SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 - 20 Women’s BB Season

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

UND has given up 92, 99, and 91 their last three games.

Does Brew get a 3 year or 5 year extension?  Simple question.

If you're a head coach how are you not embarrassed??

• 3 weeks later...

I have been watching women's basketball program having difficult time trying to figure out what is the next step for the program. Brewster I have been very critical in the past because he has hard time getting performance out the  girls he has recruited.  His ability to recruit and find good players is not question but for me the question is after this he seems to have hard time developing these players to next level for the program. This is my analysis as watching from outside in. Lately the style of basketball were trying to play it seems were trying to go to fast instead of taking advantages of the talent we have put them in good positions to win a few of these match ups. Also this leads us to playing poor basketball. Second is this current team is loaded with talent but we need one or two players that are in charge of this team. But with 10 person rotation there is nobody who is leader of this team and it show when we get into crunch times. In the past when we had players stepping up to this they seemed to be squashed or eventually left to play some where else. Example of this was Freije girl who left for Montana State where she is playing right now and is inline to be Big Sky MVP candidate. She has good season and on team that could reach NCAA this year. But getting back to UND is there something I not seeing and I know this is young team but I feel we haven't made any improvements in last couple of weeks if anything we have gone a little backwards.  I look to NDSU with there team and they don't have near the talent we have but I look at there team and they are making improvement as the season is going along. I think right now UND will have hard time to beat them at home now. This brings us back to Brew and I wonder if we don't need a change or can he turn things around . 

Just now, UND1983 said:

I think you're overestimating the talent level on the team... SDSU and USD appear much better, physically and skills wise

I don't think UND has a current player that would be a top 6 player at USD.

1 hour ago, UND1983 said:

I think you're overestimating the talent level on the team... SDSU and USD appear much better, physically and skills wise

I think you are right. I think UND has very good athletes in their WBB team, but not necessarily great BB players. And it really does appear that Brew just tells them to get the ball up the court and get a shot off as fast as possible, then make or miss, press full court no matter the situation. I was for years envious of the state of WBB program of UND over NDSU’s. Right now I am not. Just observing from the outside. But it will never get as bad in GF as the last decade of women’s basketball has been in Fargo.

Too Many True Freshman playing right now.  I like the Freshman class they just should not be playing as much as they are right now.  Give these ladies a couple years and I think they can compete for a Summit championship.  The Team is really missing Melissa Leet and i think that is why they are playing so reckless.  If they let the opponent get set up they get killed in the paint.  Right now no team in the Summit is able to play with USD not ever SDSU.  They seem to be the best Women's Basketball team since any of the Dakota schools have joined the Summit.  It will be interesting to see how they do in the NCAA tournament.

"You look at where we're at right now with our record, and that's without Melissa Leet in the lineup. There are some things we have to do better, but I'm proud of what this group has accomplished and in some of the things we saw tonight," said Brewster in the postgame.

after loss to western Illinois 

idk. Have we accomplished much this year? Shouldn’t we have strong players in every class. Idk?

1 hour ago, SiouxFan100 said:

"You look at where we're at right now with our record, and that's without Melissa Leet in the lineup. There are some things we have to do better, but I'm proud of what this group has accomplished and in some of the things we saw tonight," said Brewster in the postgame.

after loss to western Illinois 

idk. Have we accomplished much this year? Shouldn’t we have strong players in every class. Idk?

I think Brew may possibly be overestimating the loss of Leet a bit. I remember her playing some the last two years, but not sure it is a major loss. My guess is she may have averaged more fouls per game than points or rebounds. 

40 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I think Brew may possibly be overestimating the loss of Leet a bit. I remember her playing some the last two years, but not sure it is a major loss. My guess is she may have averaged more fouls per game than points or rebounds. 

They were better defensively with Leet in the game but yah, not that big of a deal.  Excuses

The freshmen on this team are talented and are going to get better. Leet was player making the jump this year in what she had learned in past couple of seasons and not having her has hurt this team defensively and offensively. Jaclyn Jarnot  has struggled as the season has gone along and I don't know the reason for this but I have seen this with other players under Brew. I wonder if it not where these players are put in position to succeed and soon loose confidence in there game. I don't see how we haven't addressed the turnover issue this has been problem now for at least 4 years and has been getting worse. This last game we had 28 turnovers to Western Illinois 15 reflecting 13 minus turnover at over a point a turnover this alone is where we lost this game. Not to mention amount of fouls we commit a game and points given up on fouls. Pretty hard to overcome these two areas and win a basketball game. This game is not only game where this has been happening for UND and I have seen no addressing this either in there play or even coaching staff talking about it.  I still like this team and they have a lot of talent if it is used right but right now were off track with style of basketball were trying to play especially in the Summit league.