SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 - 20 Women’s BB Season

SiouxFan100

8 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And yet, Brewster will talk in the paper about how they are moving in the right direction and whatever other crap he comes up with.

But at least you won't have to read about it until Tuesday if you live in GF.....but I digress.

• Upvote 1

Our girls, particularly the freshman, have no idea how to stop vertical penetration.  We play matador defense which, assuming we get help side, leaves someone else wide open without good rotation.  There is a reason we give up nearly the century mark every game on defense.  This has been an atrocious problem for at least the last 4 years.  There was a game last year where I was praying for a switch to zone after watching us give up what seemed like 20 uncontested layups to Idaho.  We apparently don’t coach or teach defensive skills to stop a drive at all.  Offensively, we can look good in transition at times.  Too many turnovers but that happens with a running offense.  The problem is we have no half court offense at all.  Our entire offense before was give it to Lexi Klabo and see what she can do against a double or triple team.  She was incredible but got no help from our offensive scheme. Anyone watching film this year overplays us badly to the outside which effects our 3 point shooting.  What hurts is we don’t adjust to what everyone is doing to us.  No back door cuts, we never take the base line when it is wide open - NDSU’s thugs down low were physical but neither fast nor athletic.  We should have had a field day forcing them to rotate but we continue to just pass the perimeter game after game.  I think there is talent there but the system needs serious help before success is going to find them.  Hard to watch right now...

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I am thinking if Brew stays at UND, and at this point he will unless he is fired, and if NDSU is able to keep Collins, I think you may need to get used to it. 

At this point.... I’m not going to disagree.

especially if they land a certain girl from Roseau. 

1 minute ago, und1995 said:

You really think NDSU will land the last Borowicz sister? Last I heard, the Gophers offered her a scholarship. 

I'm not saying that they will.  Is it possible? Of course.  Just like it is possible for UND to land her.  

If NDSU is looking for their game changer for their program, she is the one to land.  

I have followed both schools through the year.  I have seen one team progressively get better (NDSU) and one team get progressively worse (UND) .  This in my opinion can only be from the coaching.   I think NDSU got a winner hire when they hired Collins, he took very average to below average players and made them competitive in most games.  UND I think has more talent on their team but has under performed all year long.   Very disappointed in the play.  I go to most the UND games but I don't think I could stand watching them any more.  They look out of control and throw up shots with out any reason.  They need to move on from Brewster or Collins NDSU teams will be years ahead soon.   NDSU will start winning any recruiting battles with their program and coach. 

3 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I'm not saying that they will.  Is it possible? Of course.  Just like it is possible for UND to land her.  

If NDSU is looking for their game changer for their program, she is the one to land.  

I think the only way UND or NDSU land her is if she wants to go to a smaller school on a smaller city. And I would assume if she goes that route, UND would have the upper hand with her sister already on the team.

3 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

I have followed both schools through the year.  I have seen one team progressively get better (NDSU) and one team get progressively worse (UND) .  This in my opinion can only be from the coaching.   I think NDSU got a winner hire when they hired Collins, he took very average to below average players and made them competitive in most games.  UND I think has more talent on their team but has under performed all year long.   Very disappointed in the play.  I go to most the UND games but I don't think I could stand watching them any more.  They look out of control and throw up shots with out any reason.  They need to move on from Brewster or Collins NDSU teams will be years ahead soon.   NDSU will start winning any recruiting battles with their program and coach. 

I think you are correct. It is a very small sample, but what I have seen from Collins is very impressive. And I think I heard Jack Michael’s say UND bussed home from Fort Wayne and on the same weekend the NDSU women chartered a flight into Western Illinois. I am not sure the circumstances, but that shows a different level of commitment to women’s basketball between the 2 schools. 

3 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I think you are correct. It is a very small sample, but what I have seen from Collins is very impressive. And I think I heard Jack Michael’s say UND bussed home from Fort Wayne and on the same weekend the NDSU women chartered a flight into Western Illinois. I am not sure the circumstances, but that shows a different level of commitment to women’s basketball between the 2 schools. 

UND chartered their flight to Western Illinois.  

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Good question.  

Because they flew to Fort Wayne.  But it was a 1 game week for them.  So they bus’d home because yes it did save them budget, but believe it or not when they factored of when they could get flights out, American/Delta/United with layovers etc. (All planned in the summer) Because there are no flights after the game. they got on the sleeper bus and were home sooner than they would have been home the next day flying commercial. Yes, both the Men & Women chartered to both ORU & WIU together this year. From what I understand that was what the Oregon State MBB check was used for.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, the green team said:

Because they flew to Fort Wayne.  But it was a 1 game week for them.  So they bus’d home because yes it did save them budget, but believe it or not when they factored of when they could get flights out, American/Delta/United with layovers etc. (All planned in the summer) Because there are no flights after the game. they got on the sleeper bus and were home sooner than they would have been home the next day flying commercial. Yes, both the Men & Women chartered to both ORU & WIU together this year. From what I understand that was what the Oregon State MBB check was used for.  

I guess that makes sense. Most of the time I have checked, a one way ticket cost about the same as a round trip, but maybe not. I can’t imagine it saved much money if they actually flew out and bused home. But it must have saved a bit. If I were the players or coaches, I would have rather spent the night in Fort Wayne and flew home Sunday AM.

Brew NEEDS to go! He quits coaching any time the team starts to slide. He never changes up his defensive scheme during a game. A little zone against USD would have at least showed he was trying to be competitive. Has anyone noticed how he consistently takes out the hot handed player when they are on a roll? Borowicz was on fire against SDSU and he subbed her out. He does it all the time. Makes no sense. I don't think he knows what he's doing out there. I believe he still has one more year on his contract. Anyone think Chaves would buy him out of his contract next year?

5 hours ago, FightingSioux87 said:

Brew NEEDS to go! He quits coaching any time the team starts to slide. He never changes up his defensive scheme during a game. A little zone against USD would have at least showed he was trying to be competitive. Has anyone noticed how he consistently takes out the hot handed player when they are on a roll? Borowicz was on fire against SDSU and he subbed her out. He does it all the time. Makes no sense. I don't think he knows what he's doing out there. I believe he still has one more year on his contract. Anyone think Chaves would buy him out of his contract next year?

You have to wonder what his teams will look like if he is not going to have first choice on local talent (ND and NW Minn) like he has had since he became head coach. I think Collins will have a shot at some of those kids now. I saw Ross Manson at an NDSU Mens game a couple of weeks ago in his NDSU gear. I have to think after watching this year play out, he has to be thinking where was Collins a year ago. I know when Maggie made her decision there really wasn't much of  a decision to be made with Walseth at NDSU. And more goes into it than basketball. She may very well have chosen UND anyway. But as a basketball coach himself, he must look at the two coaches and think his daughter is getting cheated out of being coached into a better basketball player. 

20 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

You have to wonder what his teams will look like if he is not going to have first choice on local talent (ND and NW Minn) like he has had since he became head coach. I think Collins will have a shot at some of those kids now. I saw Ross Manson at an NDSU Mens game a couple of weeks ago in his NDSU gear. I have to think after watching this year play out, he has to be thinking where was Collins a year ago. I know when Maggie made her decision there really wasn't much of  a decision to be made with Walseth at NDSU. And more goes into it than basketball. She may very well have chosen UND anyway. But as a basketball coach himself, he must look at the two coaches and think his daughter is getting cheated out of being coached into a better basketball player. 

Did you ask Ross how many phone calls, texts, Snaps, DMs or emails Maggie got from Walseth/NDSU in the recruitment process? 

The answer will astound you.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:04 PM, nd1sufan said:

I am thinking if Brew stays at UND, and at this point he will unless he is fired, and if NDSU is able to keep Collins, I think you may need to get used to it. 

Remember this: Brewster wasn't hired by Chaves. Chaves will have every incentive to put his own guy in there, especially if the team isn't doing well.

13 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Did you ask Ross how many phone calls, texts, Snaps, DMs or emails Maggie got from Walseth/NDSU in the recruitment process? 

The answer will astound you.

Are you saying they didn’t recruit her at all? It wouldn’t surprise me. I think Walseth didn’t think ND or ND girls were good enough for her.