SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

5 minutes ago, franchise said:

I choked on steak in Vegas this year and cheated death when a stranger gave me the heimlich.

I have not almost died from Corona.

Seems to me that a steak ban should be up for discussion.

Hopefully the Corona "epidemic" is as weak as that analogy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, franchise said:

My mom just went out to get toilet paper.  The walmart worker said they are out and don't know when they will get more.  She was told not to ask about gallons of water or hand sanitizer either.  On the way out, my mom sees a lady with a heaping cart of nothing but hand soap.

She goes to Target for toilet paper.  She gets told they are out of sanitzer and toilet paper.

She goes to Menards, finds toilet paper, but was warned that once they run out, no one knows when they can get more.

So dumb.

Menards has very reasonably priced poop paper if I say so myself. 

6 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

Hopefully the Corona "epidemic" is as weak as that analogy.

What do we call the flu season in this country? They are far from meeting the same definition/label.

But we do paint with broad brushes don't we?

2 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

image.png.2d4566dbc870f4bfeb0762a264447ee9.png

I wish that I looked that graceful.  Took like 3 or 4 people trying to break my ribs, before a retired cop stepped in and did it properly.  At least it wasn't in the middle of a packed buffet...that would have been embarrassing:whistling:

14 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just stupid!

3 corona cases in OH.......just THREE!

68K at OSU......11.7M people in OH.......and again 3 cases in the entire state of OH. Anyone want to give me odds more than 3 people in OH died from the flu this season?

Is this seriously where we are gonna go as a nation......it is getting absolutely ridiculous. 

The surgeon general came out yesterday and basically said if you are not an older and/or unhealthy individual but are a child or healthy young adult you have much better odds of mortality from the flu. The coronavirus is LESS severe in otherwise healthy patients under 60 than influenza. 20K+ dead....34M infected from the flu and those numbers are on the low end what the CDC is coming up with at this stage.

But I'm sure someone in the media will say the surgeon general's comments are racist because he's a black person or they are misogynistic because women have died from corona. 

Hysteria media driven crisis.....period.

Is this the same guy that said Trump is healthier than surgeon general is??? So you don't trust the media.  I don't trust this guy. (not saying I like what media is doing, but I never do which is why I don't watch it).

The fatality rate in the older age brackets is pretty sobering if accurate.  The influenza death rate for 65+ is .5 % per CDC.  This is around 10%.  The Italy death rate is very high, but who knows at this point if the denominator is anywhere close to being accurate.  I assume it isn't.

If the the same number of people contracted this as the estimated number that get the flu (35m),  it would not be good.

I guess there isn't a playbook on how to handle this sort of issue, and at what potential body count you draw the line to shut stuff down.  Seems silly to cancels these events, but if it saves 100 lives is it worth it?  10,000?  100,000?

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Because you said this is no big deal and we shouldn't be worried.  

Or did you mean to include a ;)?

No big deal? Never said that. Apocalyptic.....its not.

No I didn't......there is still travel  protocols in place even though I'll disagree with the MSNBC/CNN lemmings.

Chinese New Year was 2/12. If you left this country to go celebrate there you don't need to be brought back in until Maddow says you can. She's got a better gripe on this than the surgeon general right??? :silly: (there you go)

Right or wrong that's the narrative being floated around the UND student population.

48 minutes ago, franchise said:

I wish that I looked that graceful.  Took like 3 or 4 people trying to break my ribs, before a retired cop stepped in and did it properly.  At least it wasn't in the middle of a packed buffet...that would have been embarrassing:whistling:

Sorry, that was just the first thing that popped in my head. "If you're gonna eat steak, get some sharper teeth."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

No big deal? Never said that. Apocalyptic.....its not.

No I didn't......there is still travel  protocols in place even though I'll disagree with the MSNBC/CNN lemmings.

Chinese New Year was 2/12. If you left this country to go celebrate there you don't need to be brought back in until Maddow says you can. She's got a better gripe on this than the surgeon general right??? :silly: (there you go)

Right or wrong that's the narrative being floated around the UND student population.

Not apocalyptic? I think hindsight will define that better than where we're at now. Reports out of Italy don't sound great.

The rest of your post...I'm not even sure what narrative you're referring to in your last sentence. Presumably left-wing, media-driven spin to impact election results? It's tough to tell. Maddow's gripe is likely with the GOP but I bet she's listening to scientists and acting accordingly during this situation.

I would much rather overreact and take all reasonable measures to slow this down than assume it's just "the flu" (science says it's NOT by the way). The reason these events are cancelled is because we don't know the true number of cases out there, and to prevent the spread at this early stage is the best chance of keeping this outbreak manageable. See below graphic for a good illustration - we already blew it by not having test kits/testing protocol in place ASAP after the virus started being discovered outside of China. Our best bet now to keep things under control and not too impactful on our daily life is to lock it down and listen to the CDC/WHO.

Let's hope we don't get to the point where we're taking someone's grandparent off a ventilator so that someone with a higher likelihood of recovery can have it. The people of this country on both sides of the aisle aren't ready for that kind of reality - I know I'm sure not.

flatten-the-curve.thumb.jpg.9ae82703f978840438b230eef6ae1693.jpg

Excellent information here: flatten the curve

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Not apocalyptic? I think hindsight will define that better than where we're at now. Reports out of Italy don't sound great.

The rest of your post...I'm not even sure what narrative you're referring to in your last sentence. Presumably left-wing, media-driven spin to impact election results? It's tough to tell. Maddow's gripe is likely with the GOP but I bet she's listening to scientists and acting accordingly during this situation.

I would much rather overreact and take all reasonable measures to slow this down than assume it's just "the flu" (science says it's NOT by the way). The reason these events are cancelled is because we don't know the true number of cases out there, and to prevent the spread at this early stage is the best chance of keeping this outbreak manageable. See below graphic for a good illustration - we already blew it by not having test kits/testing protocol in place ASAP after the virus started being discovered outside of China. Our best bet now to keep things under control and not too impactful on our daily life is to lock it down and listen to the CDC/WHO.

Let's hope we don't get to the point where we're taking someone's grandparent off a ventilator so that someone with a higher likelihood of recovery can have it. The people of this country on both sides of the aisle aren't ready for that kind of reality - I know I'm sure not.

flatten-the-curve.thumb.jpg.9ae82703f978840438b230eef6ae1693.jpg

Excellent information here: flatten the curve

Assume it's just "the flu".......that's where I stopped reading. 

Science at this stage states it's not the flu. You get half credit there.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Release from UND:

On March 9, in close coordination with the Grand Forks and North Dakota Departments of Health, a University of North Dakota student was tested for the possibility of COVID-19, also known as Coronavirus.

Test results are still pending.

We'll see another test tonight at the bouncy ball game, will anybody sit by the UND fans?

19 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Maddow:  “Listen to the scientists!”

also Maddow:  “We have one hundred and sixty two possible genders!”

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Assume it's just "the flu".......that's where I stopped reading. 

Science at this stage states it's not the flu. You get half credit there.

Please read this sentence again and tell me what you think I'm saying. 

I would much rather overreact and take all reasonable measures to slow this down than assume it's just "the flu" (science says it's NOT by the way).

9 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We'll see another test tonight at the bouncy ball game, will anybody sit by the UND fans?

Well, it’s either run the risk of exposure to Covid-19 by sitting with the UND students or having to deal with the smell of chewing tobacco and kids who haven’t showered in a week over in the NDSU student section.

I’ll take my chances with the Covid-19 exposure...

• Upvote 2

That's a very odd graph.

Because "without protective measures" this "pandemic" ends before it would otherwise "with protective measures."

But overall cases the same in both graphs?

Or did a 12 year old make it up?

Those graphs just show how devastating the flu is to this country. In some cities, before the coronavirus, hospitals were over crowded and had to find places to put patients.

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

That's a very odd graph.

Or is it likely fake?

Because "without protective measures" this "pandemic" ends before it would otherwise "with protective measures."

It makes sense.  Instead of everyone getting it at once, it's spread out.  If it's more spread out it's more manageable.  Instead of 100 people showing up at the DMV at the same time, 2 come in each hour...

Just now, Walsh Hall said:

It makes sense.  Instead of everyone getting it at once, it's spread out.  If it's more spread out it's more manageable.  Instead of 100 people showing up at the DMV at the same time, 2 come in each hour...

Kind of like MafiaMan at his table during a speed dating session? 

Ahhhhh........now I get it!

24 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Please read this sentence again and tell me what you think I'm saying. 

I would much rather overreact and take all reasonable measures to slow this down than assume it's just "the flu" (science says it's NOT by the way).

You tell me exactly what you're saying.

"I think the flu is........" 

"I think the corona is........"

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic