SiouxSports.com Forum

UND at Denver

runaroundsioux

3 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Don’t know why people are thinking it will be any better next year with the coaching staff we have. They have neutered this team for two and 1/2 years.

Shaw has to go, that goes without saying. The power play is an abomination.  I've turned the corner and will give Berry next year before I start calling for his job. To say this has been a weird season is an understatement. The coaching staff in general has put this team in a great position and have seen great effort night after night, they just can't seem to put it together.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Berry: "Disappointing after the effort." "Had chances" "UND won 2 periods. 3rd was 50/50." "Got momentum off the 5x3 despite them scoring at the end of it." 

Hennessy: "two pipes. goal disallowed."

Berry: "I thought it was a good goal."

Berry: "Guys played their hardest and best. Gotta get rested up and get ready for Western." 

Odds are WMU sweeps us BUT in close/tight games with little scoring.  Man, I'm brilliant!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Denver is a nice team but nothing special (like us).  What's really odd, with how tough/close we've played good teams this season (as frustrated as I've been with our shortage of goals this season I do see improved offensive play lately from the boys), is that I think we have a better chance of WINNING (neutral ice, large contingent of Sioux fans, 1 game only vs ea opponent, opponent likely already qlfd for NCAA tourney regardless, etc.) in St Paul at Frozen Face-off IF we can make it there vs winning 2 out of 3 in 1st round at either Denver or W Mich.  We just gotta make it to St Paul, that's most likely the tuff part as I think conf tourney home ice is out the window.  If we don't win NCHC post-season conf tourney though no way in hell (stating the obvious I guess :blush:) we make NCAA tourney.

We're pretty much on standings watch at this point, which made losing that extra point so demoralizing tonight. This season is really starting me to not believe in percentages, or things will eventually even out, but one thing UND will have going for them in the Quarters is the team they are playing will most likely already be firmly in the NCAAs. I still like this team on the road in round one, especially against a team they are better than (Denver). Then it's down to two games, where again, they are playing for their NCAA lives. Of course last year they were and lost, when every other team that needed to win their conference tourney did. 

2 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Denver is a nice team but nothing special (like us).  What's really odd, with how tough/close we've played good teams this season (as frustrated as I've been with our shortage of goals this season I do see improved offensive play lately from the boys), is that I think we have a better chance of WINNING (neutral ice, large contingent of Sioux fans, 1 game only vs ea opponent, opponent likely already qlfd for NCAA tourney regardless, etc.) in St Paul at Frozen Face-off IF we can make it there vs winning 2 out of 3 in 1st round at either Denver or W Mich.  We just gotta make it to St Paul, that's most likely the tuff part as I think conf tourney home ice is out the window.  If we don't win NCHC post-season conf tourney though no way in hell (stating the obvious I guess :blush:) we make NCAA tourney.

Win the postseason tournament?  Better hope for all shutouts as this team just can not finish.  There are no Caggiula's, Boesers, Kristo's or even Luke Johnsons on this team.  Have to wonder what is going on with the coaching staff with this continuing into the 2nd year of putrid offensive punch.  Wolanin was our best hope last year and séems like our D-corps have a better chance of scoring than our forwards.  A number of these forwards were NHL draft picks, why can't any of them score consistently?

Thoughts from watching the highlights:

-Boy did the Hawks get jobbed on the no goal.  Contacted player into goalie....yikes.....thigh on thigh though I bet....

-Scheel tremendous.  Somebody get the kid a pass to Gamma Phi. 

-Game on Rhett's stick at the end.....tough play, but killed the logo. 

-Terrible plays defensively lead to highlight real goals.  Bast plays the body and we lose the extra point in the shootout instead of NHL all star game.

Did the what if calculator, we likely are back in Denver in March.  Hope the weather is nice. 

14 minutes ago, AJS said:

We're pretty much on standings watch at this point, which made losing that extra point so demoralizing tonight. This season is really starting me to not believe in percentages, or things will eventually even out, but one thing UND will have going for them in the Quarters is the team they are playing will most likely already be firmly in the NCAAs. I still like this team on the road in round one, especially against a team they are better than (Denver). Then it's down to two games, where again, they are playing for their NCAA lives. Of course last year they were and lost, when every other team that needed to win their conference tourney did. 

AJS, I think we're on the same thought process for most part.  Big point of mine is the teams they would play will already have made the NCAA tourney (as you note) regardless of NCHC post-season conf tourney result.  Don't know for sure though if I "like this team on the road in round one" to win 2 of 3 at Denver though (or even W Mich) with our away struggles despite all other circumstances though.  But, there's a chance... 

20 minutes ago, NoDak Fan said:

Did we miss the trading deadline?

I saw DU grabbed a solid (but not great) senior grad transfer player for this season from out east.  I sure hope to hell Mr. Berry is looking at that avenue as a potential source to elevate this team next season.  Could be a nice addition, sort of like getting Mr. Jones last season (although he was not a grad transfer so sat out a season I believe).

27 minutes ago, fsioux said:

Win the postseason tournament?  Better hope for all shutouts as this team just can not finish.  There are no Caggiula's, Boesers, Kristo's or even Luke Johnsons on this team.  Have to wonder what is going on with the coaching staff with this continuing into the 2nd year of putrid offensive punch.  Wolanin was our best hope last year and séems like our D-corps have a better chance of scoring than our forwards.  A number of these forwards were NHL draft picks, why can't any of them score consistently?

Hey, I hear you and agree with you.  Frustrating to say the least.  I seriously doubt we make the NCAA tourney but if we do/can, I'm just saying this is about the only way we can make it.  Odds though are admittedly against it (winning NCHC tourney).  I give Berry next season to put up or get out.   

15 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I said 0-8 in the next 8 was a real possibility two weeks ago...I’m on track for 1-7.  So close.

MM, you might be wrong in terms of "close".  You're just looking at wins.  You haven't accounted for puck luck it appears so can't put that on us (outside of our control).  I haven't checked the stats but aren't we 4-0 (or 3-1?) if looking at "wins" as winning SOG and face-offs won (percentage) only? 

Got tired of hearing Gardners name constantly getting called for Penalties so I decided to look it up to see if he was taking as many penalties as my ears kept telling me.

Sure enough, guy is 6th in the entire country in Penalty Minutes.

#1 if you exclude underclassman.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I said 0-8 in the next 8 was a real possibility two weeks ago...I’m on track for 1-7.  So close.

Hah.....you mean 1-6-1.  Tonight officially goes into the books as a tie.  So no chance that whole 7 loss thing happens.