SiouxSports.com Forum

We got lucky

gfhockey

22 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

The assumption that anyone who believes in what our coaching staff is trying to do “loves being average “ is ridiculous.  A person’s opinion about a coach or program has nothing to do with ones personal ambitions and accomplishments.   It’s another fans opinion. The fact that someone agrees with the Cal Davis coach that our kids were well prepared and well coached Saturday has nothing to do with what they are satisfied with. It doesn’t even mean they want Bubba as head coach. Why don’t you knock off the baloney. I would love to see the long list of the accomplishments of some of you experts. We are all just fans and your opinion is no more or less valid than anyone else’s until you start the rhetoric about people being satisfied with mediocrity etc.  Then for many it isn’t as valid. The coaching staff we have and the players we have are just that. A lot of people didn’t like parts of the game or play calling and may be as critical as you are of Bubba. Most however,  can do so without the unwarranted insinuations about others personal characteristics. Your criticism of coaching decisions is reasonable but you should be able to do so without the other bull$%!#. 

Well said...

19 hours ago, tnt said:

Let’s just say that there was a good reason the whole crowd booed the conservative approach down the stretch.  They ended up winning, which is good, but only because they were forced to go back on the attack.

the crowd doesn't always know what is going on. Kett had the option to throw the ball on one of those downs when we ran it 3 times and missed the fg.  Per Bubba his read should have been to pull the ball out and throw a pass instead.   He made a decision but the run wasn't preordained. 

Per the Herald article today -  

After C.J. Siegel returned an interception 58 yards to the 21 after a fourth-down pick, the Hawks went to the run game with 7:15 to go in the fourth quarter.

UND ran twice with James Johannesson and once with Dalton Gee for a total of two yards. That led to a 36-yard missed field goal by Brady Leach with 5:28 to go.

UND coach Bubba Schweigert said one of the plays should have been read as a pass off a run-pass option play.

"We missed one there on a decision to pull," Schweigert said. "We should've pulled the ball and thrown it. We tell (Ketteringham), if he doesn't get a clean look to hand the ball off. We were in field-goal range and Brady can make it from there.

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

It's hard to debate an entire board.  especially when they are of this intellectual level.  My post was general and applicable

Moderators: This comment is correct. The amount of clueless posts with a a lack of true insight is incredible. I can't imagine that the original creation of this sight was to spew hatred of the coaches and players they way some people (who are not censored) do.   

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Norhsidepride said:

Moderators: This comment is correct. The amount of clueless posts with a a lack of true insight is incredible. I can't imagine that the original creation of this sight was to spew hatred of the coaches and players they way some people (who are not censored) do.   

Far too many folks on here constantly compare the UND program to the program 90 miles to the south.  NOBODY in any division of college football compares to their performance in FCS at the moment, not even Alabama and Clemson in FBS.  Not healthy.

They will falter at some moment and that will be out moment to pounce, until then we have to be the best football program we can be at the FCS level.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Far too many folks on here constantly compare the UND program to the program 90 miles to the south.  NOBODY in any division of college football compares to their performance in FCS at the moment, not even Alabama and Clemson in FBS.  Not healthy.

I was thinking the same thing last night, totally agree. 

• Upvote 1

Recruiting to Fargo is easy: Win a championship

Recruiting to Grand forks.... or places like Brookings or Pocatello is not.  Sell a small town, sell a school, sell facilities, sell winning, sell cold... and meet the Universities higher than NCAA entrance standards.   Not easy - Thank goodness for the HPC because several of the top recruits in the last two classes have stated they would not be at UND without it.  

Positive support of the program can help too. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

UND possibly has the worst duo of kicker and punter in the entire country. Worse yet, probably 2 years in a row. That’s on the coaching staff 100% 

I don't remember seeing any of the coaches punt or kick a ball yet this year but I have missed a few plays.

I can see why this is a tough thread for some especially after we won a big game at home.  And I agree that many teams have had second collapses.  However, for others it was confirmation that Bubba was still Bubba - I think when he finally got rid of Rudy we thought maybe he had grown some.  He will always be the guy who gets the ball before half with a reasonable shot of getting into field goal range with a time out to use and instead starts thinking about how the other team might in some bizarre way get momentum if we try and mess up.  He will always be the guy who with a lead at halftime starts to look at the clock and starts to figure out ways to milk it.  He will always be the guy who is usually out-adjusted for the second half.  He will always be ultra-conservative - every time.  For many of us this is very frustrating.  We were two very stupid Davis penalties away from letting this game get away.  

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Norhsidepride said:

Recruiting to Fargo is easy: Win a championship

Recruiting to Grand forks.... or places like Brookings or Pocatello is not.  Sell a small town, sell a school, sell facilities, sell winning, sell cold... and meet the Universities higher than NCAA entrance standards.   Not easy - Thank goodness for the HPC because several of the top recruits in the last two classes have stated they would not be at UND without it.  

Positive support of the program can help too. 

Fargo isn’t that great

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Clemson, SC and Tuscaloosa, AL are not exactly great draws for college students either.  The promise of a ring draws them in.

