SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

8 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

There are not enough data to know right now, there are likely some people who will still test positive weeks after having their acute symptoms. Whether those people are infectious or not at that point is also not well known. Antibody testing should be helpful in evaluating people for past infection. I'm anxiously awaiting antibody testing. I think it's possible I had it back in early February after air travel to and from Florida. 

Symptoms? 

My brother who travels abroad quite a bit for his job thinks he had it in early December.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Symptoms? 

My wife started with it first, runny nose and dry cough. I remember her saying she had some chills. She gets terrible sore throats with colds, but this time no sore throat. I had some aches, fatigue, briefly wondered if I had fever, prominent dry cough. I also had GI symptoms. My kid had a fever. At the time I thought we had flu modified by the vaccine, which still may be true. My cough lingered for weeks and even 3-4 weeks after the initial symptoms I remember coughing up a little bit of sputum. There's a confounder there that I have mild asthma, but I never really felt like it was an asthma flare. I've felt short of breath when climbing stairs but I attributed that to weight gain. I don't remember loss of smell or taste, but I do remember no food seemed appealing to me except for spicy stuff, which was weird considering I had some GI symptoms. 

I haven't been able to find when first cases were found in Florida, but I also have to keep in mind we were in some tourist areas. Not massively crowded stuff like Disney, but we went to zoos and aquariums, that sort of thing.

13 minutes ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

My wife started with it first, runny nose and dry cough. I remember her saying she had some chills. She gets terrible sore throats with colds, but this time no sore throat. I had some aches, fatigue, briefly wondered if I had fever, prominent dry cough. I also had GI symptoms. My kid had a fever. At the time I thought we had flu modified by the vaccine, which still may be true. My cough lingered for weeks and even 3-4 weeks after the initial symptoms I remember coughing up a little bit of sputum. There's a confounder there that I have mild asthma, but I never really felt like it was an asthma flare. I've felt short of breath when climbing stairs but I attributed that to weight gain. I don't remember loss of smell or taste, but I do remember no food seemed appealing to me except for spicy stuff, which was weird considering I had some GI symptoms. 

I haven't been able to find when first cases were found in Florida, but I also have to keep in mind we were in some tourist areas. Not massively crowded stuff like Disney, but we went to zoos and aquariums, that sort of thing.

Interesting........I have heard a number of people with similar symptoms from late November to early January. Main symptoms........fatigue and cough.

Most of those got influenza testing that was of course negative

20 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

And then 2 more and then 2 more and then  2 more?  LOL

So you're saying clubs stay in storage and just keep snowblower out and ready for next October?

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Interesting........I have heard a number of people with similar symptoms from late November to early January. Main symptoms........fatigue and cough.

Most of those got influenza testing that was of course negative

Yeah, I'm hearing a lot of the same. I have a hard time believing that many of those people had Covid-19 at that time, because hospitals in the US weren't overrun with critically ill patients until just the last couple of weeks. Some years there have been pretty nasty strains of parainfluenza around, and that was another possibility I considered for my illness a while back.

7 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Another interesting development....Dems now apparently getting on board with border security. https://news.yahoo.com/rhode-island-police-hunt-down-211405349.html

Crazy stuff.

Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.

“Right now we have a pinpointed risk,” Governor Gina Raimondo said. “That risk is called New York City.”

Every governor is seeing how they can become crazier than the last one.

One thing not being mentioned is the severe loss in revenue to the healthcare systems in this country. Most systems will lose roughly a third or more of their revenue during the fight against COVID due to most outpatient visits are most non-existent. No elective or non-essential procedures are being done. If a multi-billon dollar system which operates on a small margin of +/- 3% loses that much revenue it becomes a challenge moving forward.

Maybe yzerman and/or UND...MICH can speak more to this.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

One thing not being mentioned is the severe loss in revenue to the healthcare systems in this country. Most systems will lose roughly a third or more of their revenue during the fight against COVID due to most outpatient visits are most non-existent. No elective or non-essential procedures are being done. If a multi-billon dollar system which operates on a small margin +/- 3% loses that much revenue it becomes a challenge moving forward.

Many outpatient visits here are being done by telemedicine.  I'm sure the number pales in comparison to the usual, but there's probably an uptick in calls about routine respiratory stuff because people are concerned they have the Covid. As for ill visits, patients who otherwise would be told to come in (or would come in on their own) for fevers and coughs are now staying home. Some of these people may learn that they don't need to run to the doctor for viral symptoms, which would be good for them, bad for urgent care centers and the like. Further, social distancing will keep a lid on many of the other viruses which prompt office visits and hospital stays. I've long been convinced that when we have years with more school breaks related to snow, our inpatient pediatric numbers are lower. For health maintenance stuff and follow-up on chronic conditions, there can be some concern that people will end up in worse shape after this and need more care. A terrible way to make money, which is one of the many reasons I'm uncomfortable with the model of healthcare as a business enterprise. 

I'm not sure about elective procedures, I feel like most of these will have to be caught up on over time? This could end up putting a strain on OR space and staff, as people are trying to get their delayed care rescheduled. 

27 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

One thing not being mentioned is the severe loss in revenue to the healthcare systems in this country. Most systems will lose roughly a third or more of their revenue during the fight against COVID due to most outpatient visits are most non-existent. No elective or non-essential procedures are being done. If a multi-billon dollar system which operates on a small margin of +/- 3% loses that much revenue it becomes a challenge moving forward.

Payers already being asked to provide cash advances and emergency cash flow.  ICU beds are expensive to staff...and yes a lot of high margin procedures are being postponed or canceled.

Reconnecting. It’s counterintuitive but our town and neighborhood seems to be getting closer. The place is brimming with parents and kids playing in the yards. Constant dog walking, people saying hello as they pass on foot. The neighbors just put on a fireworks display. People have put messages in chalk art at the ends of their driveways, and stuffed animals hidden in trees and shrubs for kids to “hunt” as they walk by. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, CarpeRemote said:

Reconnecting. It’s counterintuitive but our town and neighborhood seems to be getting closer. The place is brimming with parents and kids playing in the yards. Constant dog walking, people saying hello as they pass on foot. The neighbors just put on a fireworks display. People have put messages in chalk art at the ends of their driveways, and stuffed animals hidden in trees and shrubs for kids to “hunt” as they walk by. 

I feel like our family is closer and we’re at 20 days...

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

North Dakota just today announced basically the same thing.

Jail time and/or fines for anyone out in public from certain states.

Just got back to Hillsboro, North Dakota from Arizona and went out to the grocery store?

Handcuffs!

What if I'm just walking the streets in my Nick Schmaltz Coyotes jersey???

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic