield?  Would have allowed us to bring another safety down in the box every play.

They were able to throw downfield because of the qb or because of the WR being an absolute dude?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

How about getting Otis getting more than 13 touches. I know you're enamored with Q but Tommy isn't THE issue offensively as you have tried to point out........over and over and over.

I was confused in Otis use too.  13 carries the last 3 games.  Must have him on play count?

30 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

They were able to throw downfield because of the qb or because of the WR being an absolute dude?

Wells was far better than any of our receivers no doubt about that.  The long pass right before half was not to him .  Do you think tommy can make either of those 2 deep throws to wells?

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Wells was far better than any of our receivers no doubt about that.  The long pass right before half was not to him .  Do you think tommy Camouflage make either of those 2 deep throws to wells?

It's obvious to all that you don't think Schuster is the answer.  Who is?

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

It's obvious to all that you don't think Schuster is the answer.  Who is?

I would try Q and maybe Feeney when he arrives . Without having a qb able to get the ball downfield or being a threat to run, makes the offense very limited. Take out the first qtr vs MSU (a gadget play and double move) and the last 3 games Tommy has been average at best . If you don’t believe me look at the numbers.  
Take out the gadget plays yesterday and what are you left with at QB.   A guy who does not make many mistakes but who is unable to carry a team against like competition.  He rarely throws the ball further than 30 yards form where he throws it(horizontal and very).  I honestly can’t imagine Q can’t make most of those throws.  I’m not sure what Quincy can do with his arm, but I know his size and legs change the dynamic in the field.   If this team had JMU or SDSU qb  IMo it’s still playing.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tommy's YPA yesterday.....8.2

ARog, league MVP, last season YPA was 8.1.

Mahomes last season....7.9

11 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I would try Q and maybe Feeney when he arrives . Without having a qb able to get the ball downfield or being a threat to run, makes the offense very limited. Take out the first qtr vs MSU (a gadget play and double move) and the last 3 games Tommy has been average at best . If you don’t believe me look at the numbers.  
Take out the gadget plays yesterday and what are you left with at QB.   A guy who does not make many mistakes but who is unable to carry a team against like competition.  He rarely throws the ball further than 30 yards form where he throws it(horizontal and very).  I honestly can’t imagine Q can’t make most of those throws.  I’m not sure what Quincy can do with his arm, but I know his size and legs change the dynamic in the field.   If this team had JMU or SDSU qb  IMo it’s still playing.

Tommy vs. Mo. St......his YPA was 12.3

The whole team vs NDSU was underwhelming including Tommy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Are you just meaning to own an opposing defensive line?  I thought our O-line was outstanding this year.  Couple of games where it was harder for us to establish the run, but QB protection was phenomenal.

UND’s running game was not consistent against top defensive lines, particularly SDSU, NDSU, and JMU. They largely relied on Otis breaking a big run, but not consistent 4 ypc gains. As I said in my previous post, the offensive line was definitely better this year, but not yet at a championship level. The lack of sacks (which is a great stat) is as much a credit to the offensive line as it is to Tommy Schuster’s individual play and Danny Freund’s play-calling. UND’s offense this spring was heavily built on rollouts and quick passes to avoid sacks, which was fun to see. But when it comes to dominating the inside running game, still work to be done. 

My far bigger concern in terms of the lines is the defensive line. The linebacker depth and safeties also need to improve. As Bubba said, to build a better run defense, you need improvement from all 11 on defense. 

17 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Tommy vs. Mo. St......his YPA was 12.3

The whole team vs NDSU was underwhelming including Tommy.

Hit the first two throws, 50 yard double move and 48 yard gadget play.  After that he was very average and the offense was almost zilch after the first qtr.  do you really think 80% of D1 qbs can’t make a 35-40 yard throw to someone who is 8-15 yards open?  Half the guys on the team could have made the throw to Belquist.

yesterday it got to be very obvious JMU was jumping routes and we still wouldn’t take dee shots or even replay mid range throws(20 yards) til we had no choice. 
Watch the last three games or go through the stats and track the distance of the throws he attempts.  

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND’s running game was not consistent against top defensive lines, particularly SDSU, NDSU, and JMU. They largely relied on Otis breaking a big run, but not consistent 4 ypc gains. As I said in my previous post, the offensive line was definitely better this year, but not yet at a championship level. The lack of sacks (which is a great stat) is as much a credit to the offensive line as it is to Tommy Schuster’s individual play and Danny Freund’s play-calling. UND’s offense this spring was heavily built on rollouts and quick passes to avoid sacks, which was fun to see. But when it comes to dominating the inside running game, still work to be done. 

My far bigger concern in terms of the lines is the defensive line. The linebacker depth and safeties also need to improve. As Bubba said, to build a better run defense, you need improvement from all 11 on defense. 

UND averaged 4.7 ypc vs JMU, 4.5 ypc vs SDSU and over 5 vs NDSU.  

Yes they hit some big runs but that is pretty consistent.  

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Hit the first two throws, 50 yard double move and 48 yard gadget play.  After that he was very average and the offense was almost zilch after the first qtr.  do you really think 80% of D1 qbs can’t make a 35-40 yard throw to someone who is 8-15 yards open?  Half the guys on the team could have made the throw to Belquist.

So when you say "look at the numbers" those numbers are only relevant when it fits a narrative?

Hmmmmmmmm.......seems like we have been living with that "only if numbers fit the narrative" for 14 months but I digress.

51 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Wells was far better than any of our receivers no doubt about that.  The long pass right before half was not to him .  Do you think tommy can make either of those 2 deep throws to wells?

How much farther did those throws travel in the air than the two long TD passes last week?

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

That doesn’t answer the question I asked you.

About 10 yards further I think.  The arc and velocity was much different.  Did you see the PI pass in first qtr?  Just hung up in the wind . The deeper the throw the more Tommy has a tendency to throw it up like a blooper in  baseball.  Why do you think Danny never had Tommy try and take the top off the JMU defense?

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

About 10 yards further I think.  The arc and velocity was much different.  Did you see the PI pass in first qtr?  Just hung up in the wind . The deeper the throw the more Tommy has a tendency to throw it up like a blooper in  baseball.  Why do you think Danny never had Tommy try and take the top off the JMU defense?

Because we don't have a receiver who can beat teams over the top?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Because we don't have a receiver who can beat teams over the top?

Ok.  You win.  Tommy has a cannon and we don’t throw deep because of our receivers.  the late season offensive slump(sans1 qtr)had nothing to do with opposing teams figuring out the screen a Rama.
we will never have ol and dl good enough to win a natty with a qb who can’t/won’t run and can’t throw deep effectively.