SiouxSports.com Forum

Jerseys

sioux7>5

2 hours ago, FightingSU said:

that’s a good point, something to consider. Maybe we should trademark it. 

A simple search of the USPTO(.gov) office says someone already has ... and it's not explicitly UND. And the lists of items they use it on reads like what UND lists for where it uses its trademarks. Very interesting. 

https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4809:598odx.3.1  

EDIT: Stable link -> https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=90202844&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch 

PS - Can neither confirm nor deny this is footage of The Sicatoka celebrating the first time ever that he beat @nodak651on a public info search. :D 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

A simple search of the USPTO(.gov) office says someone already has ... and it's not explicitly UND. 

Need to do some research into who owns NODAK LLC, interesting...

the time frame is also interesting being it was only a little over a year ago...

What about NODAKS? Would that be to similar?

22 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

A few reasons Zags works:

1. Monosyllabic, fun, rolls easily off the tongue. 

2. Plural; singular sounding nicknames tend to suck, or at least be hard to modify for casual use. 

3. People (fans and media) actually use it. 

Nodak is more of a placeholder, something that desperately wants to be a fun alt-identity, but isn't. 

Try it with North Carolina. Everybody loves "Carolina" and the "Heels," but has anyone ever used "Nocar"? 

"Daks" would be closer, but still doesn't flow because people say "Duh-Kota" and not "Daa-kota." 

Great monikers happen, but cannot be forced. 

Plenty of announcers in the past have called us Nodak.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if REA cared they could create a black "nodak" uniform for each team...male and female...or just do hockey only...again.

That would be cool, I think part of doing it for hockey is that they know they will sell almost instantly.

1 minute ago, FightingSU said:

That would be cool, I think part of doing it for hockey is that they know they will sell almost instantly.

have 2 people from every sport we have unveil the new black "nodak" jerseys at the union one day and announce the series they will be wearing them....

but hockey.............

30 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

A few reasons Zags works:

1. Monosyllabic, fun, rolls easily off the tongue. 

2. Plural; singular sounding nicknames tend to suck, or at least be hard to modify for casual use. 

3. People (fans and media) actually use it. 

Nodak is more of a placeholder, something that desperately wants to be a fun alt-identity, but isn't. 

Try it with North Carolina. Everybody loves "Carolina" and the "Heels," but has anyone ever used "Nocar"? 

"Daks" would be closer, but still doesn't flow because people say "Duh-Kota" and not "Daa-kota." 

Great monikers happen, but cannot be forced. 

Just curious if UND is having problems selling out of other merchandise and having to restock despite a big price tag.   

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

A simple search of the USPTO(.gov) office says someone already has ... and it's not explicitly UND. 

I have numerous patents and have trademarked a product name under a name that existed in the past.  Trademarking a name like Nodak's would be pretty simple for the university, and it should be done.  Even if there is a business that uses the name, this is a unique and different use of the name and likely would not be challenged.  To those that are opposed to the use of Nodak as an alternative, please look at who the performance center is named after and how he wore a "NODAK" track uniform.  It has been used in the past and is a good alternate in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

A simple search of the USPTO(.gov) office says someone already has ... and it's not explicitly UND. And the lists of items they use it on reads like what UND lists for where it uses its trademarks. Very interesting. 

PS - Can neither confirm nor deny this is footage of The Sicatoka celebrating the first time ever that he beat @nodak651on a public info search. :D 

Pondering this more ... would UND so sly, devious, and cunning as to hire a firm to trademark the name quietly under an agreement to later transfer the ownership ... 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not close enoug for ya? 

Note where the Hawk is even ... 

These are better than the previous jerseys, and if we can start using the hockey NODAK jerseys more in the rotation, then there would be more uniformity in all programs.

16 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

I have numerous patents and have trademarked a product name under a name that existed in the past.  Trademarking a name like Nodak's would be pretty simple for the university, and it should be done.  Even if there is a business that uses the name, this is a unique and different use of the name and likely would not be challenged.  To those that are opposed to the use of Nodak as an alternative, please look at who the performance center is named after and how he wore a "NODAK" track uniform.  It has been used in the past and is a good alternate in my opinion.

It need be done.
I'm concerned about the "where used" list in the link because it reads just like collegiate licensing. That's not coincidence I suspect. 

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not close enoug for ya? 

Note where the Hawk is even ... 

no its not....if it said nodak on the front above the number and had some similar elements of the hockey sweaters....maybe...but a full coordinated effort for every sport for a calendar year...

6 minutes ago, Goon said:

I don't know about anyone else, but the NODAK Jerseys have been really nice. 

I really like the fact they added Ralph’s Quote inside the collar. 10/10. Hope it’s also on the replica I ordered that came out today. Think it will be? 

2 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

Hope im wrong, but the green here looks a lot different than the ones for sale on the sioux shop.

I noticed the same thing about the authentics vs replicas on the white jerseys. One of the reasons I passed on the replicas and am waiting for an authentic white. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, FightingSU said:

I really like the fact they added Ralph’s Quote inside the collar. 10/10. Hope it’s also on the replica I ordered that came out today. Think it will be? 

These are not replicas, I believe they are the same as the team will wear for this game.  They are not "alternates", but a single game wear, so they are not of the same weight as a normal sweater.  For single game sweaters in the past, they are a lighter weight and it keeps the cost down for the sweater although manufactured by the same company.  Those that have bought "single gamers" in the past can verify that this is correct.