SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

That's a very odd graph.

Or is it likely fake?

Because "without protective measures" this "pandemic" ends before it would otherwise "with protective measures."

The graph is illustrating that if we take protective measures (social distancing, not gathering in large groups, etc) that the spread of the virus will occur over a longer period of time than if we all go to sporting events, political rallies, and other large group gatherings. This is preferable as the longer it takes for the virus to spread around the population, the more likely we'll be able to handle it with our current capability to treat a large number of patients. 

We're past the containment phase; now we mitigate the best we can and hope like heck the spread of the virus slows (in the Northern Hemisphere at least) during the warmer months and we can get a vaccine for this sucker. Wash your hands, Sioux fans!

24 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

It makes sense.  Instead of everyone getting it at once, it's spread out.  If it's more spread out it's more manageable.  Instead of 100 people showing up at the DMV at the same time, 2 come in each hour...

I haven't seen anyone admit that the number of coronavirus cases will the the same in this country regardless of what we do to prevent it.

5 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

The graph is illustrating that if we take protective measures (social distancing, not gathering in large groups, etc) that the spread of the virus will occur over a longer period of time than if we all go to sporting events, political rallies, and other large group gatherings. This is preferable as the longer it takes for the virus to spread around the population, the more likely we'll be able to handle it with our current capability to treat a large number of patients. 

We're past the containment phase; now we mitigate the best we can and hope like heck the spread of the virus slows (in the Northern Hemisphere at least) during the warmer months and we can get a vaccine for this sucker. Wash your hands, Sioux fans!

Interesting to know that we cannot stop the inevitable. 

Here I thought canceling events was to help stop the spread completely and not just slow it down and lengthen the time out!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

100% agree with your final statement.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

You tell me exactly what you're saying.

"I think the flu is........" 

"I think the corona is........"

I'm not sure what's happening here, but I'll play along.

I would much rather overreact and take all reasonable measures to slow this down than assume it's just "the flu" (science says it's NOT by the way).

My preference would be to take relatively extreme measures (cancel large gatherings, close schools, etc.) in order to slow down the spread of the virus causing COVID-19.

This would help to flatten the curve (see graphic in original post) and give our medical community the best chance to successfully treat those infected with the new disease.

The opposite of my preference would be to assume it's just "the flu".

Many people (yourself on pages 4/5 of this thread, our President, etc) have compared this new disease to the flu and that we should all calm down and just prepare for something very similar to flu season. Don't take drastic mitigation steps, don't prevent people from gathering, keep the economy HOT, etc.

The new disease has an unknown trajectory, no established treatment protocol, and no vaccine. Fatality rate likely 10x to 30x of influenza. 1 per 1000 compared to 10-30 per 1000 as data is compiled by the CDC.

I would much rather overreact and take all reasonable measures to slow this down than assume it's just "the flu" (science says it's NOT by the way).

WASH YOUR HANDS, AND GO SIOUX!!!

1 minute ago, Kermit's Luck said:

I'm not sure what's happening here, but I'll play along.

My preference would be to take relatively extreme measures (cancel large gatherings, close schools, etc.) in order to slow down the spread of the virus causing COVID-19.

This would help to flatten the curve (see graphic in original post) and give our medical community the best chance to successfully treat those infected with the new disease.

The opposite of my preference would be to assume it's just "the flu".

Many people (yourself on pages 4/5 of this thread, our President, etc) have compared this new disease to the flu and that we should all calm down and just prepare for something very similar to flu season. Don't take drastic mitigation steps, don't prevent people from gathering, keep the economy HOT, etc.

The new disease has an unknown trajectory, no established treatment protocol, and no vaccine. Fatality rate likely 10x to 30x of influenza. 1 per 1000 compared to 10-30 per 1000 as data is compiled by the CDC.

WASH YOUR HANDS, AND GO SIOUX!!!

Got it.....we'll agree to disagree. This is not the flu. 60 years and younger in good health in THIS country you're better off getting corona than the flu. Severity of critical illness and mortality is less ......and I don't live in Italy.

Text me if you need me to deliver you a pizza or toilet paper. I'll Skype you to keep you company too.

9 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Got it.....we'll agree to disagree. This is not the flu. 60 years and younger in good health in THIS country you're better off getting corona than the flu. Severity of critical illness and mortality is less ......and I don't live in Italy.

