SiouxSports.com Forum

High School

SiouxFan100

9 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Shout out to the Rugby girls basketball team on making it to the class b championship 

2 really good semifinals games last night. I'll give Kindred the nod tonight vs Rugby........62-47

• 6 months later...
3 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I agree on Isaiah.  I wasn't sure last year but I think he has gotten a step faster, and with another spring track season he could improve further with speed.  As mentioned, he's a natural at RB, super strong, shifty, really hard to tackle.  He could take college carrys right now at UND and you wouldn't notice a drop off.  Part of that is our backfield has been disappointing, but it speaks to Isaiah being one of those college ready kids.  UND should offer.

Max would like a shot at QB in college, but he won't get to show much in High School.(DL too stubborn running the ball vrs. overmatched opponents) (will cost them in playoffs)  So Max's recruiting will be tricky unless colleges can bring him in after season to throw the ball for more of a college QB look.  (All the coaches know at UND, NDSU, SDSU and on down- Max broke his arm last spring in a hoops alley-opp gone wrong, so no summer camps, which was devastating)  His dad not only played high level baseball, but as a pitcher throwing in the mid 90s MPH in the minors.  I think, QB, TE, and OLB.  I don't know about safety and part of that will be because he will likely be too big for safety.  So Max's recruiting is tricky, but huge upside to a maturing kid, that IRA has a history of identifying.

Going to hijack a for a second since it got brought up, but Minnesota really needs to adjust DL's schedule as they are way to big and good for the local AAA teams that they have to play.  And none of the AAA teams want to play them but are forced to.  I think it was a year or two ago I was looking at their and Fergus schedule and Fergus had to play up a class multiple times and down only once while DL had to play down like 3 times and up only once.

Just checked and DL only plays one game against a 4A school which is their classification and the rest are against AAA competition with a school or two being half their size.  They don't have any control of this, but it's strange and will obviously affect their players getting recruited.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Fergus moved down to AAA this year.

• Upvote 1

Until Mn High School league requires Section play during season there are a number of schools who either play up or down or have extensive travel. For a number of years DL was traveling to southern Mn (Blue Earth, New Ulm) N. Dak. (Bismarck, Wahpeton, Shanley, Fargo North, GF Red River) the Range (Grand Rapids, Duluth East, Duluth Central, Hibbing, Virginia). At one time, DL, EGF, Crookston, Fergus Falls, Thief River Falls played each other competitively. The Range schools aren’t anywhere near as good cuz the hockey players quit playing FB and other communities have smaller enrollments plus participation is down. Colleges still recruit these kids. Thompson and Gunderson would start at any level in NDak or Mn. DL scrimmages Moorhead and Bemidji every year and held their own. 

11 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Going to hijack a for a second since it got brought up, but Minnesota really needs to adjust DL's schedule as they are way to big and good for the local AAA teams that they have to play.  And none of the AAA teams want to play them but are forced to.  I think it was a year or two ago I was looking at their and Fergus schedule and Fergus had to play up a class multiple times and down only once while DL had to play down like 3 times and up only once.

Just checked and DL only plays one game against a 4A school which is their classification and the rest are against AAA competition with a school or two being half their size.  They don't have any control of this, but it's strange and will obviously affect their players getting recruited.

Edit: Forgot to mention that Fergus moved down to AAA this year.

Going to be interesting to see how they change that in 2021-22 (that's when sections get their major overhaul and new districts are drawn up).  They really should try to make district play more of "you need to schedule at least 5 games against district opponents, then you can schedule up to 3 amount of games outside of it"  That could open it up for bigger sized districts (like DL has) to schedule outside of it if they wanted to. 

I think they also need to change their enrollment formula over at MSHSL

I was fully against section football 10 years ago, now I am on the other side

2 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Until Mn High School league requires Section play during season there are a number of schools who either play up or down or have extensive travel. For a number of years DL was traveling to southern Mn (Blue Earth, New Ulm) N. Dak. (Bismarck, Wahpeton, Shanley, Fargo North, GF Red River) the Range (Grand Rapids, Duluth East, Duluth Central, Hibbing, Virginia). At one time, DL, EGF, Crookston, Fergus Falls, Thief River Falls played each other competitively. The Range schools aren’t anywhere near as good cuz the hockey players quit playing FB and other communities have smaller enrollments plus participation is down. Colleges still recruit these kids. Thompson and Gunderson would start at any level in NDak or Mn. DL scrimmages Moorhead and Bemidji every year and held their own. 

Unfortunately, I think seeding 1-8 at state tournaments and shot clocks come before they do that (although that would be the easiest fix).   Marshall and DL would be a good matchup.  Both schools have similar issues in scheduling

• Upvote 1

There is talk in MN about the conferences so large geographically and the cost to transport teams. Actually, some of the non-conference games are much further... picking the best competition in the state. This is from all sports... plus the MSHSL is in the red, big time. Usually the state hockey (and BB?)  tournaments’ revenue funds many of the other state tournaments.

My understanding is the MN schools don't get any choice in who they get to play in football.  They are thrown into a conference and then only get a couple out of section games, but I think even those are assigned "rivalry" games.  This was all down a few years back, because some schools had such a hard time scheduling.  And I certainly could be wrong on this, but I know Pequot and Park Rapids are on EGF's schedule every year and Pequot is like 4 hours away.  I can't imagine the school truly wants to go that far to play. Roseau used to be on, but got switched out when they dropped down a class.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

My understanding is the MN schools don't get any choice in who they get to play in football.  They are thrown into a conference and then only get a couple out of section games, but I think even those are assigned "rivalry" games.  This was all down a few years back, because some schools had such a hard time scheduling.  And I certainly could be wrong on this, but I know Pequot and Park Rapids are on EGF's schedule every year and Pequot is like 4 hours away.  I can't imagine the school truly wants to go that far to play. Roseau used to be on, but got switched out when they dropped down a class.

Conferences are put together by the schools for all sports.

The issue is what the MSHSL calls “district scheduling”. From the bylaws:

https://legacy.mshsl.org/mshsl/publications/code/athletic/Football.pdf

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

MSHSL has announced a special board meeting on Sept 21st.

So will I be watching some HS FB by Oct 2nd?  Stay tuned. 

By the time the MSHSL gets their act together and finally caves it will be thanksgiving.  Then, high five each other on a job well done to bring football back.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sioux27 said:

By the time the MSHSL gets their act together and finally caves it will be thanksgiving.  Then, high five each other on a job well done to bring football back.

My thought are this:   It’s either this (Oct 2nd rumored date) or they kick it to spring.

However.... the same rumor stated VB wouldn’t start until after MEA. So this would all but guarantee a delay to winter sports.

My prediction:  Get the pads and nets ready. 

26 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

My thought are this:   It’s either this (Oct 2nd rumored date) or they kick it to spring.

However.... the same rumor stated VB wouldn’t start until after MEA. So this would all but guarantee a delay to winter sports.

My prediction:  Get the pads and nets ready. 

YES PLEASE!!!

3 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Sheyenne vs Shanley on WDAYx tonight.

I think Sheyenne is the better team by more than a little. I hope I am wrong

Great game. Kenney from Shanley  just drilled a 58 yard FG.

FIFTY EIGHT YARDS.

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

About to see if MN will allow VB and FB to resume in the fall

Fingers crossed.

From those I know "in the know" they think the MSHSL will give both sports a shot to play next month.