I was the opposite as a kid. I wanted to join an underdog team and be apart of building them up on their rise to the top. I wanted to be a piece to the puzzle that built a team up to win a championship. The small chance of that success was more drawing to me than joining a team that is already on top and is kicking out rings before you were even around. Going from middle of the road to the best of the best during your time there would've been the most rewarding championship of all. Just being another notch on the belt and your team being blended in with a lot of other great teams just doesnt seem that rewarding. Especially taking the risk of actually being the disappointment but not winning the ship even after a great season. That just seems unattractive to me.  

I do however understand the draw behind joining a team on top and being apart of continued success in all, but I was just wired different I guess. I always have high hopes that some of the top recruits have that same thought process. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Irish said:

They do, however, recruit and coach the guys who do.

Wonder if the coaches every thought about that.  Little tough to recruit the best players if they don't want to play here.  Kind of a chicken and egg think.  Need to win to get the good players and need the good players to win.

I think the injuries of 2017 really hurt this team.  We were on the right track until then.  Bubba and his staff took a 3 win program over and increased their win total by 2 each year until the 9 win team of 2016.  Places like UND you need to build the program, you are not going to get back to back great recuriting classes and be a national championship contendor overnight.

I think Bubba and his staff of back on the right track.  Last year was better then the year prior and I think this years team is better than last year.

• Upvote 3

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:49 PM, F'nHawks said:

Are you as disappointed with the win as your posts seems to indicate?  Don’t want to jump to conclusions as I know what one reads isn’t always what the writer intended. But, you seem to be down after a win that has us headed in the right direction...

This question was posed to UND-FB-FAN and answered by Longtime fan.    Huh!!!  Who will you be next???? 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Irish said:

They do, however, recruit and coach the guys who do.

I never blamed a coach when I missed a kick and don't know how they could have coached me differently.  Although I wasn't above blaming the snap or the hold :wink:

The coaches  generally left us alone and didn't tinker with our mechanics.

These guys have the ability (as shown by the game winner) but need to perform on the field. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Big Green said:

I think the injuries of 2017 really hurt this team.  We were on the right track until then.  Bubba and his staff took a 3 win program over and increased their win total by 2 each year until the 9 win team of 2016.  Places like UND you need to build the program, you are not going to get back to back great recuriting classes and be a national championship contendor overnight..

The 2017 season definitely set UND back, agreed. They started top 10 FCS and ended the season 3 - 8 ...... it really soured a lot of support that was growing back at that time. 

The second part of your comment makes no sense to me. Places like UND? UND and their staff needs to recruit well or else they won’t win. Simple - get talent to come to grand forks. It starts with recruiting. That is college football 101 and anyone trying to convince themselves of something different is delusional. Development within the program is important, but you need talent upfront. This is well established in college football. I do think the 2020 recruiting class is coming together nicely. 

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The 2017 season definitely set UND back, agreed. They started top 10 FCS and ended the season 3 - 8 ...... it really soured a lot of support that was growing back at that time. 

The second part of your comment makes no sense to me. Places like UND? UND and their staff needs to recruit well or else they won’t win. Simple - get talent to come to grand forks. It starts with recruiting. That is college football 101 and anyone trying to convince themselves of something different is delusional. Development within the program is important, but you need talent upfront. This is well established in college football. I do think the 2020 recruiting class is coming together nicely. 

Agree.  By build the program I mean have better record each year which should lead to better recruiting class each year.  Your not going to get the best athletes to came play for average team.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Agree.  By build the program I mean have better record each year which should lead to better recruiting class each year.  Your not going to get the best athletes to came play for average team.  

Your grammar makes me cringe, as does the existence of a negative thread after we beat a ranked team. Could we have done better? Sure, but that's true of every game. Is Bubba a perfect coach? Of course not. If he was, he'd be coaching in the NFL. Is recruiting his responsibility? Of course, but let's be honest, while UND is a great school and I love it, but unless you play in the Ralph or Betty, our facilities need help. The HPC is certainly an improvement, but they have to attend class, eat and live in GF like every other student. Also, athletes probably weren't too eager to come to UND when programs were getting cut every year. 

3 hours ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Your grammar makes me cringe, as does the existence of a negative thread after we beat a ranked team. Could we have done better? Sure, but that's true of every game. Is Bubba a perfect coach? Of course not. If he was, he'd be coaching in the NFL. Is recruiting his responsibility? Of course, but let's be honest, while UND is a great school and I love it, but unless you play in the Ralph or Betty, our facilities need help. The HPC is certainly an improvement, but they have to attend class, eat and live in GF like every other student. Also, athletes probably weren't too eager to come to UND when programs were getting cut every year. 

Curbing the overall expectations in typical good ol’ fashion, huh? 

The Alerus Center is not an awful facility by any stretch of the imagination. It isn’t great, but certainly not awful. Look around the country before being critical. Have you been to the DakotaDome in Vermillion? Even UNI’s dome is nothing special. With that said, UND does need HPC Phase II desperately - the locker room situation for UND football is not good. And although the Alerus is average for football, there are always pipe dreams out there for something better. There are perhaps renovation type projects that the Alerus Center could look into to try boost the environment for UND football. Have to show they’re committed first.