Text me if you need me to deliver you a pizza or toilet paper. I'll Skype you to keep you company too.

If only everybody in THIS country was younger than 60 and in good health. Neither of those viruses are terribly likely to be harmful to that crowd. It’s the potential spread to vulnerable populations that should have people concerned. Most people with flu are (hopefully) wise enough to avoid others when they are experiencing the fever, chills, and cough that come with flu. I’m concerned that younger, healthy people with Covid-19 are going to simply have colds, and they’re going to want to keep on living their lives, putting others at risk.

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

You stop the spread of the coronavirus, the same way you stop the spread of the flu.

Coronavirus is less deadly than the Flu for anyone under 40.

Agreed that hand washing/hygiene etc are critical in preventing the spread of both flu and covid-19.

RE: covid-19 being less deadly than influenza - do you think widespread flu vaccination in the USA helps with the low fatality rate for those under 40? Let's also remember covid-19 has been around for about 3 months and we have no idea how this thing will look by the time it all shakes out.

Believe me - I 100% hope this thing settles down once things warm up and the guys in the lab coats have some time to figure out what to do next from a treatment/prevention standpoint. I also think it's worth giving up March Madness to try and give grandma and grandpa a better chance to see their grandkid's next birthday.

6 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

If only everybody in THIS country was younger than 60 and in good health. Neither of those viruses are terribly likely to be harmful to that crowd. It’s the potential spread to vulnerable populations that should have people concerned. Most people with flu are (hopefully) wise enough to avoid others when they are experiencing the fever, chills, and cough that come with flu. I’m concerned that younger, healthy people with Covid-19 are going to simply have colds, and they’re going to want to keep on living their lives, putting others at risk.

That all makes sense so we shut down society as we know it over every sniffle, cough and fever moving forward? That's where this is heading. The flu spreads to vulnerable populations. Where's the same concern? 

12 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Agreed that hand washing/hygiene etc are critical in preventing the spread of both flu and covid-19.

RE: covid-19 being less deadly than influenza - do you think widespread flu vaccination in the USA helps with the low fatality rate for those under 40? Let's also remember covid-19 has been around for about 3 months and we have no idea how this thing will look by the time it all shakes out.

Believe me - I 100% hope this thing settles down once things warm up and the guys in the lab coats have some time to figure out what to do next from a treatment/prevention standpoint. I also think it's worth giving up March Madness to try and give grandma and grandpa a better chance to see their grandkid's next birthday.

There is some play here on the overall psychy of the people in this country and their mental health if you advocate shutting down everything for what might happen. 

We'll just request big shipments of Prozac from China.......

9 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

I also think it's worth giving up March Madness to try and give grandma and grandpa a better chance to see their grandkid's next birthday.

You told me the same amount of people will get it regardless.

You told me cancelling March Madness will just slow down the rate.

So grandma's chances remain equal.

Correct but her bracket is busted out of the gate!

Grandma has a much better chance if she gets this next December with a hospital that isn't over-capacity. Or needing to be admitted to an ICU that ran out of beds ten days ago.

And hopefully there's a vaccine involved within 12-18 months - that's when slowing down the rate of infection will really pay off.

• Upvote 1

Not really. Slowing down the rate means ER wait times will be less, EMS crews won’t be as overwhelmed, and medical equipment like ventilators will be more readily available. Medical systems are generally not built with a lot of excess capacity. 

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

That all makes sense so we shut down society as we know it over every sniffle, cough and fever moving forward? That's where this is heading. The flu spreads to vulnerable populations. Where's the same concern? 

The CDC acknowledges risk factors for complications from the flu (over 65, pre-existing complications such as cancer, lung disease, etc) and strongly recommends being vaccinated against the flu. A very large percentage of adults that have a regular relationship with a doctor and/or preventative health receive the flu vaccine and this suppresses the fatality numbers. Thankfully.

There is a high level of concern surrounding the flu and its impact on vulnerable populations. With the vaccine and knowledge that has been gained over centuries of treating the flu, our medical community is able to mitigate the risks as best they can. The hope is that they learn how to deal with the brand new disease that just emerged three months or so ago and use their expertise to provide the same level of protection against covid-19 as against the flu.