SiouxSports.com Forum

Bochenski running for Mayor

nd jg

11 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

so Mr INTHEKNOW....what's your beef with the city bus service?   YOU'D never use it?   of course you wouldn't - you don't need to!   Take a day and go down and see and talk to the people that need to have a city bus service.   If you can make the time - it will shine a light you don't know about right now.   Experience it...and learn how other people live. 

pretty sure if you crunch the numbers it would make more sense to offer uber/lyft credits to people that NEED the bus service instead of 99% empty buses running all over town advertising...with the flip side of the people that NEED it getting pickup at their front doors and dropped off at the front door of where they are going. 

First thing I’d do is hire a full time salaried city employee as a Business Recruiter to capitalize on the current state of the country. There are thousands of businesses around the country in California, NY, IL, CT, and best yet MN that are being gutted by their state and local governments and are chomping at the bit to move out, given the right opportunity. Call them ALL. Find out which of those companies would be a decent fit for GF and figure out some sort of benefitted offer for them to move their business to GF. Tax relief, discounted land, or whatever else would seem fit for each situation. God knows there’s an unlimited amount of Empty and open commercial real estate in Gf so that would give many of them a quick option for moving to GF if needed. 

Even reaching out to every large and small drone company in the country would be a good idea, even if they’re not itching to move. Claim GF as the drone hub and they’ll be left behind not being here with the top talent and center of the industry. 

Screw the good ole boys club that has drug GF down for the past decade and open some gates to get something flowing. Anything. If it’s going to compete with an existing business, then good! Create some competition. 

I think the community has spoken by voting that old stagnant mayor out finally. Take some risks and create some excitement for once

GF has grown slower than the average US city (5% vs 6%) while Fargo, West Fargo, Bismarck, Mandan, Minot, Williston, Dickinson have all absolutely blown up over 15,20,30% in the same span. Jamestown is the only town over 10k that GF is growing faster than. WOOF

Obviously an oil boom is an outlier situation, but when you’re surrounded by other cities just launching with growth you should be seeing at least a little of that success which usually comes from successful neighbors. Yet, here’s GF seemingly going backwards. It’s actually depressing and sad to drive through that town with very little new sites other than shut down businesses that were just open on my last trip through. I’d love to see that turn around. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

First thing I’d do is hire a full time salaried city employee as a Business Recruiter to capitalize on the current state of the country. There are thousands of businesses around the country in California, NY, IL, CT, and best yet MN that are being gutted by their state and local governments and are chomping at the bit to move out, given the right opportunity. Call them ALL. Find out which of those companies would be a decent fit for GF and figure out some sort of benefitted offer for them to move their business to GF. Tax relief, discounted land, or whatever else would seem fit for each situation. God knows there’s an unlimited amount of Empty and open commercial real estate in Gf so that would give many of them a quick option for moving to GF if needed. 

Even reaching out to every large and small drone company in the country would be a good idea, even if they’re not itching to move. Claim GF as the drone hub and they’ll be left behind not being here with the top talent and center of the industry. 

Screw the good ole boys club that has drug GF down for the past decade and open some gates to get something flowing. Anything. If it’s going to compete with an existing business, then good! Create some competition. 

I think the community has spoken by voting that old stagnant mayor out finally. Take some risks and create some excitement for once

GF has grown slower than the average US city (5% vs 6%) while Fargo, West Fargo, Bismarck, Mandan, Minot, Williston, Dickinson have all absolutely blown up over 15,20,30% in the same span. Jamestown is the only town over 10k that GF is growing faster than. WOOF

Obviously an oil boom is an outlier situation, but when you’re surrounded by other cities just launching with growth you should be seeing at least a little of that success which usually comes from successful neighbors. Yet, here’s GF seemingly going backwards. It’s actually depressing and sad to drive through that town with very little new sites other than shut down businesses that were just open on my last trip through. I’d love to see that turn around. 

I think you are on to something here. Bringing in a handful of the right companies will be a vitamin B shot to the arm for Grand Forks. 

11 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

First thing I’d do is FIRE HAGA AND USE HIS SALARY TO hire a full time salaried city employee as a Business Recruiter to capitalize on the current state of the country. There are thousands of businesses around the country in California, NY, IL, CT, and best yet MN that are being gutted by their state and local governments and are chomping at the bit to move out, given the right opportunity. Call them ALL. Find out which of those companies would be a decent fit for GF and figure out some sort of benefitted offer for them to move their business to GF. Tax relief, discounted land, or whatever else would seem fit for each situation. God knows there’s an unlimited amount of Empty and open commercial real estate in Gf so that would give many of them a quick option for moving to GF if needed. 

fixed ...please!

• Upvote 1

With the current police climate a criminal justice department that can develop new curriculum That still maintains police integrity could be a big get for a *university.

Grand Forks needs to work with UND to attract students and business

New Mayor, new UND president, now is the time to get going and be proud of the city and university

• 2 years later...
14 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

biked thru king's walk neighborhood last night...biked by bochenski when he was driving home.....drives a Rivian?  never heard of it before....seems like he would be a ford f150 guy!!!!!!

As an around town 40-80 miles per day machine it's an F150 Lightning with a different word. 

3 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Is Bochenski doing a good job? Haven’t lived in forks awhile.

I would say a very good.  When I moved here in 2015 I seen very little development in this town.  I had a hard time finding any homes to purchase and very little new construction.   I went to more business close out sales then ribbon cuttings.   Since he has been elected there has been a explosion of commercial development in the town.  There is construction everywhere you look.   I am excited for the future of Grand Forks.  We have a business friendly mayor that loves the town and likes to get things done.   I totally agree with how he handled the FuFeng disaster.  He was looking at it as a big impact for the city, but some battles you just cant fight.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Kab said:

He is proactive instead of no action

GF and county leaders need to get the i29 overpass done and soon as it’s in start on another one

You mean the mayor, a city leader, ... leads? 

Been a while since GF's had that. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Kab said:

GF and county leaders need to get the i29 overpass done and soon as it’s in start on another one

100%.

Nothing from 130 (Thompson) to 138 (32nd Ave) is abhorrent. It's a growth hindrance.
The King's Walk area needs access. Period. 

Also, even a "gopher hole" (underpass, no access ramps) at 17th Ave S (Alerus Center) would be a help to grow the industrial park and rest of 42nd St. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

100%.

Nothing from 130 (Thompson) to 138 (32nd Ave) is abhorrent. It's a growth hindrance.

Also, even a "gopher hole" (underpass, no access ramps) at 17th Ave S (Alerus Center) would be a help to grow the industrial park and rest of 42nd St. 

Then send it over the river to EGF.  Get that beet traffic outta here!

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

100%.

47th Ave interchange is coming very soon.
Underpass at Demers and 42nd is as well.

Both are in the final planning stages.

• Upvote 4