SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

29 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Trump now saying the country would be doing well if we can limit deaths down to 100,000 or less. 

He's right. We prevented 1 to 2 million deaths like originally projected.

That's a steep decline and a lot Iof lives saved.

Minnesota governor the other day was predicting 74,000 dead in his state alone (worst case scenario).

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

He's right. We prevented 1 to 2 million deaths like originally projected.

That's a steep decline and a lot Iof lives saved.

Minnesota governor the other day was predicting 74,000 dead in his state alone (worst case scenario).

Shows the importance of 'shutting things down'.  As such we'd be on track to save many more lives had we acted sooner.  But it is what it is.  It's not a big necessity for places like North Dakota, relatively speaking, but for populated areas it's a must.   

Unfortunately I think Florida is gonna learn the hard way.  It's going to be a shitshow there very soon.    

7 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Shows the importance of 'shutting things down'. 

Unfortunately I think Florida is gonna learn the hard way.  It's going to be a shitshow there very soon.    

I know. I wonder how many flu deaths this country can save next year if we do the same thing.

I heard Louisiana was the next hot spot.

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

I know. I wonder how many flu deaths this country can save next year if we do the same thing.

I heard Louisiana was the next hot spot.

The common flu is apples/oranges            

Either way, yea, right now society has made the conscious decision to sacrifice the economy for a potential 2 million lives.  Trump appears to have gotten wind of this, considering the overwhelming opposition from the states to his recent appetite to open up the economy, and he's undertaken an abrupt 180 from a week ago.  But good on him, right decision made.       

Yes, SE states look to be next in line.  

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Who cares if they die from the flu or coronavirus.

Lives are lives and we need to save them.

Two years ago we lost 80,000 Americans to the flu.

We need to save a bunch of lives again next year by shutting it down!

An idiotic argument to counter idiotic statements made by others.    

Well, ok then.  Just don't break anything else while you're looking around.  

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Who cares if they die from the flu or coronavirus.

Lives are lives and we need to save them.

Two years ago we lost 80,000 Americans to the flu.

We need to get ahead of it before we have another record amount of flu deaths.

We must save lives again next year by closing schools, sports, and businesses. 

I think we should each get our own pod.   And we all get intubated respirators with clean air, and fed intravenously with safe and nutritious stuff.   And since that is boring, we would all need an artificial reality connection directly into our nervous system.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

An idiotic argument to counter idiotic statements made by others.    

Well, ok then.  Just don't break anything else while you're looking around.  

You don't care about saving lives?

How many have to die before you think we need to shut society down?

Patients before Profits.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cratter said:

You don't care about saving lives?

How many have to die before you think we need to shut society down?

Depends if shutting down the economy would result in more actual deaths.  What that exact number/ratio is, I don't pretend to know. 

But shutting down society to save a percentage of 80k flu victims isn't rational, nor do we do as such. It's immaterial.   Locking down society to prevent coronavirus from potentially increasing the US death rate by 75%?  Yes, we'll shut it down thank you very much.         

Or were you looking for a wacko left-wing response so you could "own the libs"?

Jesus Christ.  There exists huge vulnerable populations in the SE and only Louisiana is under a stay-at-home order. 

It's like watching a mass shooting in slow motion with some of these southern red states.  

Natural selection I guess.  

6 hours ago, farce poobah said:

I think we should each get our own pod.   And we all get intubated respirators with clean air, and fed intravenously with safe and nutritious stuff.   And since that is boring, we would all need an artificial reality connection directly into our nervous system.

BTW this is not directed at you just found that part above interesting but that box has been checked thru April 30........ but my guess is Fauci on Easter Sunday will tell Trump "better make it thru Memorial Day just to be safe".

Just read an article in the Forum "Scared, angry, hopeless". It's about those already out of work in this areas but nothing relevant there. Now reading "ND's rural hospitals face 'daily struggle' to make ends meet". States that ND's 36 rural hospitals operate on an average profit margin of 1.5%. Can't acute care patients in Cando just drive the 2 hours to Minot or GF?

Where's the "potential" models for the number businesses and restaurants that will permanently close, bankruptcies, divorces, deaths by mitagating factors on the back side of this crisis? Apples to oranges right?

Early estimates are another 2M jobless claims when report come out Thursday.

2 hours ago, Redneksioux said:

Own the libs

This may be too difficult for an uneducated redneck to read, but at some point those that still think covid19 and social distancing measures are a hoax will need to realize this stance is even more whacko than that of an anti vaxxer. 

Good article.   

That said, I think we’ve come to a turning point.  It will be interesting to see this situation develop considering Trump, with his most recent admission, is now thoroughly contradicting the traditionally held worldview of his hardcore base, at least for the time being.  I mean the gradual shift in tone over at Fox News over the past 2 months has been beyond eye-catching.  Obviously a pandemic can pose a political problem for a president; as such Trump appears to have reluctantly come to the realization that a virus isn’t a political opponent he can use his time-tested playbook against.  Covid isn’t going away and is just getting worse.  

I found it interesting that Trump put a number on what success might look like when he said if we keep the death count to 100,000 it was a success (leaving himself open to criticism that anything over that by default would not be a success).  Yes his mouth gets out in from of his brain on a regular basis........but I'd be betting on the under right now.  

31 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

I found it interesting that Trump put a number on what success might look like when he said if we keep the death count to 100,000 it was a success (leaving himself open to criticism that anything over that by default would not be a success).  Yes his mouth gets out in from of his brain on a regular basis........but I'd be betting on the under right now.  

With the narrative that was built around this he could say any amount deaths less than 1.6- 2.1 million is a success.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I'm awfully tired of anyone who doesn't agree with the viewpoints of the "tolerant" left being labled an "uneducated redneck," but keep on keepin' on...

The problem is the social distancing measures our president put in place are not those of the tolerant left. 

While continuing to make light of the health measures and downplaying their importance, you might as well be an anti-vaxxer.

1 hour ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Good article.   

That said, I think we’ve come to a turning point.  It will be interesting to see this situation develop considering Trump, with his most recent admission, is now thoroughly contradicting the traditionally held worldview of his hardcore base, at least for the time being.  I mean the gradual shift in tone over at Fox News over the past 2 months has been beyond eye-catching.  Obviously a pandemic can pose a political problem for a president; as such Trump appears to have reluctantly come to the realization that a virus isn’t a political opponent he can use his time-tested playbook against.  Covid isn’t going away and is just getting worse.  

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2020/01/get-your-flu-shot/

https://www.vox.com/2020/1/29/21113282/coronavirus-travel-ban-advisory-china-is-it-safe

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/2/6/21121303/coronavirus-wuhan-panic-pandemic-outbreak

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/07/health/coronavirus-travel-ban/index.html

So more liberal publications were always on board that Trump should have done something in January, eh?  My favorite is CNN's discussion of the travel ban to China "backfiring."  I'd love to post the link to the January VOX article about the flu being more of a concern this year than COVID-19, but it's mysteriously disappeared from the internet.  Hmnnn...that's a mystery, isn't it?

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Tim Walz guesstimates 74,000 deaths in Minnesota and the media doesn't bat an eye.  Trump guesstimates 100,000 across the entire country and the collective media response is, "WHY DIDN'T HE DO SOMETHING SOONER?"  

Sooo...either someone's numbers are WAY off or 49 other states will account for 26,000 deaths while uber-hotspot Minnesota accounts for almost 3 out of every 4 deaths in the country?  Or are we still thinking we'll have MILLIONS of deaths in the US? 

MAYBE the national media isn’t picking up on Walz’s guesstimates because he’s a GOVERNOR of a relatively insignificant state while TRUMP is PREZODENT and is using CDC and NIAID figures.   

Am I doing the twitter CAP THIS RIGHT??????

Sweet jesus.  Quote a line from the Goonies, I feel like I'm babysitting and not getting paid.      

1 hour ago, Redneksioux said:

The problem is the social distancing measures our president put in place are not those of the tolerant left. 

While continuing to make light of the health measures and downplaying their importance, you might as well be an anti-vaxxer.

The standard liberal comeback to everything.  Yea, I must be an uneducated hay-chewin' Confederate-flag-wavin' hillbilly redneck from Fairfield, North Dakota...

• Upvote 3

I can't believe I am going to site this newspaper, but here goes. I keep hearing how President Trump killed the Pandemic Response Team. That's not true. They reorganized it.  Headline -- No, the White House didn’t ‘dissolve’ its pandemic response office. I was there.

It is true that the Trump administration has seen fit to shrink the NSC staff. But the bloat that occurred under the previous administration clearly needed a correction. Defense Secretary Robert Gates, congressional oversight committees and members of the Obama administration itself all agreed the NSC was too large and too operationally focused (a departure from its traditional role coordinating executive branch activity). As The Post reported in 2015, from the Clinton administration to the Obama administration’s second term, the NSC’s staff “had quadrupled in size, to nearly 400 people.” That is why Trump began streamlining the NSC staff in 2017.